Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I KNOW this topic has been beaten to death but I admit I still don't quite understand even after reading through old posts. My puppy is terrified of my big corded Andis clipper. My old man hates it too, but tolerates it okay. They both HATE it on their face. It doesn't seem to even work well. They don't care one bit about the groomer's clippers. My girl didn't care much about the breeder's clippers. They don't care about my electric toothbrush. Even the nailgrinder is much less scary to them than the big Andis clipper. I only wanna do face feet sani, so I am looking for something smaller and quieter.

I think it was Peggy's mom who recommended the Mini Arco trimmer for this. But when I go to look, it seems like it only has a 30 blade and I am so scared of being a total newb and using such a short blade! From what I've read, I thought I should use like a 10 or something. Is this only teh recommendation for people who know what they're doing, or could I (a person with ZERO skills) figure it out? You should see the pandemic haircut I gave my children! I don't want to accidentally cut puppy when I am trying so hard to train grooming into a pleasurable experience for all of us.

I have a mini poodle puppy and an oversized toy. So small is a big benefit. But should I look at a regular Arco? Or a bravura lithium? And also... why does it seem like these are so hard to find!? They seem to be sold out all over the internet. At this point I don't even care about cost. I just want something that will work well that I can learn how to use so I can see my beautiful doggies' faces and toesies inbetween professional grooms.

(And, of course, Thank You PFers for putting up with my ignorance. ;) )

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Don't apologize! This stuff is super overwhelming for me, too. It's taking a long time to wrap my head around it, and Poodle Forum has been such a big help. I guarantee every new post you make is helping someone else!

It was actually the Bravura Lithium I recently purchased, and it's been a game changer. I just did her ears yesterday with no issue, and I was able to touch up her face after a pro groomer left her very uneven and she had a chunk of hair blocking her peripheral vision. When I tried using my corded Andis clippers on her face, it was a big NOPE.

They can be hard to find right now, probably because of covid. In the spring, I couldn't even get my hand on new blades for my Andis. Sold out everywhere!

Here's my Bravura:

I ended up purchasing from Chewy when they suddenly marked them down (I love Chewy's customer service, and their prices and availablity can change daily) but I was originally going to purchase from Ryan's.

I got them for face, feet, and tail/sanitary, but with the metal combs (purchased separately), I've heard you can do the whole body, depending on coat type. Our groomer is on sick leave, and has been helping me out via text, and she said this would only be an option on Peggy if she was meticulously brushed and blown out after bathing. But Peggy's a spoo, and she's got a lot of coarse, curly hair.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well all have the same kind of hairbabies at the end the day.

I'm currently in the process of grooming Basil's butt at home for the first time so you're not the only one braving the wilderness. (Brene Brown, anyone?)

Link here:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, PTP! Do you think I could manage the Bravura's size on mini poo feet/face? Cause I think bigger sized but easier to use would be better for me starting off than smaller sized but harder to use.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently in the process of grooming Basil's butt at home for the first time so you're not the only one braving the wilderness. (Brene Brown, anyone?)
Ha! I love it!! I am actually least worried about dog butthole trimming because I spend so much time dealing with dog butthole. My old man has been through a lot of medical stuff, so there has been SO MUCH butt washing and butt wiping that he doesn't even care anymore. Honestly, I don't even care anymore either. I'll go to wash his butt and pull my hand back with an obvious poop smear and just calmly think, "Huh, guess I missed a spot." :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Thank you, PTP! Do you think I could manage the Bravura's size on mini poo feet/face? Cause I think bigger sized but easier to use would be better for me starting off than smaller sized but harder to use.... :rolleyes:
Yes! I exclusively used my corded Andis AGC2 clippers on my dear old mini girl. Face, feet, body, everything. I had no trouble with her small size, but, for her comfort, I wish I could go back in time and use the Bravura.

Edit: Not sure why I thought my Andis clippers were AGC2. They're the UltraEdge model.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I agree with the OP. When I bought the mini, I didn't realize the blade was a 30. I use it sparingly on my spoo. I use the Wahl Bravura for FFT, and for body shaving if I want a close trim. I have the Andis Ultra Edge (2 speed) with a set of combs that I use for body trims.
IMG_5598.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did tons of research and read millions of reviews and went back and forth and decided on the andis pulse li 5 with the wahl 5in1 blade. Then my puppy arrived and I was so apprehensive about using that giant trimmer on her face! So I got a bravmini. Yes, it is short, but I feel like I have a lot of control because of the smaller size. Also, she is a black and has always been trimmed so I’m sure her skin is not as delicate. I’ve trimmed her face a few times, and she’s been fine with it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I KNOW this topic has been beaten to death but I admit I still don't quite understand even after reading through old posts. My puppy is terrified of my big corded Andis clipper. My old man hates it too, but tolerates it okay. They both HATE it on their face. It doesn't seem to even work well. They don't care one bit about the groomer's clippers. My girl didn't care much about the breeder's clippers. They don't care about my electric toothbrush. Even the nailgrinder is much less scary to them than the big Andis clipper. I only wanna do face feet sani, so I am looking for something smaller and quieter.

I think it was Peggy's mom who recommended the Mini Arco trimmer for this. But when I go to look, it seems like it only has a 30 blade and I am so scared of being a total newb and using such a short blade! From what I've read, I thought I should use like a 10 or something. Is this only teh recommendation for people who know what they're doing, or could I (a person with ZERO skills) figure it out? You should see the pandemic haircut I gave my children! I don't want to accidentally cut puppy when I am trying so hard to train grooming into a pleasurable experience for all of us.

I have a mini poodle puppy and an oversized toy. So small is a big benefit. But should I look at a regular Arco? Or a bravura lithium? And also... why does it seem like these are so hard to find!? They seem to be sold out all over the internet. At this point I don't even care about cost. I just want something that will work well that I can learn how to use so I can see my beautiful doggies' faces and toesies inbetween professional grooms.

(And, of course, Thank You PFers for putting up with my ignorance. ;) )
I wonder if your clipper blades are pulling their hair. I have my blades sharpened at least every other year (I had them sharpened more often when I had more that just one little miniature poodle!).

Most poodles are not fond of having their face shaved - not even the well trained show dogs! The only places I use a 10 blade is on the belly and the back of the tail ("sanitary"). Face, feet, and the top of the tail - I use a 40. If my dog were white or apricot I might use a 30 since those dogs tend to have more sensitive skin. A 30 or 40 is actually easier for feet because the "teeth" are so much closer together - less chance of nicking the skin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if your clipper blades are pulling their hair.
I wondered the same, but they were brand new this year! I used them less than 4 or 5 times. I think it's just me being bad at it!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I have two mpoo boys and LSS, purchased a different but much the same Wahl, the Wahl Motion. As with the PTP's Brav, the blade is a 5 in 1 cut length, adjustable blade. The cut lengths (without adding guard combs) are:

"The clipper blade #9 will leave approximately 2 mm length of coat fur, #10 will leave approximately 2 mm length of coat fur, #15 will leave approximately 1.2 mm length of coat, #30 will leave approximately 0.5 mm length of coat fur, and #40 is generally for short surgical type cuts."

I use the #9 or #10 length for face and sani, but dial it shorter for feet to #30. I bought an Andis Mini to use for the small area trims, comes with #30 blade, but the boys are a bit techy with it. They fuss a miniscule amount less using the Motion. I also do full grooms with the Motion. (Note I did not say I do them well.)

I expect the blade is no wider than your Andis and the clipper itself is lighter and easier on human wrists.
Is your Andis corded a single length detachable blade?

Johanna makes a good point about the shorter blade length being less likely to nick, but I stick with the #9 or #10 for face and sani to avoid razor burn on my lighter boy and don't bother to change it for my darker boy.

This is Sue Zecco, a Master Groomer who has probably done this in her sleep. I watch, not expecting to get the same results, but to see how she handles the clippers and the poodle. She's using the Bravura on this toy poodle.

There's also mpoo demonstration videos, a 3 parter, if you get ambitious :).

There's a goodly number of good grooming videos available but I stuck with this groomer and one other, Diane Betelal, so I could see two different groomers but not too many.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts