Poodle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our standard poodle eats under the recommended amount for her weight on the food bag. She is 4 1/2 months old, 26 pounds. For her size and age she is recommended 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups of food a day but she only eats 2 cups and usually leaves a little left in her bowl at night so I know she’s getting full. I haven’t been able to find much about how hard and fast these serving sizes are or if it’s just up to the dog. Is every dog kinda different? She’s still growing and gaining weight.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes, every dog is different, and dogfood bag recommendations are usually too high (they are trying to sell more food!). Go by your dogs condition. If she is at a good weight and has lots of energy she is eating enough. If she gains/loses weight then adjust. Poodles tend to be thin, so don't worry if she feels bony as long as she is active/energetic.

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
401 Posts
My vet always told me that the chart on the bag is a guide and is usually on the high side. As long as the dog is active and bright eyed they are probably fine. Thomas is 14 and eats maybe a cup a day. Ethel is 15 months and eats probably 3 cups a day. Jeffrey, on the other hand, is 9 months and easily devours about 9 cups a day. He is lean, muscular, and still very much growing into his poodle body.

·
Super Moderator
5,070 Posts
It really varies. The recommendations on the bag tend to run high, but puppies can have erratic eating habits. Galen usually wanted a full cup more than his recommended amount. Pogo and Snarky tended to run a bit under. Usually the appetite would pick up right before a growth spurt and then level off again. For some reason both Galen and Ritter also started preferring adult food at about 5 months. The adult food I use is an all stages food, so I didn't get too concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,915 Posts
Does she get treats for training too? It all about getting enough calories and proper nutrition. Treats should be around 10% of calories max, and quality treats are preferred. If she gets a lot of treats, she'll probably eat less kibble. You can use kibble as treats too. I would let her eat until she stops. If she runs out, give her some more until she's done. She sounds like a good weight so I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The package guidelines are naturally based on that specific formulation, but it also is the suggestion for total daily caloric intake.
Have you accounted for treats and snacks too?

As noted above, some dogs need more, some less, and it can vary due to growth and physical changes.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
984 Posts
The suggested amounts are just that, suggested. I always tell people to start with them, and adjust up or down based on their individual dog. For example, my then puppy GSD was eating nearly twice the suggested amount when she was going through a growth spurt. Now as a senior, she eats considerably less than the recommended amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts