Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me about split heats? I have heard of them but not sure what it really is.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've never really heard much about split heats. I have had girls come into heat a sooner than expected after whelping puppies but they very short compaired to their normal heat cycle so I guess maybe that was a split heat.
We've also had dogs go through silent heats, where they didn't look like they were in heat, no blood or swelling. Another tibbie breeder had a litter of puppies result from one of these. She kept waiting and waiting for her girl to come in so she could breed her. Little did she know she had already been bred. Thankfuly she figured out she was in whelp a few weeks prior to the birth so was prepared and she was planning on using her own dog at stud and only had one intact male so it was obvious who the father was.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I ask this because my sis in law has a female pug who is not fixed, & still has not made up her mind about breeding. The dog is nearly 3 1/2 now so I don't thnk she will ever breed her, but still doesn't want to take that option away. Anyway, the pug got tied with her male pug about 6 moths ago so she thought she will be haing pups but Aggie never dropped & only had her teats {mature} I guess you can call it. Anyway, Cupid (male) still tries to get her & she still looks a little big one her back side, but not big enough to say she is in heat. This has been going on for a few months now? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
As to why she didn't have pups after the tie six months ago I would guess that the timming wasn't right. She either wasn't quite ready or was already close to the end of her heat cycle. Either way if pregnacy occured, which I doubt, puppies were resorbed for whatever reason.

I have seen males around females who had vaginal infections react as if they were in heat. Though I have NEVER seen one tie a bitch that wasn't indeed in heat. I have a friend who has standard longhair daschunds, or however you spell it - to laxy to look it up just now, who had a male tie a female who had been spayed?? No explination for that either.

I'd make two suggestions here 1) have your friend get her pug checked out to make sure there is no medical reason for this, like an infection
2) be very careful and do tons of homework on breeding pugs specificly. It isn't the same as breeding say poodles. Pugs can experience issues same as bulldogs with delievery due head size and shape of the puppies and c-sections are common. She definitly needs to be prepared for that should she breed her two dogs. Whelping pugs isn't easy like it is with most other breeds.

There is also the possibilty that Cupid is just a frisky little guy. Some dogs are more easily stimulated than others and sometimes their man-mones as I call them go haywire and they seem to think of onlly one thing :p Kinda like teenage boys, no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts