Poodle Forum banner

Spay or Not spay

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  CharismaticMillie 
#1 ·
I would like some advice. I will take in to consideration what everyone thinks. Please don't be rude.
I have a Spoo Latte.She is AKC. Her parents are tested. We go see a trainer two times a week. She knows her commands. We have just started agility I do want to compete. My train thinks she would make a great therpy dog for children. So that is what we will be working for.:)I started thinking about it and I would like to breed her. I would want to give the pups to special needs people. I am not saying that these pups will be therpy dogs but I do think they would be great pet for special needs familys. I would do all the proper testing needed. I would not breed her till she is at least two years.
If I do spay what age would be best she is 6 months now.
So to spay or not to spay ?

#2 ·
Breeding is an expensive, and potentially heartbreaking (not to say kitchen wrecking - see other thread!) undertaking. I would be very, very wary of going into it without an experienced breeder to guide and mentor you, and without funds in place to cover the costs (testing, vet care, time off work, emergency cesarian, hand raising puppies ...). It is very difficult for even the most experienced breeders to know how pups from any particular breeding will turn out in terms of temperament - your pups may prove too shy, or too boisterous for the homes you envisage.

Poodles are lovely dogs, and I understand your wish to share your pleasure in your dog with others most in need, but a standard poodle is a big, expensive undertaking for a family in terms of healthcare, feeding and grooming - purchase price is the least of the lifetime expense. There may be other, equally delightful breeds or mixes better suited to their needs.

#3 ·
PS standard advice is to spay between first and second season, but your vet will be able to advise you.

#4 ·
Paula Rene, I applaud you for your therapy work, and for coming from a place of wanting to help those with special needs find the love that you have found from your dog. My adult brother is autistic, and I work with Special Olympics so I am just giving you my perspective as someone who has a disabled family member, and is familiar with working with individuals with special needs. I personally would not buy a puppy from a new breeder who does not have an established program. I may also want to have seen a previous litter from the proposed breeding to see how those puppies turned out. If anything, those with special needs need a puppy from someone with the most experience at breeding, has a well established puppy socialization program, and has extensive experience temperament testing puppies before placing into homes. Even with temperament testing, it will still be extremely important that the puppy receive obedience training.

Please understand that I think you had a wonderful thought coming from only the best intentions, and that Latte sounds like a delightful girl, but I would spay.

#9 ·
Yes I did. I will have a lot to think about. My dogs are super spoiled lol.they have there own room. There is nothing in there that can be ripped up. We had a litter of 3 week old rottie pit mix dumped on my proporty and they did great it there. All 11 of them. They were so cute. I got them all fixed and found homes for them. I would never fix that many pups at one time again tho:(

#7 ·
I would spay 6 months is a good age. :)

Your dog is so young to even consider breeding for a specific job as theropy. Not every dog in a litter comes out as one type of temparment.
I think you should spend a great deal of time with your breeder mentor and in the field you are interested in BEFORE you attempt to breed.

#10 · (Edited)
I think this is the best responds. :) You are completely right. She is only six months I don't know how she will turn out.I will wait and see how it goes I can always get her spayed later. That way i have plenty of time to think about all the hard work that has to go in to breeding and raising a litter. Thanks you everyone for all the great response. I am leaning more to getting she spayed now. I love this form so much everyone here is so friendly and just wants what is best for the dog.

#12 ·
I would NOT spay her. You seem very knowledgable and have the vet and breeder to help you. She may turn out to be the worlds BEST mother and produce offspring that will brighten other peoples lives. If you spay her now, you will lose the opportunity to follow your heart. By working her in obedience etc, you will broaden your circle of contacts and you may have all her puppies sold before they are even born.

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice I will wait and see how she turns out.:) I have done tons and tons of research.I know some people on here might think I am not educated because of the way I type. I am educated I just have a writing disability. I don't let it slow me down tho:)

#14 ·
I think that you do not need to have her spayed.
Not all dogs that are not meant for breeding need to be spayed.

I have never had any problems keeping my bitches safe when in heat, and its super easy if you don't have another male in the house :p

But having a litter of spoos is HARD work, so think about it.

#16 ·
I think that you do not need to have her spayed.
Not all dogs that are not meant for breeding need to be spayed.
Perhaps... but then you could run a higher risk of pyometra or other reproductive organ diseases... if the uterus is not being used, it makes sense to have it removed. Also, a bitch in heat may not be the best therapy dog for a couple of months during the year - they have their minds on other things...

Can you tell that I love my spayed girls! :lol:

Good luck with your decision (my vote is for spay, though!) :)

#15 ·
Before I respond: I know this may sound harsh, so I want you to know the reason I'm saying this-- it wouldn't be responsible of us if you didn't see the other argument. I don't think you can put something this controversial out on a public message board and then try to cover with "no judgments, please."

I see a lot of assumptions on your part that sound like magical thinking. For example: There are so many poodles for adoption from breeders and from rescues. Why not train and donate those, or donate money to the organizations that help special needs people? Another example: How do you even know they'd want, could afford to care for, or appreciate what you are giving them? Lastly: How do you know they won't be placed with someone who will abuse or abandon them? Are you prepared to microchip them and take them back in those situations?

Unless you have a clear plan on how to manage all the issues at stake that have been raised, I strongly suggest you think twice. I sincerely admire and appreciate your desire to help others with your beloved poodles, but since you asked...this does sound a bit misdirected in my opinion.

That said, I don't know you, your history, or your situation, all of which may make you the perfect person to do this. I also sincerely appreciate that you have the patience to wait and consider the situation and all its ramifications fully. I respect that a lot!

#18 ·
I can get them all microchiped thats a great idea. I wish I thought of that with my rescue pups that I had. I could take any pup back at anytime. I live on 25 acres.Money is not a issue at all. I have not made my mind up one way or the other. I will do more reseach. Plus I need to wait and see how she turns out.Anything could happen who know she might not even pass the testing. I never said anything about being judge.I personally don't think you can judge someone unless you have met them and spent time with them. All I said was don't be rude. Which I don't think you where at all I just wanted others thought on the matter. Whatever peoples thoughts are is fine with me for or against her being spayed.

#23 ·
My two cents. I consider myself to be a dog savvy person. I grew up with dogs, and have had them my entire adult life. All sorts of breeds. I am in my fifties. I have a Spoo who recently turned one that I got at 4 months from a decent breeder. This dog has been a huge amount of work, she is a wonderful dog, but she has a LOT of energy. I truly do NOT believe this is a breed for Special Needs folks. At least not before they are at least 3 yrs old and a lot of training. And even then, they need a lot of exercise to be fair to the dog. Is that fair to a special needs person? They take an enormous amount of time and money to groom, I don't think saddling people who already have challenges dealing with life to deal with that time and cost. Please consider this very carefully, as well as the physical risk to your dog, with every heat she is more likely to get breast cancer. I agree that your time and money would much better be spent supporting an existing group who train and provide dogs to people in need.

#27 ·
I don't think any child under 12 should have there own dog weather they are Special need or not.:doh: I personally think if a child is under 12 the pet should be a family dog. Thats just to much for a child to handle. I am concerned about the grooming of the dog. It is something to think about like I said I am going to reseach more and wait to see how she turns out. :)
I also think there are pros and cons to spaying. Spaying dose have it cons.

#24 ·
my spoo is 7 months old and is already calming down a lot. i think she'd make a really good service/therapy dog.

my sister has a 6 month old white spoo who will be her disabled daughter's service dog. she is a baby and very bouncy and jumpy. however, she also has a calm side to her that you can see she will outgrow the puppiness.

i think sparkle (my sister's dog), will be very good in her role to assist my niece, but it's up to my sister to really train her (i work my dog more)

#25 ·
Can I also say how much I appreciate your ability to accept all points of view, Paula. In the end it will be your decision to make, but being open to opposing views will mean that it is a well-informed decision. Good luck, either way - and have lots of fun with your dog in the meantime!

(You may find the research on this link interesting Gerald P. Murphy Cancer Foundation: Ovaries & Longevity - there are many established arguments in favour of spaying a bitch, not least avoiding unwanted pups and reducing her risk of pyometria and certain cancers - this research indicates there may be some health benefits to NOT spaying. This is something I have been wondering about more and more since hitting the menopause myself, and discovering what life with minimal oestrogen is like!)

#26 ·
Special needs is a BROAD category. Some special needs individuals are very high functioning, others need assistance with everything they do. I doubt that a family with a low functioning individual would go looking for a dog simply because they do not have the time to take on one more responsibility.

My spoos are not any more high maintenance than a dog that sheds profusely. In fact, I would say they are less work as I do not have to vacuum every day, worry about fur all over my clothes, or fur in my food. My boys require grooming every 6 weeks, with a few brushings in between, which I would consider FAR from high maintenance.

As for exercise, if the individual is mobile (either walking or wheelchair), can throw a ball, and/or toss a frisbee, I see little reason as to why a calmer spoo would not work for them.

As for breeding, I think there are enough breeders out there already. Too many out there in fact.

#28 ·
If you think you want to breed service dogs/breed and donate puppies, I would get involved in the service dog world and service dog programs. Find out what their requirements are for donated puppies. Service dogs have to have exceptional temperaments and the healthiest ancestors possible. Also find out the demand for Spoos with these organizations since Spoos have really fallen out of favor as service dogs so they may not even want/need your pups. The program I applied to has a few trusted breeders they know produce quality service dog candidates and that is kind of it. Basically, while that is a very noble ambition, it might not be as realistic.
I will also point out that many families with a special needs member aren't up to/don't have time for raising a puppy and may be more drawn to young adult or adult dogs who are already trained. The cost and/or of the grooming alone may be prohibitive as these families often have extra expenses from their special needs member.
I will also mention there are already tons of therapy dog candidates in the world. Both of my dogs are (one is a retired service dog) and they came from goodness only knows where.
I think making her a service dog is awesome. I think if you got involved as a volunteer for a service dog program that would be great too. IMO, I don't think you need to breed your dog to help those with special needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.