Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I just got a male Standard Poodle Puppy from a reputable breeder. He is 11 weeks old and according to our vet very healthy. My concern is that he only weighs 8.5 pounds. I've been seeing a lot of other Poodle puppies and he is by far the smallest.
If you see him in person he appears to be more around 7-8 weeks old. Despite our vet giving him a clean bill of health I'm still slightly worried.

I'm just wondering if this size is normal and I should just let it go? Both of his parents are larger than normal (each over 25 inches). Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. His name is Shadow (he is solid black and always right on my heels so it was very fitting).

I did ask her. She said that some Standards will grow at different rates, and that he could catch up later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a photo with a tape measure to give the best idea of his exact size

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Suzy, forgot your other question. Yes he is growing steadily.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
As long as he is eating well and growing well I would not freak out. They go through growth spurts at different times and there will be moments where you may think you can see him growing and other times where he seems stuck. As long as the vet thinks he is healthy and you are enjoying him just enjoy him. Puppy days fly by and before you know it you will miss the little man. Personally I prefer my spoos not being giants. My girl is 22 3/4"and 37 pounds and my boy is 24" and just about 50 pounds. Her I can easily pick up, he is at my upper limits for wanting to scoop up and heave onto the grooming table.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lily. We definitely are enjoying him, it's just been on my mind the last week. The reason we chose this litter is because the puppies were expected to all be on the larger size and that's what we were looking for.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
He’s going to grow into those big paws and is going to be a perfect size. My Spoo puppy was almost too excited and busy to eat during the early weeks at home. Shadow will catch up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He’s going to grow into those big paws and is going to be a perfect size. My Spoo puppy was almost too excited and busy to eat during the early weeks at home. Shadow will catch up.

Thank you. It seems he had a growth spurt overnight and really got a good bit taller! He sounds the opposite of yours...he is excited about nothing except maybe food!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts