Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! tomorrow’s Sadie spay
surgery. I am a little bit nervous but I’m sure she will be fine. I have her spay suits ready and I decided I’m going to let her sleep in her cage at night so she’s not jumping on and off my bed which can affect her stitches. any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
I feel your anxiety - I am always on tenterhooks until I know they are safely through the op and anaesthetic - but anaesthetics are so much safer these days and vets better equipped, and I am sure all will be well.

Expect her to be sleepy and even wobbly at first, and she might whimper while she is snoozing. A sore throat from intubation is common, with a bit of coughing and wheezing. It can sometimes take a while for them to pee, and even longer to poo, so don't worry if she does not do so immediately. Your vet may give you a bland food for the first few days - if they don't it might be a good idea to buy some or cook your own - chicken and rice or something similar. The vet should certainly provide you with pain relief for her - make sure you understand the dosage and when to start it - she will be dosed up during and immediately after the op, so more may not be needed for 24 hours or so. Most important of all call your vet if you have any concerns or if things don't seem right to you - mine always emphasise that they would far rather owners called too often than waited until things had got serious, as they very occasionally do.

If she is not happy to sleep in her crate at night lifting her up onto the bed and wrapping her leash around your wrist to make sure she cannot attempt to jump down is an option. In fact keeping her leashed in the house when she is not in a crate or pen is a good way of keeping her from jumping or running up and down the stairs - in a few days she will want to run and play as usual and then life can get complicated!

·
Administrator
14,232 Posts
Good luck tomorrow! Keep us posted. :)

I slept on a cot with Peggy on a camping pad next to me the first night. She vomited a lot, so neither of us got much sleep. But once she was feeling better, we had her sleep in the bed with her leash around my husband’s wrist. That way we could ensure she wasn’t working at the incision.

She never did end up needing a cone or surgical suit, and after a few nights we let her back into her crate to sleep. She was quite relieved!

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
408 Posts
If she has a cone be prepared to get whacked with the cone...a lot. Ethel got spayed a few months ago. Surgery was on a Wednesday so I took off Thursday and Friday to be with her. The first 24 hours were the best because she was still groggy from the drugs. After that each day was more of a struggle to keep her semi-calm. Fortunately our vet does good work and she was fine. It will be ok!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plan to do literally nothing all day tomorrow and for the next few days.

The techs will call you and check in.

Take 1 picture a day on your phone so you can have physical evidence if the healing is getting better or worse, and let the vet see what you see.

It's okay to feel a little nervous.
Thank you !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If she has a cone be prepared to get whacked with the cone...a lot. Ethel got spayed a few months ago. Surgery was on a Wednesday so I took off Thursday and Friday to be with her. The first 24 hours were the best because she was still groggy from the drugs. After that each day was more of a struggle to keep her semi-calm. Fortunately our vet does good work and she was fine. It will be ok!
When you say “semi calm” was she trying to run around ? or was she panicking from pain ?

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
If she needs a cone be aware that depending on the style she may think she can't eat or drink while wearing it. For various cat and dog cone situations I made sure I took the cone off for a little while each day when the subject was ina calm state. The cats really appreciated the chance to groom and Javelin was happy to chow down and get a drink while the cone was off.

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
408 Posts
When you say “semi calm” was she trying to run around ? or was she panicking from pain ?
Oh she wanted to RUN and PLAY and RUN. I had to keep her under control for 7 days and during that whole time she only yelped in pain once and that was when she decided to do her big stretch and her staples pinched.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If she needs a cone be aware that depending on the style she may think she can't eat or drink while wearling it. For various cat and dog cone situations I made sure I took the cone off for a little while each day when the subject was ina calm state. The cats really appreciated the chance to groom and Javelin was happy to chow down and get a drink while the cone was off.

Hello! I decided not to go with the cone, I bought a couple of spay suits to alternate between. Thank you for your
Hello everyone! tomorrow’s Sadie spay
surgery. I am a little bit nervous but I’m sure she will be fine. I have her spay suits ready and I decided I’m going to let her sleep in her cage at night so she’s not jumping on and off my bed which can affect her stitches. any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. thank you
UPDATE: She is home and seems to be
doing well. She is currently resting. Thank you for the advice and well wishes. Will update soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also how do you guys encourage your dogs to drink water. I want her to stay hydrated but shes not interested in food or water. I also tried hand feeding her.

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
Chicken stock often works to encourage drinking - simmer a skinless chicken breast in enough plain, unsalted water to cover, cool and offer her some. Freeze any left in an ice cube tray - dissolve one or two cubes in a little warm water as needed.

Reactions: Jadehunter

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,947 Posts
Elroy didn't drink any water until 26 hrs after his Vasectomy/Gastropexy surgery. The Dr. said this was pretty much normal.
I know it's not a spay, but I think the lack of eating and drinking may be due to surgery in general, so I thought this might be comforting info. BTW, he didn't poop until 2½ days afterwards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts