Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whiskey has been home for 5 weeks.. We got him when he turned 17 weeks from a pet shop (socialization period was over unfortunately).
The point is, he's been terrorizing my Bailey (Shih Tzu, 4 kg) when he is out of his pen. They were separated by the ex pen for his first 2 weeks at home while he was getting potty trained. But now that he is quite reliable in pottying where he should be, we have been letting him out most (ok all) of the time and keeping Bailey in the bed rooms (baby gate). Just FYI, they are never together unsupervised.
But when they are in the same area, there are times when Whiskey goes after Bailey, chewing on her scruff. I have seen this when Bailey was younger and she did that to my other Tzu, BUT they were the same size. Whiskey is ~13kg to Bailey's 4.

The "play" goes a little like this:
Bailey does her own stuff, Whiskey goes right after her. Bailey ducks under the tables and chairs. Whiskey barks (thank god he hasn't gotten the big boy bark yet) and nips (like a puppy) at Bailey. Bailey nips back and makes tiny little yips(like a warning thing, she doesn't growl or bark, she was too well trained by my mum..). They then get so excited exchanging yips and barks, Bailey leaves the safety of the chairs and tables. Then Whiskey comes in and paws at her, and bites the scruff of her neck. Tails wagging furiously the whole time.
This is where we usually step in and remove Bailey to the bedrooms. Yesterday, I decided to let the play go on for a while longer to see what happens, Bailey laid on her back, tail wagging and whiskey did the same.

My question is, is this normal puppy play? We are going to go for puppy class soon, but because its the holidays here, classes won't start til next weekend. Should I be concerned with his behaviour? There was one incident where they got too carried away and when we separated them, Whiskey growled and snapped at us..

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think when he growled and snapped he was testing the waters. Speak firmly and put him in a time out.

Whiskey is treating Bailey like another puppy. I would teach them a game that involves a toy and not tumbling or nipping. Maybe seeking hidden toys. You can also use two balls, throw both at the same time in different directions.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
socialization period was over unfortunately
It's still possible, as far as pandemic procedures will allow. It would likely just take longer. I think the idea of the window "closing" at 16 weeks is more related to the age when they start to learn to fear things unknown. It's easier to offer exposure to many different and potentially "scary" things before fear is a part of their world.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am beginning to think my dad is their trigger. I have left them together for the past 5 hours and not a sound or squabble. Not even their "playing".. We have been doing training separately, me with Whiskey and my sister with Bailey to distract them when they are excited (eg when Dad comes home).

I think when he growled and snapped he was testing the waters. Speak firmly and put him in a time out.

Whiskey is treating Bailey like another puppy. I would teach them a game that involves a toy and not tumbling or nipping. Maybe seeking hidden toys. You can also use two balls, throw both at the same time in different directions.
We did give him a firm no. Then left him to be alone for a while. And it has not happened since.
I think of Bailey as a puppy too as she is quite playful and is used to rough housing, but the size difference scares me..
I did try playing tug with both of them using 2 different toys, but I kept messing up which hand had to have more strength than the other..HAHA! Accidentally made my Tzu fly. We switched to the nose work mats which they are able to share. But I will try the balls in different directions..hopefully my brain can handle the left right thing properly this time.

It's still possible, as far as pandemic procedures will allow. It would likely just take longer. I think the idea of the window "closing" at 16 weeks is more related to the age when they start to learn to fear things unknown. It's easier to offer exposure to many different and potentially "scary" things before fear is a part of their world.
Oh that is good to know! We brought him out for quite a few walks, and each time I tried to show him something new. Covid is really making it hard to raise a puppy well..but we are lucky in that things here are mostly going back to normal (new normal).

I’m interested in why Bailey is the one being confined and not Whiskey. Whiskey is still just a baby and should be given limited freedom while he learns the rules (including how to be polite with other dogs and to respect social cues).
Sorry, I was probably not too clear about this. Bailey has full access to the house, the gate is only there to keep Whiskey out. Our living area is much smaller compared to the bedrooms (don't ask me why but the house was just made that way), so that is where Whiskey gets to be until he learns manners. He goes into his ex pen for naps and bed time, pottying is done at our balcony (no yard...).
Plus we are in our bedrooms most of the time due to work/school from home and computers being in the rooms, we sometimes use laptops out in the living area just to supervise Whiskey but our desktops are more suited for working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts