Poodle Forum banner

Did your poodle wear a cone after her spay? For how long?

• Yes - For less than 1 week

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes - For 1 to 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes - For longer than 2 weeks

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No Cone

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally booked Peggy’s spay. I’m still feeling all sorts of anxiety about it, but most pressingly I’m trying to process the advice I just got from our vet: She wants Peggy wearing a cone for two full weeks after the surgery. This seems excessive to me, but I know the itchy late-healing phase can be the most challenging.

If your poodle didn’t wear a cone, what method did you use? Did you use something different during the day vs. the night?

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
I tend to interpret advice like this to mean, "be prepared to prevent Peggy from biting her stitches for up to two weeks." The method may vary and the duration/timing may vary. I no longer remember how I cared for Mia, but IIRC they only bothered her once or twice during the recovery period, and I was able to redirect her attention. I don't recall her wearing a cone (or other device) for more than a few hours (probably towards the beginning when I was figuring out what she really needed). Likewise, you may discover that her stitches only bother her at night, or when she's tired, or when she's bored, and find a non-cone solution.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hahaha do you remember Annie's glued on bandage?

But to be honest, I would much rather the bandage and the upside down t-shirt than a cone. She shuts down and is afraid in a cone. My dad's dog was also recently spayed and did the bandage and then t-shirt method successfully.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Misha wore a cone for maybe 9 days after his surgery. But next time I think I'll invest in a recovery suit. The cone seemed to rub his ears and cause raw spots.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, wondering how old Peggy is now? I've scheduled a neuter for my 22 month old male toy poodle, and I'm also nervous. I'm hoping I've waited long enough....

·
Registered
298 Posts
We used a few t-shirts, one on the front & then cut out some for the back. You do have to tie up the back of the t-shirt somehow but can make it work.
(She froze with a cone & would not move, didn't matter what type of cone we tried.)
You can order a surgery suit, dog recovery suits, dog t-shirts on Amazon - they have all types. Wish we had done that years ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just posted on this subject in another thread (Olive's spay).

Instead of a cone consider a onesie, I'm sure you dog will be happier; ours was.
My worry with the onesie is that she’d be able to get her nose into the leg holes. I wonder if there’s a kind with some leg coverage?

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
She’ll be 20 months this week and just a few weeks shy of 2 years old on spay day. My biggest fear is temperament changes.
I’ve seriously never had an unpleasant temperament change in one of my dogs after a spay. She’ll be less hormonal, so that can’t be bad...

Beckie wore a cone for a few days but I mostly took it off during the day when I was watching her. I quickly found an alternative (baby onesie) and she was fine with it during the night. Just don’t make the mistake of trusting her not to lick. Because they all would if they could.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve seriously never had an unpleasant temperament change in one of my dogs after a spay. She’ll be less hormonal, so that can’t be bad...

Beckie wore a cone for a few days but I mostly took it off during the day when I was watching her. I quickly found an alternative (baby onesie) and she was fine with it during the night. Just don’t make the mistake of trusting her not to lick. Because they all would if they could.
Peggy’s third heat has been absolutely heavenly. Just a chill, snuggly, dream poodle. If spaying her captures this energy, I will be sooooo happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My worry with the onesie is that she’d be able to get her nose into the leg holes. I wonder if there’s a kind with some leg coverage?
It’s possible but Lucy didn’t try to do that. I guess if it fits snugly enough that shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I only have Lacey to go off of, but she didn’t have a change of temperament. She became more cuddly with me in what seemed a very sudden way, but I could chalk that up to age and closer bonding at a year old.

I know you already read about Lacey’s spay recovery, but I highly recommend a blow up donut collar. They’re awesome because they don’t restrict vision or hearing at all and no problems eating or drinking with one on. Lacey actually really seemed to like it, it was like wearing a comfy pillow! She never once had an objection to it. I think I bought the e-komg one in medium (not misspelled, lol). But I’m pretty sure all the blue donut e collars on Amazon are the exact same.

I also like the soft cones but I don’t have a good recommendation for bigger dogs. She did well with that too, but I did training with it before the spay.

I used a onesie toward the end of the 2 weeks. My concern with a onesie is that a dog can still chew at it through the fabric if they’re determined enough. I still think it’s worth buying one because it would be the most comfy option if tolerated. Lacey did not tolerate that one for more than a few days before she started trying to rip it off and stretching out the back leg holes with her teeth. It was very soft and a comfy fit on her. So I went back to the blow up collar.

Get both em early and do some training! You might want to end up using both. How much time do you have?

Would you believe that my vet didn’t recommend a cone or any kind of preventative for pulling out stitches!?

You know I totally can sympathize with how you’re feeling about the spay. You’ll feel such a weight lifted off your shoulders when it’s done.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only have Lacey to go off of, but she didn’t have a change of temperament. She became more cuddly with me in what seemed a very sudden way, but I could chalk that up to age and closer bonding at a year old.

I know you already read about Lacey’s spay recovery, but I highly recommend a blow up donut collar. They’re awesome because they don’t restrict vision or hearing at all and no problems eating or drinking with one on. Lacey actually really seemed to like it, it was like wearing a comfy pillow! She never once had an objection to it. I think I bought the e-komg one in medium (not misspelled, lol). But I’m pretty sure all the blue donut e collars on Amazon are the exact same.

I also like the soft cones but I don’t have a good recommendation for bigger dogs. She did well with that too, but I did training with it before the spay.

I used a onesie toward the end of the 2 weeks. My concern with a onesie is that a dog can still chew at it through the fabric if they’re determined enough. I still think it’s worth buying one because it would be the most comfy option if tolerated. Lacey did not tolerate that one for more than a few days before she started trying to rip it off and stretching out the back leg holes with her teeth. It was very soft and a comfy fit on her. So I went back to the blow up collar.

Get both em early and do some training! You might want to end up using both. How much time do you have?

Would you believe that my vet didn’t recommend a cone or any kind of preventative for pulling out stitches!?

You know I totally can sympathize with how you’re feeling about the spay. You’ll feel such a weight lifted off your shoulders when it’s done.
Yeah, I don’t think a onesie would stop her if she really wanted to get at the incision. She’s so tolerant of her diaper, but one time she was desperate to lick herself and had it shredded before I even realized what she was doing...and I was in the same room!

I’ll try the inflatable donut. Our neighbours’ doodle looked so adorable in his:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a challenge finding a cone that was a big enough "lampshade" to keep Suki's long snoot from getting to her stitches. I eventually got a Comfy Cone which is padded. (Widely available, I bought mine on Amazon) It has plastic "ribbing" that keeps cone rigid, but they are removable. She also froze when I'd put the cone on her, although this suddenly being immobile wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It helped her to rest. I took some of the rigid plastic stays out of the cone so I could fold the sides back a little. I'd take the cone off if I was 100% confident I could watch her. But don't turn your back for a minute! It seemed like with in a few seconds she could get at her stitches if I wasn't watching like a hawk. She did end up compromising her stitches a little, and I worried and worried, but I kept the area clean and tried to keep her quiet. It all turned out fine. I also used a few old t-shirts. You'll find what works best for you! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Poppy wore an adapted onesie - I made holes for her tail and so she could pee and poo. I rarely left her unwatched, and I don't recall her ever wanting to lick the wound. I'd try a onesie or recovery suit, with the donut in reserve.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Winnie wore a baby grow suit at night which we put on back to front so the poppers were at the back and we could leave the bottom bit unpopped for her tail to come out. We cut the feet off. During the day she wore something similar (onsie recovery suit) but with no arms and legs and there were poppers at the tail which we unpopped when she went to the toilet. Worked like a dream.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Well Renn is a male but when he got neutered he wore a cone for just about the full two weeks. I did take it off during the day during week 2 but when he was put to bed unsupervised I put it on him. His incision looked really red in the beginning and I could bearly look and I hated that I waited till he was so big, but in reality after about day 3 it began healing. (I was so neurotic that I took pictures early on as I was convinced it wasn't good). I don't normally get worried so easily but I was a basket case. They make better cones now and I would invest in one rather then those big ol plastic things.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
No cone for any of my girls, they all wore t-shirts that covered their incision, modified to tuck up, out of sight out of mind.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts