Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old black Standard Poodle. His baby teeth were all white and nice. His adult teeth came in discolored with a yellow-brown stain. Not all his teeth are stained. Perhaps 60 % or so. It does not seem to be a superficial stain, but rather inside the enamel. I see no apparent tartar or plaque

We feed him, as well as our other 11 month old brown Standard Poodle (from a different bloodline) raw Premium Raw Commercial dog food, complemented with raw bones a few times per week. The other poodle (the brown one) has snow white teeth.

Neither dog has ever received antibiotics. Basic vaccination schedule has been followed.

Any ideas on what the cause might be and what can be done about it?

Lip Mouth Tooth Eyelash Jaw
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Jaw Mammal
Food Human body Jaw Ingredient Eyelash
Hair Nose Head Hand Eye

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have no idea what causes it, and Evelyn's teeth aren't stained to the same degree, but I had similar concerns. Vet said it was normal and I asked no further questions sadly.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
What does your vet say? I ha limited experience and I’ve never seen anything like this … but maybe it’s within normal range?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Do you know if any of his litter mates have the same issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The breeder has said that no other litter mates have the same issue. Neither, does his parents.... (apparently!?).

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gingivitis came to mind, but the with your dog, the stains seem to be on the middle of the teeth instead of near the gums, so I'm not sure. Pavie and his dog friend has signs of gingivitis and we went to a vet examination last month. Usually dogs should get their teeth checked during annual routine exams, and if there's too much plague / tartar build up, they will recommend doing a dental cleaning. Our vet said Pavie could wait another year, until he is 3 and then start the routine dental cleaning once every 1~2 years. It's to prevent gingivitis turning into advanced periodontal disease.

Ideally, owners should also be doing some home care and prevention, like brushing teeth. There's also a list of approved products by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs that has been shown to be effective. I give Pavie greenies every day. I've also bought the Hill's prescription T/D diet (which I feed as treats), and they are basically large size kibbles designed to clean teeth (and are great for getting molars cleaned).

Hopefully a vet checkup will be able to help figure out what the issue is, and give recommendations on how to follow up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.