Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
Just looking at those photos made me itchy! We ask a lot of our pups not to bite and scratch at their healing wounds.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looking at those photos made me itchy! We ask a lot of our pups not to bite and scratch at their healing wounds.
I almost needed a cone for myself, I wished I could scratch for her, lol.

Wow! Looks like it healed quite nicely! Thanks for taking the time to do this!
You’re welcome! I had a hard time finding pictures like this of healing progress online. It helps to know what to expect. Her incision isn’t the tidy kind I’m used to seeing on humans at work so I wanted other people to see what’s normal.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s an update on her incision. Not good. Once the cone was gone she started licking her incision occasionally. I recently noticed the top of the incision was swelling a bit, and then more swollen the next day. So it’s back to the cone. I was so excited for her to be done with it. I sent an email with the pics to my vet to see what they say on Monday.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here’s a pic from today. The swelling has gone down a lot but now there is a knot of clear and blue sutures sticking out from the top of her incision. Lacey is acting normal, eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping.

thanks, fenris-wolf. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like maybe her body is just pushing out the stitches/is scarring? Misty got a tick bite a while back, and I left the head in by accident when I pulled it 🤦‍♀️. She had something similar around the bite, but the vet said she was fine. The head popped out shortly after. I’d still take her to the vet to make sure there is no infection or anything else, but since she’s eating, drinking, and pottying fine (and presumably not running a fever), I wouldn’t worry too much. :)

And no more licking, Miss Lacey!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Floofypoodle, sounds similar to my vet’s reply. Thankfully she wasn’t having any signs of infection at the incision site, but I was concerned she’d have to wear the e collar for another two weeks! The vet’s reply:

“The little suture knot is causing some irritation. You can gently pull it, it may have dissolved enough to come out, or we can snip the knot off. You can put a little triple antibiotic (like neosporin) on it as well. If you want us to snip the knot off for you, let me know and we can find a time to do it tomorrow.”

I tried gently pulling the suture knot and unsurprisingly it wasn’t dissolved enough to come out. I’ve heard it can take months to dissolve. But there was enough extra sticking out that I felt comfortable snipping it off myself with sharp, disinfected scissors. I attached a pic. The next pic is immediately after I removed the suture knot. I stopped using the e collar right away, but I did spray bitter apple on the area to discourage licking. It’s a few days later the incision is looking good and she hasn’t messed with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m so glad you guys are finding this helpful. I hope this thread eases the nerves a little and helps you feel more prepared.

Yes, I’m thankful Lacey’s suture problem was simple and easily taken care of at home. I wasn’t even aware that could happen. From here on out assume no news is good news!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Wow she's looking so good! It's amazing how quickly they go back to normal even with a rough looking post op site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts