Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting response Kassie and I'm always open to another's view on the big picture. On topic, our late adopted young adult poodle became protective and I honestly feel that she was returning the favor. I believe this too, our current 45lb young little girl could physically rip me apart if it had bad intent.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Interesting response Kassie and I'm always open to another's view on the big picture. On topic, our late adopted young adult poodle became protective and I honestly feel that she was returning the favor. I believe this too, our current 45lb young little girl could physically rip me apart if it had bad intent.

I believe this to be true. Blessed are the voiceless ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
So going forward, I know my young male shepherd will not tolerate a large breed male dog around. He will love a female.
Interesting, my male Spoo doesn't seem to go by whether another dog is male of female. He just likes some dogs much better than others, regardless of gender. If we get another dog, he will get to choose :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Super spoo Australia

Grace is 59 lbs of muscle, sinew and bone. She carries very little fat. She stands 25 in and is slightly smaller than her mother. Spoos are bigger in OZ. She carries her tail and head high in any company. Her face is usually in a grin. All of life is a game. Sometimes she makes the rules sometimes I do. She is calm collected and obedient (except when exited) ie. Daddy! the people are running, jumping and swimming again. I want to join in!!! Jump Jump yelp! whine! in front of the TV Olympics. She is so used to my (NO!! SIT!!) that now she looks at me without my saying anything and runs from the TV and out through her door to cool off. When she has, she comes back in and sits at the TV looking over her shoulder at me for reinforcement.

I would not like to run foul of her on a dark night. You see nothing, unless she shows the whites of her eyes and then look out. She is not aggressive but she can look after herself (she has been taught how to do this. Stay behind or retire. Make a lot of noise. Wait for Daddy. He will tell you what to do.)

When she was but 2 y/o and 57 lb we were attacked by a thief with a knife who asked for money. She stayed behind me while I asked the thief to leave. He, being drunk, was not going to see reason. While I kept his attention in front, Grace slipped behind as she was taught. I signaled (by hand and mouth (get him!) Grace grabbed his knife arm by the elbow from behind. He dropped the knife. I landed a nice one in his gut. Grace bit his leg and he gave up screaming, (The dog! The dog!) Later a police Sargent made the report: The defendant was attacked by an unknown dog who could not be traced! The magistrate gave a knowing look and remanded the man in custody for trial.

Grace will occasionally body slam me on the beach. She thinks I am indestructible and bigger than her. The weight of her body will knock me (220 lbs 6 ft) to the ground without effort. I'm getting too old for this! She does come back and lick me to death afterward. God I love this dog!!!
I think she loves me?
Never underestimate a spoo!
Eric.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
Eric I hope never to have a knife wielding robber be in my way, but wow Grace you did good there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Grace is 59 lbs of muscle, sinew and bone. She carries very little fat. She stands 25 in and is slightly smaller than her mother. Spoos are bigger in OZ. She carries her tail and head high in any company. Her face is usually in a grin. All of life is a game. Sometimes she makes the rules sometimes I do. She is calm collected and obedient (except when exited) ie. Daddy! the people are running, jumping and swimming again. I want to join in!!! Jump Jump yelp! whine! in front of the TV Olympics. She is so used to my (NO!! SIT!!) that now she looks at me without my saying anything and runs from the TV and out through her door to cool off. When she has, she comes back in and sits at the TV looking over her shoulder at me for reinforcement.

I would not like to run foul of her on a dark night. You see nothing, unless she shows the whites of her eyes and then look out. She is not aggressive but she can look after herself (she has been taught how to do this. Stay behind or retire. Make a lot of noise. Wait for Daddy. He will tell you what to do.)

When she was but 2 y/o and 57 lb we were attacked by a thief with a knife who asked for money. She stayed behind me while I asked the thief to leave. He, being drunk, was not going to see reason. While I kept his attention in front, Grace slipped behind as she was taught. I signaled (by hand and mouth (get him!) Grace grabbed his knife arm by the elbow from behind. He dropped the knife. I landed a nice one in his gut. Grace bit his leg and he gave up screaming, (The dog! The dog!) Later a police Sargent made the report: The defendant was attacked by an unknown dog who could not be traced! The magistrate gave a knowing look and remanded the man in custody for trial.

Grace will occasionally body slam me on the beach. She thinks I am indestructible and bigger than her. The weight of her body will knock me (220 lbs 6 ft) to the ground without effort. I'm getting too old for this! She does come back and lick me to death afterward. God I love this dog!!!
I think she loves me?
Eric.

I love it!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

I think she loves me?
Eric.
I trust that the unknown, untraceable dog who attacked the bad guy in this incident, later received lots of VERY yummy treats, in addition to many many hugs!?

VQ

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Controlled Aggression

I trust that the unknown, untraceable dog who attacked the bad guy in this incident, later received lots of VERY yummy treats, in addition to many many hugs!��

VQ
Grace got her yummy meal after the work was done.

She watched the guy (from a safe distance) while I rang the police, In Katherine, He was known to them. The guy seemed relieved to be arrested but complained about the savage dog! The police Sargent came to the trailer park to see me the next day. He said something along the lines of "I can see your poodle would never hurt a fly! The savage dog who attacked must have been from another trailer. looks like they left." I attended court, after flying back on the courts expense, I was asked by the magistrate what kind of dog I had. I replied a poodle. The magistrate gave me a piercing look and sent the guy down for a year. (He should have got 4 and when he complained about his one year the Magistrate said " I have reduced your sentence because of the grievous injuries you received in being apprehended but if you like I can change my mind on the matter." Now, if I had had a GSD it might have been different? Sometimes the frou frou image can be useful but spoos are no idiots and I can see an untrained or poorly trained spoo being a dangerous dog. Their weight is not far short of that of a GSD but their speed and agility are phenomenal. I play attack games with grace and she has been taught to stay behind an attacker. She can avoid most any attack I make on her but her attacks on me are often successful. I am slow nowadays but a good friend of hers and mine played the same game with her. He is 30 y/o, a fit Policeman and dog handler. He was unable to avoid her and took half a dozen play bites in as many seconds. His comment was "Wow! you never see her coming!" He is No. 1 on the list of people who will take Grace if I should leave this world. The list is a long one. She is well loved in her community.

Standard Poodles are placid and non aggressive because they don't need to be aggressive. They retire and nut things out. But as anyone who has watched a spoo play fight will know, They are powerful fast and deadly. I think they know this. You can tell by the way they carry themselves. Tail up, Head up, Don't mess with me sort of. If they have never played with other big dogs or play fought with humans they might be more lay-back.

Eric

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
Since it has been oppressively hot here for most of the last couple of weeks I have not had the dogs out in the yard other than for the basics of potty time and a little gentle trot patrol of the border if they wanted. Needless to say that means that the poodles have lots of untapped energy. I got to my club early this morning since the air conditioning there is very good so that they could have a good poodle wrestling match. They are both very fast and very willing to engage at close quarters. They don't hurt each other, just play bites and if one gets annoyed with the other there will be a little growly face (mostly from Lily towards Javvy). My friend who helps me has had Aussies and doesn't know too many poodles other than mine. She was impressed by how vigorous their play was and I am sure she would agree with me that they would be very good protectors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I knew in my heart, a SPoo was in my future. I wish the membership to know that I read each post with no judgement. Every person has a different experience. But the heart of the SPoo has courage. This has been adamantly made clear. Thank you all!

·
Registered
445 Posts
We have two standard poodles, and I personally don't think they'd help at all with regard to protection. We live in the country and I protect THEM from wildlife, not the opposite, lol. We have guns in the house; you need to take a couple of courses (C.O.R.E. and P.A.L.) and register to get guns, but we have a few for hunting and predator protection. However, it all depends on the line I guess. Some breeders probably produce more protective poodles.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
We have two standard poodles, and I personally don't think they'd help at all with regard to protection. We live in the country and I protect THEM from wildlife, not the opposite, lol. We have guns in the house; you need to take a couple of courses (C.O.R.E. and P.A.L.) and register to get guns, but we have a few for hunting and predator protection. However, it all depends on the line I guess. Some breeders probably produce more protective poodles.
Thank you Poodlemanic . I have a Standard Poodle for a Service Dog. Yours has been the first post that has given me a sigh of relief. Service Dogs cannot be aggressive, protective, or trained for protection.

I have actually been frightened reading most of these posts. They have caused me to have a big stomachache. If I had read this thread before I got a Spoo for my Service Dog I never would have gotten one.

And I love my SD Spoo to bits. And he is not aggressive, and totally gentle. A 2 year old can ask him to sit or lay down and he will. He would probably try to kiss a burglar.

Poodlemanic, I would like to know who your breeder is, so I could put them on my consideration list for my next SD, or who to recommend for those looking for Spoo SD's.

And for those of you with aggressive Spoos, I would like to know those breeders too so that I can avoid them. Thank you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you Poodlemanic . I have a Standard Poodle for a Service Dog. Yours has been the first post that has given me a sigh of relief. Service Dogs cannot be aggressive, protective, or trained for protection.

I have actually been frightened reading most of these posts. They have caused me to have a big stomachache. If I had read this thread before I got a Spoo for my Service Dog I never would have gotten one.

And I love my SD Spoo to bits. And he is not aggressive, and totally gentle. A 2 year old can ask him to sit or lay down and he will. He would probably try to kiss a burglar.

Poodlemanic, I would like to know who your breeder is, so I could put them on my consideration list for my next SD, or who to recommend for those looking for Spoo SD's.

And for those of you with aggressive Spoos, I would like to know those breeders too so that I can avoid them. Thank you.
Aren't there German Shepherds that are service dogs? They can certainly be trained to be protective.
As far as poodles talked about here, I don't know if I'd call them aggressive so much as protective - and that is likely temperament and training. Instead of choosing only specific breeders it might be more beneficial to speak with a good breeder about what your needs are and have them help you choose an appropriate puppy based on temperament. I don't think any good breeder is aiming for aggressive poodles.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

As you are now aware it all depends on the breeding and training. Grace loves everyone she meets and in regarded as non aggressive. She has been trained to show aggression on command and to cease and retire also on command. Her breeding is from hunting stock both Australian and German. Her Sire was a good gun dog and her Dam points. Your spoo will not breach her training and become aggressive, period.
Eric

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
As you are now aware it all depends on the breeding and training.
Yes, I am aware. And because it does depend on breeding as well as training is the reason I want to know which breeders have dogs that are aggressive so that I do not use them. That is why I asked for the names of the breeders for those poodles that folks are talking about here that are being protective.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Aren't there German Shepherds that are service dogs? They can certainly be trained to be protective.
As far as poodles talked about here, I don't know if I'd call them aggressive so much as protective - and that is likely temperament and training. Instead of choosing only specific breeders it might be more beneficial to speak with a good breeder about what your needs are and have them help you choose an appropriate puppy based on temperament. I don't think any good breeder is aiming for aggressive poodles.
I haven't actually read anything in this entire thread about aggressive poodles. There is a difference between protective and aggressive. Poodles are, in general, pretty protective dogs. Of their owners, of their human kids, of their property. FYI: Aggressiveness generally rules a dog OUT from being able to be trained as a personal protection dog. There's a pretty good chance that the same instincts that would make a poodle trainable for protection would make a poodle trainable to be a service dog. Both tasks require a sound temperament without aggression or fearfulness.

Kontiki - you are asking for the names of breeders with poodles who have protective instincts? I feel pretty comfortable saying that that would include all breeders. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! 'What aggressive poodles?!' I haven't seen anything in this thread to indicate that anyone has an aggressive poodle. Please let's also not forget that service dogs go through extensive socialization and very specific training. They are even sometimes very much conditioned to ignore everyone save their handler. To me this is comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well, I had written a super long post, and then the page reloaded and I lost it.

Basically I agree with CM and shell. I'll just add my thoughts. My initial exposure to dog training as a teenager was through someone who worked with police dogs/Schutzhund/personal protection dogs (those 3 things all have slightly different requirements, btw). Based on my somewhat limited experience, I can tell you this - aggression will absolutely wash a dog out of any reputable training program for any of those 3 disciplines. What they do require is a confident, well adjusted, well socialized dog. The biggest temperament trait that separates those dogs from service dog candidates is drive. Service dogs can also be a bit softer. There can be a range of temperaments in any one litter from what I've seen evaluating puppies. So I think it's totally possible for some of the higher drive "harder" dogs in a litter to go on to excel at Schutzhund/protection/police work while the softer, less driven puppies could become service candidates.

Hans is certainly not aggressive - I posted in another thread about how he reacted favorably when a random (adult) tackled him into a bear hug (which is a lot to ask any dog to tolerate). He can pass a public access test, and he goes to work with me every day (he is not a service dog, I'm self employed so I get to do that). His brother is a service dog. I met the brother as a puppy, and he's less intense than Hans - I don't think Hans would do well with being expected to sit/lay calmly for long periods of time like his brother does. That said, he still barks briefly when someone strange is at the gate (which I find helpful so I know someone is there). His "speak" just happens to look scary, even if he's barking for a cookie.

And on the occasion that we were walking alone and we encountered a person that made me feel threatened, Hans did not bark but reacted with confident, assertive body language (I removed us to a safe location - I've been the victim before, and learned to listen to my instincts or my dog's instincts rather than waiting to see if someone actually means harm). Based on my previous experiences I'm a big believer that dogs pick up on body language or some other cues that humans miss, so when my dog who has happily met 1000s of people (I'm not exaggerating) looked, well, serious, for lack of a better description I took that as a warning that I needed to pay attention to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I haven't actually read anything in this entire thread about aggressive poodles. There is a difference between protective and aggressive. Poodles are, in general, pretty protective dogs. Of their owners, of their human kids, of their property. FYI: Aggressiveness generally rules a dog OUT from being able to be trained as a personal protection dog. There's a pretty good chance that the same instincts that would make a poodle trainable for protection would make a poodle trainable to be a service dog. Both tasks require a sound temperament without aggression or fearfulness.

Kontiki - you are asking for the names of breeders with poodles who have protective instincts? I feel pretty comfortable saying that that would include all breeders. :)
You quoted my post in this reply but I don't think any of these poodles are agressive so I hope that's not what you were thinking. Kontiki is the one who asked about aggressive poodles.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts