Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in quite a long time, but my ~7.5 yo male silver spoo was just diagnosed with atypical Addison's disease. He seemed off and in pain, and our vet thought he had arthritis...then he vomited 10 times one evening, and the ER vet tested him for Addison's on a hunch. So here we are. Anyone have experience with this?

He's recovering well, but seems a little slower than usual, and is drinking and peeing a LOT. His prednisone dose is still pretty high (we're supposed to ween him off slowly), so I'm hoping things get better as we lower it. He's always been amped up by other dogs we see on walks so I'm not sure how to handle that long term...we've been trying to avoid other dogs as much as possible for the time being, but will we likely end up having to dose him every time we go on a walk? That seems excessive :/ There is also a (small) possibility we could move overseas in a couple years for work...is that even possible for an Addison's dog? I suspect we will be getting to know our vet very well.

Anyway, no real question here, just looking for general thoughts from anyone with an Addison's dog.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don't have any experience with Addison's but I think the disease is pretty manageable, especially the atypical variety. Congratulations to your vet for making a quick diagnosis.

There is an Addison's Disease in Dogs Facebook page that would probably be worth joining. You could also do a search here for old threads on the topic.

Best wishes to you and your spoo.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
We had an Addison's dog, our weimaraner, April. April was diagnosed at 3 and lived to be a very old 12 year old. April never had another Addisonian Crisis. She got her shot of Percortin once a month and took a prednisone pill every other day, I think. It's been a few years, but I remember being super stressed out in the beginning. Then, it just got to be routine and not as scary. Ask other vets in your area because they might have more experience with Addisons and it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion on your management plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts