Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a queer thing over the last few years... two, actually.

One: Tonka is epileptic on an occasional basis.

Two: Tonka will NEVER look at a TV. Will go out of his way to avoid looking at a TV.

Knowing that Epilepsy may be part of a brain's reaction to stimuli, I wonder about a connection. Are there epileptic dog owners here who's dogs will comfortably watch TV? Maybe my two 'facts' have nothing to do with each other. Maybe they do...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmmm that is an interesting question....
I can tell you that I have a friend with epilepsy, she gets triggered by strobe lights. She says that similar flashing lights make her feel sick even if she doesn't actually have a seizure. So, maybe your dog experiences something similar?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only grand mal seizure was the result of my first and only migraine. More pain than I've ever been in in my life. I remember my vision closing in to gray as I passed out. Apparently, I went into rictus then.

To this day I avoid strobes. 'Flickering' lights are too similar to the precursors to a migraine to be comfortable. One of these precursors are lights that the docs call 'scintillating'... multi-coloured, oddly shaped 'rainbows' that flash and drift thru our vision. Expanding, and expanding, 'til eventually they expand out of sight.

NOTHING scares me more than the appearance of one of these. I immediately retreat from the world into 'relax' mode.

But they too could maybe be duplicated in a dogs eye view of a monitor. A similar strobe effect???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts