Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet only does conventional spaying. However, nearby are vets who do laser spaying. I have also heard & read about laproscopic spaying though haven't found one nearby.

What are the pros & cons of the various procedures? Which have you had done & how did it go?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I can't comment on the laparoscopic (speling?) surgery as I have never seen it done but I can tell you about the laser spay: It is awesome!!!! :D Totally worth the extra money.

The laser beam is used instead of the scalpel for all the cutting during the surgery. When a scalpel blade cuts tissue, all the little blood vessels start bleeding everywhere and the vet (or surgeon) has to clamp and suction and dab with gauze because all the blood is annoying and obscures the view.

When the laser cuts, it automatically cauterizes all the blood vessels. There's virtually no bleeding. Only the very large blood vessels bleed. If your dog is spayed before her first heat, there won't be any overly large vessels and no bleeding. (Which means no blood loss for your dog.)

With a laser spay, the incision is smaller, there's less swelling, almost no bleeding and the recovery time is cut in half.

With conventional spaying, we usually have to keep the dog overnight, some dogs even need abdominal bandages to stop the bleeding and swelling.

With laser spays, the dogs are usually ready to go home about 4 hours after the surgery. They usually have no idea that anything has even been done to them. It's great!

I highly recommend it! :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lacey had the laprascopic spay. LOVED IT! It was a single port (one tiny incision) laprascopic spay. Almost no recovery time. Well worth the extra dollars IMO :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh this is such good and helpful info! My Pearl is six months and I have been debating on when to spay. I'm definitely going to research these new methods!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Wow Salukie! If your vet has to hospitalize and bandage most conventional spays you guys do then they shouldnt be doing them!!!
I cant comment on the laser as we dont have one and i have never seen it done. I do question the smaller incision though (you still have to pull everything out to laser it, and you should see our small "conventional" spay incisions!), and the faster healing time.

Being as i work for a vet who does conventional spays, and we have done many many many since ive been there, i like it. I would not personally go to a strange vet who doesnt know me or my dog just because they have a laser. My 0.02$.

·
Registered
494 Posts
LOL, Big poodle person! I was only thinking of the very large, obese, in heat ones... we don't have to bandage the regular spays, thank goodness!

(And our vet keeps them overnight because he's ANAL!!) LOL :laugh:

We did a pyometra spay with the laser about a month ago and it was awesome!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts