Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent heat wave has brought fierce thunder storms, and Sophy hates them. Has anyone had any success with a sound baffling crate or bed? Any ideas of sources, or plans to make one? I can't think of a way that would cut out most of the sound while still allowing for adequate ventilation.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
No help with your question, but we live near a huge military base and experience frequent loud bombs. In her later years, our Airedale was sound sensitive. We would put her in my bedroom which was the furthest from the base, and had windows running parallel to the base's location. I would keep two large fans running to help mute the sound and the position of the open windows helped downplay the reverberations from the bombs. Eventually, the Airedale, would come trotting into my room as soon as she heard the bombs get started. Apparently, she was quite comfortable because she would stretch out on the floor and go to sleep versus the nervous panting she did if she was in any other part of the house. Oh, I want to add that it was important to keep the windows open, or they rattled horribly from the impact of reverberations.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Muting the sound, as Charmed suggested, is a really good idea. You could use fans or even a sound machine. I used a sound machine when I lived in my apartment to block out some of the noise in the hallway and it helped Miracle. Mine was just white noise but many machines offer different choices of sounds.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you ever heard of the CD Through a Dog's Ear? I knew of a few kennels that used it to calm their dogs. I down loaded it off of iTunes and it really made a difference for my dog. We also use a white noise machine at the same time.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is thundering this afternoon, and I followed Sophy into the hall and offered her a comfy bed in the cloakroom, which has an extractor fan. She indicated that it was a good idea, but she would like her special blanket. With the addition of that to the comfy heap she climbed on and settled down. I was just congratulating myself on problem solved when, after half an hour or so, she appeared beside me wanting lap time and ear rubs. So better, but not yet sorted. At least I know I can leave her a safe place to go to if I have to go out when there are unpleasant noises, though.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts