Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a fast and easy sewing pattern (or cheap Amazon reference) for a sweater/coat that would fit a spoo with a 26" back?

So... I finally did it. I gave in to coat change, and shaved Annie with a 7F and cut off her banded topknot, and shaved her ears with a 1" comb. She's still cute, I spend almost no time brushing, but she is also cold.

I sleep with my bedroom at about 10 C (50F). Ever since I shaved her, she ends up chasing me around the bed during the night, trying to keep warm. I wake up multiple times in the night and have to move her over because I somehow have ended up crunched up in an awkward ball. She won't keep a blanket on.

She does have a Shedrow Tundra coat, but it's pretty bulky for indoor use.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I like Chilly dog sweaters. They’re a little more Money but nice quality, and hug the thin poodle body well. I often find with the cheap sweaters that they are loose around the neck. I have small dogs but they make sweaters for very big dogs too, up to 120 lbs.

I just shaved Gracie (13 months old) down with a 4 blade because she was too matted to deal with the coat change anymore. Kept the top knot and ears but the beautiful poms are gone, and her long skinny legs really stand out now! It’s hair, it will grow. And yes, she’s wearing a sweater now, this Chilly dog one.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
These are my favourite, and have been for years:

They're affordable, snug fitting but not restrictive, and the seams are intended to be worn on the outside, making them super comfy for extended wear.

They're perhaps not the most "fashionable" option, but the comfiest stuff so rarely is.

My Peggy and Gracie:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Carolinek - Annie's also 13 months, and we both so tired of brushing... I have no regrets, though once coat change is over, I'd like to go back to a long topknot. I really like those Chillly sweaters - out of the budget for now with the exchange rate + shipping. Mom has one for her little dog though, and it's really nice.

PtP - Those look plenty stylish to me!! We used to have a fleece coat (in leopard print) for my childhood mini mix, and it was the best thing ever. The Goldpaw onesies are absolutely adorable - I'm imagining my black spoo in one of these...

Out of my price range for now, but I imagine something similar to the coat Gracie and Peggy are wearing would be easy enough to sew, and I like how there isn't any velcro in that style. I think i will run over to Giant Tiger tonight and buying a cheap fleece blanket and try to sew one.

Rose n Poos - that looks perfect! Reasonably priced, and it's available on the Canadian amazon, and looks like it would be washable, so also perfect for my annual "before the snow melts" spring camping trip!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thirteen months is an interesting age, Gracie is 50% really rude puppy and 50% OMG you’re going to be a wonderful dog. Probably a lot like a 17 year old girl. I love her but she is sometimes like a wrecking ball coming through the house!

Pinterest has a lot of good patterns. Here is link to one- not sure if you crochet but it looks pretty easy

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Thirteen months is an interesting age, Gracie is 50% really rude puppy and 50% OMG you’re going to be a wonderful dog. Probably a lot like a 17 year old girl. I love her but she is sometimes like a wrecking ball coming through the house!

Pinterest has a lot of good patterns. Here is link to one- not sure if you crochet but it looks pretty easy

Oh no. That sounds like Peggy at 7.5 months!! I was hoping by 13 months it would be more like 25% / 75% ?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I
Alas, I don't crochet. Or rather, if I was to start crocheting, I might finish something by NEXT winter. I don't have much patience or persistence, but can sometimes finish small sewing projects. I looked around for sewing patterns, but the ones I saw were either very small, or seemed to have velcro/buckles, which I don't want on something for sleeping. Whatever I do will be crude, I admit!

Oh no. That sounds like Peggy at 7.5 months!! I was hoping by 13 months it would be more like 25% / 75% ?
Annie's probably at 10-25% /90-75%. But the 10-25% is... memorable... lol. And I definitely handle it better when I am well-rested.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Lol- depends on the day! They say minis are the most energetic of the sizes so Peggy may get there quicker!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you like the shape of the heavier coat you have but just think that it is too bulky, you can get a piece of fleece fabric and lay out the coat you have onto the fabric and carefully cut around it. Fleece is pretty stretchy so you can probably just sew it up instead of velcro if you don't want to fight with velcro in bed at night (or buttons would be pretty cute too). I made a quick coat like this for my spoo this fall when our temperatures dropped dramatically overnight (I copied a raincoat that we had for him).

Our boy is 12 months now...I'm dreading the puppy hair change...I think that we are going to probably be shaving him down too when it happens...but I will miss his shaggy muzzle and feet so much...

Hope that you find something to keep Annie warm!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you like the shape of the heavier coat you have but just think that it is too bulky, you can get a piece of fleece fabric and lay out the coat you have onto the fabric and carefully cut around it. Fleece is pretty stretchy so you can probably just sew it up instead of velcro if you don't want to fight with velcro in bed at night (or buttons would be pretty cute too). I made a quick coat like this for my spoo this fall when our temperatures dropped dramatically overnight (I copied a raincoat that we had for him).

Our boy is 12 months now...I'm dreading the puppy hair change...I think that we are going to probably be shaving him down too when it happens...but I will miss his shaggy muzzle and feet so much...

Hope that you find something to keep Annie warm!!
Welcome to poodle forum! That's a good idea about copying our existing coat - it's the wrong style i think (it's a horse blanket style, so no leg holes) but at least it would give me the length/neckline. And yeah, buttons would be super cute.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My girls hate coats of any kind, even when it's really cold LOL, but it makes me feel better LOL. I've got heavy winter coats (Weatherbeeta and Foggy Mountain) for when it's super cold, but for other times when it's chilly enough that I want them to have something on I love the fleece coats from Dover Saddlery....they have plenty of coverage and the fleece absorbs their body heat well and keeps them nice and toasty. I've also used them when it's been cold out (well not single digits LOL) when I've crated in the car occasionally at shows and they've been warm enough curled up in these in their crates that I don't even have to keep the car running with heat on......

Attachments

Reactions: For Want of Poodle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts