Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annie was at the vet today to get her stitches on her foot out. The vet gave her a cone because it's still not quite healed (cough, chewed on it, cough). The cone they gave her is too big (4" past the end of her nose lying down), so she can't eat or drink with it on. The vet was... not great, as usual.

I was complaining to a coworker that I don't like my vet, and asked who he uses. He recommended a vet, and also suggested that I consider having Annie get a laparoscopic spay, which is what he did for his Portugese Water dog, citing really fast healing times. He said it's about $200 more than a traditional spay, but he was really happy to have spent the money.

Annie's scheduled with my parent's vet (who is fantastic, and bandages dogs so they don't need a cone of shame) for a traditional spay at 17 months. It's a 5 hour drive to get there, but I'd be going anyway, and she'll have to stay with my mom for a week afterwards unless I take vacation as the vet will only spay her if she remains nearby for at least 5 days post operation.

What are your thoughts on laparoscopic spays?

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
My Old girl Flower had a laparoscopic spay, she still managed to chew out what stitches there were mind you this was roughly 14 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Truly each dog is different, I've had 6 female poodles, I found using a shirt to completely cover the incision worked. On my boy, my last poodle I used a cloud collar, so much easier, according to my vet boys tend to bother their incisions not the girls, he suggested the shirt.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea on the cloud collar, they look way more comfortable than the cone. The cone I have from the vet right now she just isn't functional with it on.

My parents vet does a great job of bandaging so that the incision stays clean, and doesn't require a cone for spays unless the dog is bugging the bandaging, which is nice.

Still conflicted because a lapaproscopic (which is local) would potentially be good, and I know they do gastroplexies which I haven't decided one yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts