Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My mini has just recently turned 5 months and her vet says it’s time for her to be spayed between now and the next two months.
Could anyone with minis share what age their baby got spayed?
For those with and without minis, how was the recuperation process?

I’ve read that they should be relatively inactive for 2 weeks post surgery. I’m a bit worried in that aspect because my baby is very high energy, it takes very long walks and lots of playing fetch and tug of war to tire her out.

In case size matters in regards to spaying she is now 12 inches tall and 7.1 lbs as of yesterday.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMO you should wait until she has finished growing. This will ensure that she attains her build. I think the vet probably wants your girl spayed before she goes into heat, to ensure no puppies. If you can make sure she doesn't get out during her first spay, I would wait.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Based on current studies re health benefits vs risks, I would agree with Michigan Gal. There's nothing to be lost by waiting a bit longer, til she's reached physical maturity. Mini's mature between 6-7 months and one year.

When she's stopped growing in height for one to two months, she's probably reached full size. She may still put on a few pounds as she finishes her growth.

My last girls were about 2 years old when we got them spayed. That was in 2003 though, so I just don't remember how long it took them to recover but I also don't remember them having any problems during recovery. You are going to need to keep her activity level low so she doesn't injure herself but it's not easy. You'll be doing good to keep her inactive for a week :).

Before you schedule any surgery, be sure they're going to do pre op labs, be sure the vet will have an assistant to monitor your girl while they're operating and after while she's in recovery and be sure that they'll use a fast reversing anesthetic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We got Jessie spayed at 20 months. It was a little more expensive- the vet charged a "mature fee" of $50, but the surgery went fine. We had the spay done just before a vacation where Jessie couldn't come with us, so we boarded her at the vet for a week immediately after. That way we were guaranteed she'd get the best of care if any complications arose, and was also kept way more inactive than we'd be able to manage at home. Her surgery was about 2 months ago and you can barely even see her scar now.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mature fee? First I heard of that!

I agree with waiting a bit till growing is done. She is still really young. Milo finished growing around 6-7 months in height. I waited a few more months for him to fill in properly in weight, then he was neutered at 10 months. He has an undescended testicles so his neuter was more like a spay. But yes try to keep her quiet. Milo felt sorry for himself a few days post neuter then he was fine. I also planned the neuter date in winter since it’s super cold and even he didn’t want to go outside as much, so it worked for keeping him quiet post surgery.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
After weighing the pros and the cons, I decided to wait after my dog’s first heat, so she was spayed at 14 months. For both males and females, I don’t believe in doing it at 6-7 months. For males I wait around 16-18 months.

A lot of vets want to do it at 6-7 months. They’re a business, so to me it’s not advice I go with unless I see scientific evidence that it’s the best choice. Not saying they’re incompetent, but spaying later means they risk not doing it at all, since you might have taken your business somewhere else by then.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think everyone is correct that waiting is best! There is plenty of research out there on why to wait to spay/neuter your pups.

Here is one of many insightful articles on the subject.

https://veterinarytechnicianguide.com/spaying-and-neutering-a-dog/

All in all, it is up to you! Many people think spaying before the first heat is best, but many believe afterwards is best. I think if you have a feeling its too early, I would stick to that gut feeling to wait!
I am waiting to neuter Norman once he is a year old after doing too much research and asking questions on this forum too. He's 8 months old now and I still feel hes too young and needs those hormones longer.

I agree with Dechi too that vets are a business. There are few excellent vets that will agree to wait. But most vets highly recommend earlier the better while you're in business with them! My vet understands why I want to wait to neuter Norman, but his staff still calls me once a month to schedule the appointment!! Its a business!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your responses. I finally retrieved Bella’s contract from her breeder and after reading the terms I see there’s no rush to have her spayed before she’s fully grown.
The only downside is she did have her blood drawn this week for the preops to the spay.

However, based on the articles shared, opinions expressed and the research I’ve done it does seem that waiting is the best option for her.

The last thing I’d want is for her to get sick or be at a disadvantage health wise due to our negligence.
So wait we shall until she’s at least 1 year old.
Thank you ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts