Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Toy poodles Zara(2015) and Reyna(2020). Maltese Ema(2011/2019) and Roxy(2011)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friendly poodle people,
This is my first time to have a pappy as my baby, my two other dogs are adopted when there where seniors and Zara came to me as adult dog.
Every doggo of mine is spayed and now Reyna turned 6 months and need to be spayed to but I have worries because of her active and crazy personality. I am 100 % sure that she can not wear any type of plastic collar after surgery and I am 100 % sure that she will lick and maybe even touch her stiches and do something that I don't want to experience because I dont want her to be in any type of pain.
Me and poodle dad where thinking... Maybe if we stay awake for 2,3 days and monitor her constantly is the solution?
Any throughts? Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
🐩❤

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Firstly, 6 months is now considered rather young for spaying - you may want to research your options. When Poppy was spayed I put her into a baby onesie vest, with holes cut for her tail and to allow her to pee etc. It worked very well, and she did not attempt to chew the stitches - she was not a bouncy puppy, though, which does make a difference! At night I put a leash and harness on her and took her to bed with me, wrapping the leash around my wrist so that I would wake if she started licking or tried to jump down - it worked very well for us. There are also comfier alternatives to the old fashioned plastic collar - donut type ones are well tolerated by most dogs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thank you for the answer 🙏
I did read online but I saw sooo many different oppinions and I can't figure what is the best choice. My vet told me that we can do it when she is 7 mo old before first heath (i think that is the word when they first become interested in males).
I wanna be very well prepared so I will take my time to figure all out and do what is right.
She sleeps in bed at night and she will sleep in my arms, night time is her peacefull time but in a day she gets very active and she is trying to do impossibe things, do you think 3 days are enough for us to moniture her? I saw with my bigger dogs and with my bunnies that wound gets pretty strong after 3 days, I am hoping that poodle puppy stomach is the same 🤞🏼

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
The pros and cons of early versus late spaying are discussed in detail this post, with links to recent research: Recent study provides guidelines to help people decide... For a toy dog it very much comes down to whether you are comfortable dealing with a heat, and can make sure there is no chance of an accidental mating. There may be advantages to waiting until she is fully mature, but you need to weigh up the risks and benefits in your own specific situation and discuss them with your vet.

When you do have her spayed I think you need to plan on keeping her on a lead or crated for at least a week and probably longer, or as advised by your vet. The wound does begin to heal quickly, but running and jumping and rough play with the other dogs would risk it stretching and possibly even opening. If she is not yet crate trained it may be wise to start getting her comfortable and relaxed in one now so that she accepts it as a happy place post op!

Reactions: Ava. and Zara&Reyna

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ditto everything FJM said.

Have you looked into alternatives to a plastic collar? They make all sorts now, and many people have good luck with clothing, like FJM. Mia ignored her incision for the first few days, but it began to bother her later in the process, perhaps around day 5 or 7. There's a stage when a healing wound feels itchy, and I'm guessing that's what bothered her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will read the artikle, thank you so much. I am not willing to left her unspayed but I will choose the best age I hope 🤞🏼
I think that clothes will iritate her the less.. But I am waiting for more colder months to try clothes on her - she was born in april and never experienced clothes 😁 I am waiting 7C and I will teach her to wear something that I can use after surgery, I like that metode, seems totaly ok for me and I hope she will thinks that too.
I have crate but we don't use it unless is some serious health situation - (we used it when Ema had brain tumor and could not walk normaly), but I like on leash while sleeping idea more than a crate.
I will do my best to keep her safe and I hope she will always have this crazy persona in her, I would not like if spaying changes her in any way 😯

·
Registered
485 Posts
Firstly, 6 months is now considered rather young for spaying - you may want to research your options. When Poppy was spayed I put her into a baby onesie vest, with holes cut for her tail and to allow her to pee etc. It worked very well, and she did not attempt to chew the stitches - she was not a bouncy puppy, though, which does make a difference! At night I put a leash and harness on her and took her to bed with me, wrapping the leash around my wrist so that I would wake if she started licking or tried to jump down - it worked very well for us. There are also comfier alternatives to the old fashioned plastic collar - donut type ones are well tolerated by most dogs.
What great ideas as an alternative to the big cone collars! Charlie's cone was so huge he got caught on all of the furniture and thrashed around in a panic. Had to empty my parent's garage and lock him up there for several days. He was relentless in his efforts to reach his stitches. Very traumatic.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts