Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Cleo went in for her spay and stomach tack on Friday. They called me when they'd finished the spay and were moving on to the gastropexy. They felt "an object the size of a ping pong ball" in her stomach! Too big to pass, the vet said, so they wanted to let me know they needed to take it out. Of course, go ahead! So, unfortunately, she had a third procedure, a gastrotomy. But i'm glad they discovered the object, b/c it could have caused serious problems. I'm not sure why it hadn't. I think it must have been in there for at least a month or so.

It was a rock (see pic below which when i posted was for some reason labeled "sensitive content"! It's a rock.).

In related news, they gave her a soft cone to wear, and as soon as she started feeling better, she managed to chew on it. I switched to one that looks like a neck pillow that attaches to her collar and has a velcro strap in back. She managed to turn it so she could chew apart the strap. It won't come off, but i think she might be able to get her mouth around the neck pillow... So it looks like we'll have to switch to the awful hard cone. I'd love some suggestions for alternatives, if anyone has any!

Here she is in the original collar, below.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
1588208213371.png

IMG_0301.JPG

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
OMG. Thank goodness they found that rock. Hope recovery goes well.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
That was a really fortunate catch! Hope her recovery is uneventful :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow! It's very lucky they were able to find that rock. Poor Cleo. Three different surgeries! Hope she recovers quickly and without incident!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all! I am relieved they found the rock, and also can't help thinking what might have happened if they had not. They might not have felt around her stomach at all if they were not doing the gastropexy. I had no idea she had swallowed anything; she wasn't showing any unusual symptoms, everything seemed normal... She's been the kind of puppy who likes to put things in her mouth and carry them around, especially outside. I'm hoping she's growing out of it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd just put her in the hard cone and try not to feel bad. My dog has been in the hard cone for a week now. She was banging into everything the first day, but ever since, it doesn't seem to bother her. I like that it is clear, so she has some peripheral vision. I only take it off when I'm walking her, so I can use a head collar. If she tries to scratch at her neck, I scratch her neck for her, but I don't take the cone off, partly so I don't forget to put it back on, but also so she just accepts it as the new normal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd just put her in the hard cone and try not to feel bad. My dog has been in the hard cone for a week now. She was banging into everything the first day, but ever since, it doesn't seem to bother her. I like that it is clear, so she has some peripheral vision. I only take it off when I'm walking her, so I can use a head collar. If she tries to scratch at her neck, I scratch her neck for her, but I don't take the cone off, partly so I don't forget to put it back on, but also so she just accepts it as the new normal.
She ended up chewing on the hard cone! I know it seems impossible, but there was a flap where it overlapped itself, and she managed to access it. I was afraid she'd swallow hard plastic when I wasn't looking...so back to the soft cone! She bit that one, but didn't take bites out of it, at least. Now she's past the cone phase, but the antibiotics plus surgery upset her stomach (nasty soft poops) and she has to be on metronidazole for a bit longer. She is however her cheerful self, so that is nice to see!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
So good you found the rock! That’s really something.

When Gracie was spayed, I bought a soft inflatable collar and it worked well for over a week. Then she found out how to loop it around and wound up carrying it around in her mouth with the collar still attached. It did still keep her away from the stitches though, and was toward the end of the two weeks so I just rode it out. They are clever little things aren’t they?

Here’s a few pics with the collar working well....and later when she discovered it could double as a toy.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So good you found the rock! That’s really something.

When Gracie was spayed, I bought a soft inflatable collar and it worked well for over a week. Then she found out how to loop it around and wound up carrying it around in her mouth with the collar still attached. It did still keep her away from the stitches though, and was toward the end of the two weeks so I just rode it out. They are clever little things aren’t they?

Here’s a few pics with the collar working well....and later when she discovered it could double as a toy.
Love these photos, carolinek!

PTP, i've been giving her probiotics just about every day since we brought her home. She's still taking them, so that should help. (and I know what you mean--i can't tolerate antibiotics very well, myself!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts