Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been looking ALL OVER the net trying to find a test facility for Addison's is there one????? I also have not found any test kits for SA, Ki-ki has an 8 yr Guar. against these 2 things, but I still want to have her tested yearly so that we know sooner if it pops up, but I can not find anywhere that has them. The punch test for the SA is explained on a couple I found but nothing else, has anyone else seen any????

·
Registered
843 Posts
ACTH Stimulation Test

This is the most specific test for diagnosing Addison's disease. In this test, blood cortisol, urine cortisol, or both are measured before and after a synthetic form of ACTH is given by injection. In the so-called short, or rapid, ACTH test, measurement of cortisol in blood is repeated 30 to 60 minutes after an intravenous ACTH injection. The normal response after an injection of ACTH is a rise in blood and urine cortisol levels. Patients with either form of adrenal insufficiency respond poorly or do not respond at all.

This is done at the vet.
The dog has to stay there for a bit.

Is this what you were looking for?
Or are you trying to find a kit and perform the test yourself?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for a kit, but only because I was not sure of the procedure, I will call my vet to find out how much this test will cost so I can get ready for it, do you know if it is a 1x a year thing or is it like NE and vWD a once in a lifetime. I also found the only place that does the SA, UC Davis, they have a link giving instruction for the vet to do the SA punch and how to store it and where to send it, but the link is not working. Does anyone else know where I might be able to find the info??? Thank You Spoofan!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think that I would test for Addison annually.
Usually they do the test if the dog is not feeling well,to eliminate Addison as a cause,along with blood work etc.
The one test I do is the Titer test that gives you your pup's level of immunity against diseases that require vaccinations.
Gunther had his rabies in order to cross the borders,but I will not vaccinate him anymore.
Poodles are extra susceptible to adverse reactions from vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't think that I would test for Addison annually.
Usually they do the test if the dog is not feeling well,to eliminate Addison as a cause,along with blood work etc.
The one test I do is the Titer test that gives you your pup's level of immunity against diseases that require vaccinations.
Gunther had his rabies in order to cross the borders,but I will not vaccinate him anymore.
Poodles are extra susceptible to adverse reactions from vaccinations.
Thought about that, but in this state they do not accept the Titer test for Rabies.... :thinking:

I checked on the symptoms of Addison's and she does not have those even though she has been under the weather with her tummy, so I will not be testing her for that, but will still be looking for the SA.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thought about that, but in this state they do not accept the Titer test for Rabies.... :thinking:

I checked on the symptoms of Addison's and she does not have those even though she has been under the weather with her tummy, so I will not be testing her for that, but will still be looking for the SA.
What do you mean by 'not accept'?
Is the rabies vaccine mandatory where you live?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts