Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vend my soap and body care at tailgate markets from spring through the winter holidays. One of my favorite parts is the fact that people come to the market and bring their dogs. it is also one of my least favorite parts too (dogs also bring their own set of problems).

as a vendor, i leave my dogs at home.

However, i will leave my booth and greet many dogs. the other day there was a couple walking through w/ this dog who looked like a type of airedale terrier and or an irish wolfound mix. very unique. I went to the couple and asked what their dog was.

it's a labradoodle! I was shocked.

I petted it and looked closer ... okay, i can see under the scraggly beard the long poodle nose, but with lab eyes (light brown, not black, rounder and larger). long poodle legs, leaner body.

the hair/fur: i can't describe it. It was so much like the irish wolfhound look. and shedding??????????? OMG. fur flying everywhere!!!
that almost made me laugh out loud. The dog inherited the lab shedding gene!

they said, yeah we wish she didn't shed so much.

i'm wondering ... did you pay $1000 for a mutt?
why not get a lab or a standard poodle? they are both great dogs.

and it muddies the gene pool w/ each breed.

but i'm preaching to the choir here.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
PREACH IT SISTER!

I saw a number of doodles yesterday too; our local Dog Park had a big "Dog festival" thing and lets just say, the Doodles were well represented... all different shapes and sizes.... I've seen the Irish Wolfhound looking ones too... man they're funny looking!! It's so nice having Rogan on the end of my leash when I walk by one of those sad looking creatures, I just smile and nod, and I think to myself, "you just shoulda got a poodle!" and I bet they're thinking the same thing!! hehe

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yup there's one on the team that i used to play flyball with- same type that wirey wolf hound type coat- shedded. . . they got it as of course their daughter is allergic (Uh huh i'm sure this helped) they then got mini who does hve the poodle coat.... lucky them 1 out of 2 *Shkes my head*

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
In a lot of cases $1,000 is cheap. I have seen "Australian Labradoodles" advertised for $2,700 in Canada. The people who have websites for their Doodles want upwards of $2,000 for them. People who advertise on the local Kijiji or usedregina etc. etc. usually want about $600-$700.

My son was very lucky. He couldn't afford registered prices so he got a cross between a black Standard poodle and a Golden for $700. The dog hardly sheds. He looks very much like a black standard poodle with an undocked tail and he is really smart. He has never messed in the house. He has never chewed anything except the label of a plastic bottle.

Incidentally, there is a small brownish Australian Labradoodle in my obedience class. I looked AL up on the Internet and it turns out that they are a cross between a poodle/lab/american cocker/english cocker/portuguese water dog etc. etc. -- you name it -- they are what we used to call a Heinz 57 - and for that you pay $2,700 Cdn.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Doodles are "the inn thing" in California and we have lots of them. :( Goldendoodles, labardoodles and many many more. I really don't get the doodle attraction at all, as I really prefer a poodle or a golden or a lab. I like each breed for what they are and what they were originally bred to be. With the doodles, it's such a mixed bag, you just don't know what you are going to get. And the owners are just soooo proud of their expensive, designer mutts....

Last week my friend and I were walking our spoos and all four playing at the same time is quite impressive. This really nice couple comes up and admires our dogs. They tell us they are in the market for a dog and alway had goldens, but now they are considering a goldendoodle. My friend then asks why not just get a golden. They reply, they prefer a non shedding dog this time. So she says: "I see, so you want a dumb down, unpredictable version of the poodle that just might shed....." and just walked off. And this coming from my extremely polite and usually very, very politically correct friend!!!! I had a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
purley- hey another saskatchewan folk! Hi!

Yes doodles are just hype- they have done a good job of advertising themselves.

a friend mentioned she always wanted a doodle (she used to breed goldens) me nd my friend looked at her and went "WHY do you wnat something so DUMB?" becuase yes- most of them i've met hve been pretty dumb.

there's only been one doodle breeder that i hve run across that does proper testing and stuff... (just like mini aussies.... argh!)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Actually, I was very, very tempted to get a Goldendoodle. I can't see how they can all be dumb. After all if you breed a smart Golden with a smart Golden - you don't get 100 percent smart dogs. I would think the same would be for a Poodle. But if you bred a smart Poodle with a Smart Golden I would think you would have the same chance of getting a smart dog as you would if the breeds were the same.

The reason I fancied a Goldendoodle is because they have that "casual" look - the shaggy dog look. I think that is what appeals to people. Of course, you have to pick one that HAS the shaggy dog look, because they certainly aren't to the point where they breed true yet.

I was discussing this very point with someone at my agility class. We both agreed that most breeds were contrived from other breeds -- so surely most purebred dogs are the result of cross breeding and producing "mutts" until they bred true. This woman has two standard size Aussies and a miniature Aussie only the breeders of the standard Aussies say there is no such thing! Its a purebred registered Aussie but its smaller than the standards so its easier to call it a "Miniature" Aussie that to call it a an "Aussie that is smaller than the standard size" - so she is not someone with a mutt!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Lol @ the irish wolfhound mix!!
haha

We have both a Dobermann and a Standard Poodle...

People often wonder what the mix would look like... I have google it and seen it..

I tell them

"A screwed up miniature Irish Wolfhound"

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphie is a shaggy standard ((not on Friday though -does dance- ))

the excuse of hairstyles being the reason to get a mutt is absurd to me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i happen to prefer the clean face on my pupper, but i've seen standards who area kept "shaggy casual" and they are so cute. which goes back to my question as to why? WHY? the need to cross breed? i'm not fond of golden retrievers, but i do love labs (had a lab/rottie & currently have a lab/?shepherd?hound?who knows? mix). but i see no need to cross breed.

want a dog who is good w/ kids? either. want a dog who is good w/ other dogs? either. hunting dog? either. loves water? either. trainable? .... and on and on ...

want a dog who doesn't shed but has those features? standard poodle.

see i honestly think that people don't know what sturdy, athletic good dogs a spoo is and think they need to add the traits they already have to get a dog!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
That is EXACTLY how I would like mine to look. Can you tell me how I would get mine - well mine is black - to look like that? I don't get her until July, but if I get the instructions I will keep them on my computer.
I'm guessing that Poodle is still a puppy with a soft puppy coat. After the coat change most Poodles will have a curlier, most wool textured coat.

Also... that dog has too much hair in front of its eyes. Regardless of how a coat is kept, a dog's eyes should always be unobstructed.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
not to mention the care that is involved with taking care of that hair >.<

I'd be better off putting Elphie in a show coat at least I'd have an actual reason for spending so much time brushing her...

To keep Elphie from matting I spend at least an hour a day brushing her and if shes being difficult that day it can last up to 3 hours
the longer the hair the the longer you have to spend brushing it Purely...and it needs brushed alot

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
when your cross breeding your getting a huge gamit of genetic gamble.

you don't know what coat you'll get
you don't know personalities as well as if you breed well known lines to well known lines (and sorry there are IMO no well known lines in 'doodles' )
your rarely getting any genetic history on hip's elbows and other genetic issues either breed has

but yes- IMO the doodles i've had a chance to work with- in flyball, obedience and at the park have been more 'flakey' and not as able to concentrate. something i wouldn't attribute normally to a poodle (standard in these cases) or a golden.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
but yes- IMO the doodles i've had a chance to work with- in flyball, obedience and at the park have been more 'flakey' and not as able to concentrate. something i wouldn't attribute normally to a poodle (standard in these cases) or a golden.
Agreed, the Doodles I've seen in our community are almost ADD. They seem to find it difficult to focus on the task at hand.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's because the Lab part of them wants to please, but the Poodle part has to think about what's in it for them.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ironic that I found this topic today.

We had a street fair yesterday in our small town. Billy and Taffy got a ton of attention and we encountered several other dogs there. One of the residents with a fenced in yard on Main Street had a large Goldendoodle. The man came out to greet us and wanted to show him to us.

This is the first Goldendoodle I have seen in person that was not unattractive. He had long, soft, and very wavy hair with the long poodle nose but thicker. He was shaved on the muzzle. He was very quiet with all of the fuss going on all around him. He greeted Taffy and Billy like a gentleman.

I would never breed for a doodle and I told the owners and gave them my reasons why. They saw my point of view and understood that many of them end up in shelters and such and that is when they told me that he was a rescue. Thus, proving my point. I told them they were very lucky to have adopted a doodle with such a good nature. They obviously love their doodle and I am happy that he was spared an ugly and untimely death because he didn't turn out the way the original owners wanted or was too big or shed or what-have-you.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
it's nice to hear them being rescued. unfortunatly when they are a rescue and people lable them as a 'doodle' people go "wow what great dog' and go try to find one.... i had that happen with my aussie x when he was a puppy. A rescue (and only pup to survive out of six) most adorable dog ever as a pup. And temperment wise, quite sweet- softer then most aussies... and not really any work drive what so ever.

The one doodle (a mini) that played flyball (well is training) looks lamost 100% like a poodle when i last saw him (about 12 months old got his face shaved). they kept going on how much they like his look. um why not get a poodle? UGH you'd at least know it doesn't shed and your kid wouldn't be allergic to it like your big doodle. meanwhile dog has been almost impossible to train for FB- recalls almost never keep his attention- no ball drive, no toy drive...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, i saw the doodle at the market again today. it really looks a lot like an irish wolfhound. she' cute, but not as pretty as my baby.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts