Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was a very special day for us and our pack and for the residents of the nursing home that our mother was in. First we made a stop at Petco so that the poodles could pick out their outfits and some treats for their Christmas portrait that we are doing this weekend.

We went off to bring some Christmas cheer to the residents. Billy was Father Christmas, Taffy, Santa's elf, Ivy, Mrs. Clause, Chantel, Santa's reindeer of course, and Grace was the Spirit of Christmas carrying her big paw stocking full of yummy candy canes to give out to all the sweet people she met!

The dogs jingled and we sang Christmas hymns. It was an amazing experience for all of us. We plan to do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're having fun! And, so are they! Oh! Forgot to mention that there was a wonderful blind man who played his little electric organ for us while we sang!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
La, la, la, la.....jingle, jingle, jingle bells! After three hours, everyone was pooped but quite content. They all crashed on the floor of the last room we visited! LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't tell you how moved I am by your pictures... my dad fell a couple of weeks ago and fractured his hip - he's been in a lot of pain and taking a lot of medicine. When I told him we would bring Smurfy & L.E. Belle to see him through the window (they're not therapy dogs, yet:)) he teared up. It meant so much to him... What a wonderful thing you are doing! I loved picture number 5... the hand petting your puppy. It's true - worth a thousand words...the heart is never too old to love a dog...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't tell you how moved I am by your pictures... my dad fell a couple of weeks ago and fractured his hip - he's been in a lot of pain and taking a lot of medicine. When I told him we would bring Smurfy & L.E. Belle to see him through the window (they're not therapy dogs, yet:)) he teared up. It meant so much to him... What a wonderful thing you are doing! I loved picture number 5... the hand petting your puppy. It's true - worth a thousand words...the heart is never too old to love a dog...
Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Our mother was a resident there for over a year with Alzheimer's and she passed a few weeks ago. It was a peaceful, blessed passing and we are very happy for her. We brought our spoos nearly every week to visit since they were puppies and we will continue to do this. They are not officially therapy dogs yet but we will be going for the CGC's as soon as we can do it. We want to be able to bring them to other facilities as well.

So sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers completely and soon!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, now for me to add the pics that were of my guys interacting. Ok, I have to say, I couldn't get the pics black color to come out right... Grace IS gray... the first pic I am putting on shows her real color (obviously not a pic from this visit) but for some reason Deb's camera had her come out a kinda purple color...LOL... did the best I could. Need to get Deb's photo program...lol.

Anyway, we had the most moving and enjoyable time. We know our Mom was with us and she was enjoying what we were doing too! It was a complete joy for Deb, myself AND the dogs to go back to the nursing home and do this!!!

All the dogs behaved superbly and enjoyed kissing the people and being pet! True ambassadors of the breed! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is an absolutely heartwarming thing to see...ahh, I'm tearing up a bit!

It's just so wonderful to see these things. The residents must have been very happy to have your beautiful packs visiting them all dolled up in their Christmas outfits.

Last month my great grandmother passed away at the hospital, and my grandfather is currently residing in a nursing home and is not doing to well. His kidneys have failed and he is diabetic. He can longer walk or move his arm too much. It's heartbreaking to see his condition deteriorate, I would be moved to tears if somebody took time to let their pack visit and bring a little joy into their lives.

I am sure everyone appreciated your kindness and Christmas spirit! Thank you for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok, if you twist my arm, I'll add some more. LOL

In these pics, Chantel was soooo great! She was very gentle and got into the beds (only with those that wanted it and would not get hurt by her being against them) and she just so enjoyed it and hugged right up to them!

Grace visited this gentleman that was paralyzed, she "gave" him a candy cane (his wife actually took it out for him) and them gave him a kiss... Deb missed that shot...lol. Deb did a fantastic job of catching many great shots but you can't get them all...lol. THEN, Chantel went up to see him and climbed in and kissed and snuggled him.. this man enjoyed it immensely and WHAT A SENSE OF HUMOR he has!!! He made us laugh a lot!!!

Deb and I could not have been more proud of our pack nor more happy with our visit there!!! :)

Oppps... forgot to put the pic I said I was of Grace showing her color...lol... Me Bad.. I put it on last here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oh, more, more, more...Those photos were so wonderful. Showed love and caring and how much the residents appreciated this Christmas cheer. Thank you so much for sharing these photos with us. Will never tire of seeing them.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahhhhh....you will have to wait until later today! It is 4:23 a.m. and I think I am waaaaayyyyyyy past my bedtime....LOL! Goodnight!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok...MORE....LOL.

These dogs wore their "costumes" like troopers for 3 hours of visiting and were willing to give kisses and allow petting like troopers! Grace carried the dog paw stocking around her neck and had to walk with it dangling in front of her legs and never once made a fuss about it. The residents, of course, lit up and waited with hands stretched out for their turn to pet and hug the dogs. Of course, there were a few residents that were afraid of dogs/or just didn't want to have them near them and we respected their wishes and kept the dogs away from them.

You will see the "dog paw stocking" very well in one of these pics as a resident reaches in for her candy cane. :) Oh... we did have some "technical difficulties" occasionally with the head attire...lol...Ivy especially... her hat would fall forward sometimes and she would be blinded. One time, as we were leaving a room, we didn't realized her hat had slipped forward again and she walked into the door (opened) and stopped dead and stood there not knowing what to do.... she never fussed or complained, just stood there and tried to move forward but couldn't... everyone in the room was laughing so hard at her. Of course, I did fix her hat. But Deb did take a pic at one of the occasions which I put on here. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You two ladies and your gorgeous pack need to be commended for sure. What a beautiful, kind, generous thing it was for you to do this. I will bet in doing this, you walked out of that nursing home with the best gift either of you will receive all season. Thanks for having hearts this big and this caring!!
Hugs to all of your sweet Santa's helpers!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
OMG you two !
These are wonderful ! This is the true meaning of Christmas. I have tears in my eyes as I look at these Thank you for making such a happy day for these precious people ! Post as many of these as you can I will never tire of seeing them! Thank you !
And Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Beautiful pictures, so caring,warm and very heartfelt. Bless you and the gang for lifting the spirits of all the people who my need a big furry hug.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words, but I have to say, Deb and I walked out with the most precious gift we could get.... the absolute joy of making these people smile, laugh and some cry. Some joined us in the songs when we sang to them in their rooms (yes, Deb and I both are members of our Church Choir..have been since children... so we both can sing.. we didn't twinge anyone's ears....LOL) and it just makes our hearts swell to give them that few moments of happiness. When we got done and were tired and knew the dogs had given all they could for the night, we were so on cloud nine that we actually trotted down all the hallways on the way out, letting the dog's bells jingle, singing Jingle Bells. It is in giving that you receive the BEST GIFT!!! It is not material but sure makes you feel like nothing in the world can.

And, as I say 'thank you' for your kind words, I do so in politeness as Deb and I don't feel special for doing this, we feel blessed that we are able to do this.

We wish everyone on here a VERY MERRY and Heartfelt CHRISTMAS! :) :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
These pictures are absolutely adorable, I am so in love with them! It's so sweet to see the residents enjoying the company of their furry visitors, you two do such a great thing taking the pups there!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts