Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who has spent an enormous amount of time researching and talking to breeders in a very relaxed search for my eventual next addition to the family a question has to come to my mind that I do not know the answer too. When looking at info for breeders I know all the basics to check for such as all the correct health testing, accomplishments etc but what is considered a responsible amount of litters for a female to have over a certain time frame? I had somewhere along the line heard one litter per year. Do reputable breeders breed their females more than this? I have seen a few instances where the health testing is all in place etc but a particular female in the program is giving birth more often? Curious from breeders here how this is determined? Does it just depend on mom? How well she handles it and bounces back etc? I have seen them be as close as 7 mos apart from litter delivery to litter delivery and was just curious if this is an acceptable practice since I know nothing of breeding. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,883 Posts
If the bitch is in excellent health and is a good mom then breeding on back to back heat cycles can be done (and often is). The age at which a bitch bred that way retires will generally be younger.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I don't know much about breeding and had the same concern when I was buying Frosty because his dam had just had a litter around 7 mos. prior. Apparently, the practice is perfectly acceptable, assuming the bitch is in excellent physical condition, and in fact can lower her risk of mammary tumors.

http://www.rutlandmanor.com/uploads/5/6/3/1/5631556/_back_to_back_breeding.pdf

You know you quoted the co-creator of the labradoodle in Australia, lol ?

I never thought I’d see you do such a thing, hi hi hi...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I learned from someone prominent in another breed that theriogenologists often suggest doing this, so in responsible breeders it's a good thing. Of course, that responsible breeder thing is quite key in my understanding :).

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
UK
From the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999:

Licensed breeders must:

Not mate a bitch less than 12 months old.
Not whelp more than four litters from a bitch.
Not whelp two litters within a 12 month period from the same bitch.
Keep accurate records.
Not sell a puppy until it is at least eight weeks of age, other than to a keeper of a licensed pet shop or Scottish rearing establishment.
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/registration/registering-your-pedigree-dog-litter/litter-registration-faqs/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts