Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lovely ladies and gents!

So my 4 1/2 month old puppy LOVES people and he gets so excited when people come over that he pees at the front door. Thankfully...he has the decency(poodle thing?) not to pee on the guest..but still pees on the floor. It's quite embarrassing but everyone is forgiving of him since he's a puppy and he's charming(like a poodles).

Has anyone dealt with this? Do they grow out of it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Try to limit his excitement by either crating him or putting him on a leash and keeping him at a distance from the newcomers until he can calm down and greet them a bit more calmly. It may take some time for him to settle, especially at first, but try to keep everything low key and ignore puppy until he is calm. If he gets revved up again as soon as you move toward him or bend down to release him, back off again and wait. Do this multiple times until he can stay (sort of) calm. Try to keep all of your own departures and returns very low key, and try to keep visitors low key as well.

I know it's great to have an enthusiastic puppy greet you at the door when you come home and tell you how much they missed you, but really it is a lot better for puppy if you teach them to greet you calmly. If puppy is crated when you are gone, ignore him when you get home and leave him in the crate until he settles and is quiet.

He should grow out of it, but trying to limit the excitement as much as possible is a big help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try to limit his excitement by either crating him or putting him on a leash and keeping him at a distance from the newcomers until he can calm down and greet them a bit more calmly. It may take some time for him to settle, especially at first, but try to keep everything low key and ignore puppy until he is calm. If he gets revved up again as soon as you move toward him or bend down to release him, back off again and wait. Do this multiple times until he can stay (sort of) calm. Try to keep all of your own departures and returns very low key, and try to keep visitors low key as well.

I know it's great to have an enthusiastic puppy greet you at the door when you come home and tell you how much they missed you, but really it is a lot better for puppy if you teach them to greet you calmly. If puppy is crated when you are gone, ignore him when you get home and leave him in the crate until he settles and is quiet.

He should grow out of it, but trying to limit the excitement as much as possible is a big help.

Thank you! He doesn't do it with me as I work from home but he does it when anyone else comes to visit. It doesn't help that family members love seeing him and come through the door all excitingly which amps him up lol

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Yes, my late and much loved dog Pogo was prone to submissive and excitement peeing when he was a puppy. He was otherwise housebroken by about 4 months; he was a puppy prodigy. However, the submissive peeing continued until he was almost a year old. We simply learned to introduce him to new people outside. We would take him out on a leash, make the introduction, wait for him to calm down (and pee if he was so inclined,) and then go back inside when he had settled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, my late and much loved dog Pogo was prone to submissive and excitement peeing when he was a puppy. He was otherwise housebroken by about 4 months; he was a puppy prodigy. However, the submissive peeing continued until he was almost a year old. We simply learned to introduce him to new people outside. We would take him out on a leash, make the introduction, wait for him to calm down (and pee if he was so inclined,) and then go back inside when he had settled.
Thank you! Yes...mine know he has to pee outside in the potty area we have built him but when guests come over..he forgets himself. It's usually the same people coming through and he's just so beside himself to see them. But that's a great idea..I'll take him outside when they come over! I'm glad they grow out of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My mini, Benni, whose turning one this week, only pees inside the vets office and at the groomers. I take him out before entering both places....yet he still has pee left to leave his mark. I know it must be from stress since both places are
never fun for him. I try to enter each place with a calm and cool attitude....yet he still excitingly pees every time. He does not pee when he greets a visitor to our home since I introduce them to him slowly and as mentioned, I tell the quests to greet him with without getting him too excited for play.

·
Registered
Duke
12 Posts
Yes, they do grow out of it. Duke was in love with our beautiful teen age neighbor and ever time he would see her he would get so excited he would pee on her feet😬 Fortunately, she was very good natured about it. I enlisted her help and I would give her treats and have her approach Duke calmly and wait until he settled and told him to sit. Then, and only then could she give him a treat and say hello to him. He eventually matured enough that his piddling is no longer an issue. He also piddled in unfamiliar places where he was nervous or excited, but by about 8 months, it was no longer an issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Koko girl and the Poodle Puppy still do it d we hen I come home after having been away. It is occasional, not every time. But the more m out for extended periods the more they get super excited about the return of one of the pack.

otherwise, for everyone else, it seems to end at s as bout 10-16 months of age.
I’m just the fifth member of the pack I guess.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
A caution. If this persists beyond careful management, have your puppy evaluated for a urinary tract infection (UTI).

Years ago a wonderful person I knew who was in in Vizslak had an excitable male pup who persisted in this issue. Turned out he had a UTI. Once he was successfully treated, she saw rapid improvement. Eventual GCh etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello lovely ladies and gents!

So my 4 1/2 month old puppy LOVES people and he gets so excited when people come over that he pees at the front door. Thankfully...he has the decency(poodle thing?) not to pee on the guest..but still pees on the floor. It's quite embarrassing but everyone is forgiving of him since he's a puppy and he's charming(like a poodles).

Has anyone dealt with this? Do they grow out of it?
Puppy bladder muscles take a little longer to get stronger "hold it" control. He should out grow it. My Golden male pup had trouble holding urine til he was a little older. It's muscle development.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts