Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten some mixed opinion on when to spay Mochi. She's almost 7 months old now. Her first vet recommended doing it at 6-8 months...I've also read this on various sites online, however, her breeder and 2nd vet recommend to not spay her until after her first heat. Just curious as to what the pros and cons are to both timings?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm of the opinion to wait, as I am dealing with the fall-out of a early in life spay now at the age of seven. Our first dog together was a humane society rescue puppy, spayed at 8 weeks. She now is having bladder retention issues, lots of UTIs from not being able to hold her bladder, and is all-out miserable. Knowing now what I didn't know then, any female we get from here on out will be spayed after her first heat.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm of the opinion to wait, as I am dealing with the fall-out of a early in life spay now at the age of seven. Our first dog together was a humane society rescue puppy, spayed at 8 weeks. She now is having bladder retention issues, lots of UTIs from not being able to hold her bladder, and is all-out miserable. Knowing now what I didn't know then, any female we get from here on out will be spayed after her first heat.
8 weeks!? The poor pup! How do you know if her bladder issues are related to the spaying?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The vet has ruled out everything else. It's from a lack of hormones that is the underlying issue from an early spay.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup IMO they should be fully mature, and I think that DOES mean after their first heat (they are NOT fully mature before then, or they'd already be sexually mature too... I take 'fully' to mean FULLY, in all ways possible! Except perhaps mentally... spoos can take a few years on that aspect! haha!)

This is a very good link to read through and make your own opinion through:
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Good luck with whatever you choose though!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup IMO they should be fully mature, and I think that DOES mean after their first heat (they are NOT fully mature before then, or they'd already be sexually mature too... I take 'fully' to mean FULLY, in all ways possible! Except perhaps mentally... spoos can take a few years on that aspect! haha!)

This is a very good link to read through and make your own opinion through:
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Good luck with whatever you choose though!
That is some pretty heavy reading, but very informational! Thanks:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know there are some breeders that do early spay/neuter before the age of 8 weeks. I wonder what their long-term statistics are on health problems or growth problems?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts