Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice. I will take in to consideration what everyone thinks. Please don't be rude.
I have a Spoo Latte.She is AKC. Her parents are tested. We go see a trainer two times a week. She knows her commands. We have just started agility I do want to compete. My train thinks she would make a great therpy dog for children. So that is what we will be working for.:)I started thinking about it and I would like to breed her. I would want to give the pups to special needs people. I am not saying that these pups will be therpy dogs but I do think they would be great pet for special needs familys. I would do all the proper testing needed. I would not breed her till she is at least two years.
If I do spay what age would be best she is 6 months now.
So to spay or not to spay ?

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Breeding is an expensive, and potentially heartbreaking (not to say kitchen wrecking - see other thread!) undertaking. I would be very, very wary of going into it without an experienced breeder to guide and mentor you, and without funds in place to cover the costs (testing, vet care, time off work, emergency cesarian, hand raising puppies ...). It is very difficult for even the most experienced breeders to know how pups from any particular breeding will turn out in terms of temperament - your pups may prove too shy, or too boisterous for the homes you envisage.

Poodles are lovely dogs, and I understand your wish to share your pleasure in your dog with others most in need, but a standard poodle is a big, expensive undertaking for a family in terms of healthcare, feeding and grooming - purchase price is the least of the lifetime expense. There may be other, equally delightful breeds or mixes better suited to their needs.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
PS standard advice is to spay between first and second season, but your vet will be able to advise you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Paula Rene, I applaud you for your therapy work, and for coming from a place of wanting to help those with special needs find the love that you have found from your dog. My adult brother is autistic, and I work with Special Olympics so I am just giving you my perspective as someone who has a disabled family member, and is familiar with working with individuals with special needs. I personally would not buy a puppy from a new breeder who does not have an established program. I may also want to have seen a previous litter from the proposed breeding to see how those puppies turned out. If anything, those with special needs need a puppy from someone with the most experience at breeding, has a well established puppy socialization program, and has extensive experience temperament testing puppies before placing into homes. Even with temperament testing, it will still be extremely important that the puppy receive obedience training.

Please understand that I think you had a wonderful thought coming from only the best intentions, and that Latte sounds like a delightful girl, but I would spay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks.I will have a lot of thinking to do. I do have the money for the cost. I do have a mentor.Lattes breeder. I also have a great vet. I see her a lot sinces we have 6 doggies lol:doh:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would spay 6 months is a good age. :)

Your dog is so young to even consider breeding for a specific job as theropy. Not every dog in a litter comes out as one type of temparment.
I think you should spend a great deal of time with your breeder mentor and in the field you are interested in BEFORE you attempt to breed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would like to add that a poodle truly is high maintenance and might not be appropriate for a special needs owner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you see the pictures of the ripped up kitchen?
Yes I did. I will have a lot to think about. My dogs are super spoiled lol.they have there own room. There is nothing in there that can be ripped up. We had a litter of 3 week old rottie pit mix dumped on my proporty and they did great it there. All 11 of them. They were so cute. I got them all fixed and found homes for them. I would never fix that many pups at one time again tho:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would spay 6 months is a good age. :)

Your dog is so young to even consider breeding for a specific job as theropy. Not every dog in a litter comes out as one type of temparment.
I think you should spend a great deal of time with your breeder mentor and in the field you are interested in BEFORE you attempt to breed.
I think this is the best responds. :) You are completely right. She is only six months I don't know how she will turn out.I will wait and see how it goes I can always get her spayed later. That way i have plenty of time to think about all the hard work that has to go in to breeding and raising a litter. Thanks you everyone for all the great response. I am leaning more to getting she spayed now. I love this form so much everyone here is so friendly and just wants what is best for the dog.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would NOT spay her. You seem very knowledgable and have the vet and breeder to help you. She may turn out to be the worlds BEST mother and produce offspring that will brighten other peoples lives. If you spay her now, you will lose the opportunity to follow your heart. By working her in obedience etc, you will broaden your circle of contacts and you may have all her puppies sold before they are even born.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would NOT spay her. You seem very knowledgable and have the vet and breeder to help you. She may turn out to be the worlds BEST mother and produce offspring that will brighten other peoples lives. If you spay her now, you will lose the opportunity to follow your heart. By working her in obedience etc, you will broaden your circle of contacts and you may have all her puppies sold before they are even born.
Thanks for the advice I will wait and see how she turns out.:) I have done tons and tons of research.I know some people on here might think I am not educated because of the way I type. I am educated I just have a writing disability. I don't let it slow me down tho:)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think that you do not need to have her spayed.
Not all dogs that are not meant for breeding need to be spayed.

I have never had any problems keeping my bitches safe when in heat, and its super easy if you don't have another male in the house :p

But having a litter of spoos is HARD work, so think about it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Before I respond: I know this may sound harsh, so I want you to know the reason I'm saying this-- it wouldn't be responsible of us if you didn't see the other argument. I don't think you can put something this controversial out on a public message board and then try to cover with "no judgments, please."

I see a lot of assumptions on your part that sound like magical thinking. For example: There are so many poodles for adoption from breeders and from rescues. Why not train and donate those, or donate money to the organizations that help special needs people? Another example: How do you even know they'd want, could afford to care for, or appreciate what you are giving them? Lastly: How do you know they won't be placed with someone who will abuse or abandon them? Are you prepared to microchip them and take them back in those situations?

Unless you have a clear plan on how to manage all the issues at stake that have been raised, I strongly suggest you think twice. I sincerely admire and appreciate your desire to help others with your beloved poodles, but since you asked...this does sound a bit misdirected in my opinion.

That said, I don't know you, your history, or your situation, all of which may make you the perfect person to do this. I also sincerely appreciate that you have the patience to wait and consider the situation and all its ramifications fully. I respect that a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think that you do not need to have her spayed.
Not all dogs that are not meant for breeding need to be spayed.
Perhaps... but then you could run a higher risk of pyometra or other reproductive organ diseases... if the uterus is not being used, it makes sense to have it removed. Also, a bitch in heat may not be the best therapy dog for a couple of months during the year - they have their minds on other things...

Can you tell that I love my spayed girls! :lol:

Good luck with your decision (my vote is for spay, though!) :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before I respond: I know this may sound harsh, so I want you to know the reason I'm saying this-- it wouldn't be responsible of us if you didn't see the other argument. I don't think you can put something this controversial out on a public message board and then try to cover with "no judgments, please."

I see a lot of assumptions on your part that sound like magical thinking. For example: There are so many poodles for adoption from breeders and from rescues. Why not train and donate those, or donate money to the organizations that help special needs people? Another example: How do you even know they'd want, could afford to care for, or appreciate what you are giving them? Lastly: How do you know they won't be placed with someone who will abuse or abandon them? Are you prepared to microchip them and take them back in those situations?

Unless you have a clear plan on how to manage all the issues at stake that have been raised, I strongly suggest you think twice. I sincerely admire and appreciate your desire to help others with your beloved poodles, but since you asked...this does sound a bit misdirected in my opinion.

That said, I don't know you, your history, or your situation, all of which may make you the perfect person to do this. I also sincerely appreciate that you have the patience to wait and consider the situation and all its ramifications fully. I respect that a lot!
I can get them all microchiped thats a great idea. I wish I thought of that with my rescue pups that I had. I could take any pup back at anytime. I live on 25 acres.Money is not a issue at all. I have not made my mind up one way or the other. I will do more reseach. Plus I need to wait and see how she turns out.Anything could happen who know she might not even pass the testing. I never said anything about being judge.I personally don't think you can judge someone unless you have met them and spent time with them. All I said was don't be rude. Which I don't think you where at all I just wanted others thought on the matter. Whatever peoples thoughts are is fine with me for or against her being spayed.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
All I said was don't be rude. Which I don't think you where at all I just wanted others thought on the matter. Whatever peoples thoughts are is fine with me for or against her being spayed.
I like your attitude! This is one of those topics that could go bad if taken to to personally. I also can appreciate your goals towards helping others with special needs -

I personally think a well bred and trained poodle is perfect for this field of work. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like your attitude! This is one of those topics that could go bad if taken to to personally. I also can appreciate your goals towards helping others with special needs -

I personally think a well bred and trained poodle is perfect for this field of work. :)
Thanks you so much. :) Im just not the best brain stormer :doh: and I also wanted the out look of other people:). I love all my dogs and want whats best for them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts