Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6.5 month old standard poodle boy, and he has an umbilical hernia. We have 2 conflicting recommendations: to wait until he is a year old to neuter him and fix the hernia, or to fix the hernia now and neuter him at 7 months. We have read the evidence behind waiting until he is older to neuter him, but do those benefits outweigh the hernia and warrant risking waiting another few months? We just want to do what is best for our boy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,964 Posts
I would opt to have both things taken care of at the same time if you are sure you are going to neuter. We leave our male dogs intact since there is not such clear evidence of health benefits for desexing males and there is for females. If your pup is currently 6 1/2 months old then I certainly don't get why it is being suggested to do the hernia surgery now and the neuter in just a couple of weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should clarify, the 2 conflicting options are to do the hernia repair and neuter now (when he is only about 7 months) or to put the hernia repair and neuter off until he is a year old, a few more months.

We are trying to weigh the risks of putting off the hernia repair for a few more months against the studies about neutering a SPoo before at least a year of age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,291 Posts
I fostered a 6 year old girl who had an umbilical hernia. She had been a breeder's dog and had had 5 or 6 litters before coming to me. The hernia had caused no problems at all though all of those pregnancies. I had her spayed before placing her in a new home and her hernia was repaired then. This was a small hernia. Larger hernias can be more problematic. My understanding is that waiting on the hernia repair would not be any problem at all for most hernias. Your vet should be able examine this hernia, and tell you if there is any danger in waiting.

I agree that delaying neutering (or leaving the dog intact) is better than neutering before the dog is a year old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Spoo puppy with umbelical hernia

We have a 6.5 month old standard poodle boy, and he has an umbilical hernia. We have 2 conflicting recommendations: to wait until he is a year old to neuter him and fix the hernia, or to fix the hernia now and neuter him at 7 months. We have read the evidence behind waiting until he is older to neuter him, but do those benefits outweigh the hernia and warrant risking waiting another few months? We just want to do what is best for our boy.
Did you get him from a responsible breeder? If so, was the hernia disclosed to you at the time you purchased him/were you aware of it at time of purchase? Many breeders will pay the additional cost of the hernia repair at the time of neuter/spay. If you did get him from a breeder I would discuss it with them....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a 6.5 month old standard poodle boy, and he has an umbilical hernia. We have 2 conflicting recommendations: to wait until he is a year old to neuter him and fix the hernia, or to fix the hernia now and neuter him at 7 months. We have read the evidence behind waiting until he is older to neuter him, but do those benefits
outweigh the hernia and warrant risking waiting another few months? We just want to do what is best for our boy.
Did you get him from a responsible breeder? If so, was the hernia disclosed to you at the time you purchased him/were you aware of it at time of purchase? Many breeders will pay the additional cost of the hernia repair at the time of neuter/spay. If you did get him from a breeder I would discuss it with them....
Yes, we did get him from a responsible breeder who did disclose the hernia and also addressed the cost of the hernia repair. But neither of those factors have an impact on the question of differing vet opinions in this case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
I think only a vet can tell you if it’s okay to wait to have the hernia fixed.

No matter what the answer to this question is, my position on neutering is to wait until the male dog is fully grown, around 18 months. There are a lot of pros and cons, and it’s really a matter of personal preference. But after a whole lot of research, I chose the late neutering for my own dog. And this is what I will do for future ones as well.

If I were you, I would repair the hernia now if that’s what is needed, and do the neutering at 18 months. Or, if the hernia can wait, I would do both at 18 months. 12 months is too young, the dog is still growing and male hormones are needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think only a vet can tell you if it’s okay to wait to have the hernia fixed.

No matter what the answer to this question is, my position on neutering is to wait until the male dog is fully grown, around 18 months. There are a lot of pros and cons, and it’s really a matter of personal preference. But after a whole lot of research, I chose the late neutering for my own dog. And this is what I will do for future ones as well.

If I were you, I would repair the hernia now if that’s what is needed, and do the neutering at 18 months. Or, if the hernia can wait, I would do both at 18 months. 12 months is too young, the dog is still growing and male hormones are needed.
Thank you for your input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,151 Posts
I think only a vet can tell you if it’s okay to wait to have the hernia fixed.

No matter what the answer to this question is, my position on neutering is to wait until the male dog is fully grown, around 18 months. There are a lot of pros and cons, and it’s really a matter of personal preference. But after a whole lot of research, I chose the late neutering for my own dog. And this is what I will do for future ones as well.

If I were you, I would repair the hernia now if that’s what is needed, and do the neutering at 18 months. Or, if the hernia can wait, I would do both at 18 months. 12 months is too young, the dog is still growing and male hormones are needed.
Dechi expressed my opinion well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,202 Posts
I see your dilemma! I would definitely find out how severe the hernia is. When I adopted my Maltese Zooey from the shelter, it was discovered during her spay that she had a minor hernia and it was repaired (she was 3 years old). On the other hand, we had a rescued Old English Sheepdog puppy who had severe double hernias that were strangulating her bowel and she had to have emergency surgery to save her life and was spayed at the same time, when she was around 6 mos. old. If you can wait, I'd do it all when he's 12-18 mos.+. But if they're any risk to waiting, I would probably have it all taken care of now at 7 mos. UNLESS you're planning on a pexy as well, in which case I would do the hernia surgery now and neuter/pexy at 12-18 mos.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top