Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My miniature poodle puppy has just turned 6 months old. We are getting her spayed soon. Do you think it is a good idea to let her have one litter before spaying. What are the pros and cons of spaying. What age did you spay your poodle.
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
NO one litter for the heck of it is no reason to breed your girl. There are though many people who believe one (unmated) heat cycle does have health benefits. My bitch was spayed at about 6-7 months because we also had an intact male dog in the house and we did not want to make oops GSD/poodle cross pups.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Mating and giving birth have some pretty serious risks for the bitch: diseases transmitted by the stud, puppies laid wrong in the womb, etc. From a health risk management perspective it's a bad idea to breed a bitch simply to reduce chances of some theoretical health problem down the line.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm in the camp of spay after 1-2 UNMATED heat cycles depending on age of first cycle. Unless the living situation makes this very difficult, in which case spaying before heat is best. There are many risks associated with a pregnancy, not to mention the various other reasons it's not responsible to breed dogs that aren't proven to represent the best of their breed.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
No dog ever needs to get pregnant and give birth for any individual health or behavior reasons.
I'm sure you don't want to risk her health and life by doing something completely unnecessary to either?

·
Registered
446 Posts
As a vet tech, I see all the potential complications that can happen during pregnancy, birth, and puppy raising. Let me tell you, anyone considering breeding their dog should think long and hard about it.
I only have large breed dogs myself, but if I had a small breed like a mini poodle, I would spay at 9-12 months.
I also see way too many dogs with pyometra (uterine infection) to consider not spaying- in fact two dogs in just the past 3 days. Emergency pyo spay is much rougher on a dog than a planned spay while healthy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As a vet tech, I see all the potential complications that can happen during pregnancy, birth, and puppy raising. Let me tell you, anyone considering breeding their dog should think long and hard about it.
I only have large breed dogs myself, but if I had a small breed like a mini poodle, I would spay at 9-12 months.
I also see way too many dogs with pyometra (uterine infection) to consider not spaying- in fact two dogs in just the past 3 days. Emergency pyo spay is much rougher on a dog than a planned spay while healthy.
Yup. And pyometra isn’t the only thing that can happen. For example, a prolapsed uterus can also occur, although it is supposedly rare. This podcast lists some other things that can happen during and after pregnancy (WARNING: slightly graphic):

Veterinary Voice: Scary weird stuff that happens to girl dogs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.