Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone had any experience with Sonne's Standard Poodles in Ohio? Their website is http://www.sonnesstandardpoodles.com/index.html .
I am emotionally invested in their upcoming litter. However, several years ago we made an emotional decision to buy a Standard from a backyard breeder in Texas - and ended up fall-in-love-with/raising a pup that had frequent mild seizures. I want to feel confident in the health of our next puppy....
Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have never heard of them, but there is NO mention of health testing at all on their website. I don't know to what extent you are emotionally invested, but I would keep looking. Maybe someone else on the forum could suggest a breeder for you.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Before you just pass them up email and ask about health testing. There are several good reasons for not posting health testing on the website and they may have done it and just have not posted it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Her website doesn't mention if her dogs are shown in AKC confirmation and if they have achieved their championship. It also doesn't say anything about health testing. I would contact her and ask, but it doesn't look promising.

Here's a link to the poodle club referral page for clubs in your area.

http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/usamap.htm#OHIO

Edited to add that Locket and I are on the same wave length. lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
I see nothing about health testing, OFA, cerf, vWd, at a mimamum. Also make sure you see proof of testing, don't just take her word for it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We used to live in Ohio. There are several great breeders, definitely check out the Poodle Club link above from Poodle Lover.

Sorry, I don't know anything about this particular breeder. The prices are low, but many of the poodles in the photos aren't shaped well. (too long instead of boxy) Definitely make sure to see in person before purchasing. That will also give you an opportunity to ask to see the sire's/dam's testing/clearances.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I don't know anything about either breeder whose sites are listed on this thread, but I visited both websites and I have to say that the Sonne site looks less professional (lots of eyepopping, sort of garish colors, they talk about "champions in pedigree" but not necessarily THEIR dogs, they advertise paypal on home page, they charge different prices for different genders (I HATE that!!) and the "clearance puppy" has highwaters!) :lol: The Delta site is done in very calming colors - beautiful dogs, good information on the site. They don't seem to be jumping up and down, screaming, BUY FROM US!!!! :fish:

As a recent puppy buyer, I felt that sometimes it was nice to see the puppy prices on the website (so I knew if I was wasting my time on something I couldn't afford) - but I've come to realize that the best breeders don't post their prices because they WANT people to contact them to learn more about their program. I also found that there really weren't many puppies actually outside of my price range (I knew what we could afford, and; SURE, it'd be nice to pay less, but I wanted a well-bred, healthy puppy from tested parents and I wasn't going to get that for $500... Most of the puppies I found were $2,000 or less and that was do-able for us) Katy bought her puppy from a byb for $350 and Meau is poorly bred, and has suffered seizures too. We love Meau to bits, but I would NEVER go that way again!

Good luck on whatever you decide karenm0, but in addition to listening to your heart; don't ignore what your head tells you too!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not a quality breeder that is for sure :eek:hwell:

Even if all tests were done (and I doubt that !!!!!!!) their dogs are not looking up to standard at all .

Price is not small for what they offer :doh::doh::doh:- one can buy a TOP LINE PUPPY WITH ALL BELLS AND WHISTLES for 1.500 $!!!!!!!!

And as soon as I see different pricing by gender and color - I do not even read further ...

IMO - since you already have a sickly dog that you got from a BYB - WHY would you repeat same mistake ??? : (((

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ugh.. NO!

These people are typical BYBs. There is little or no information about their dogs: pedigrees, titles, testing, etc. The whole purpose of their web site is to SELL, SELL, SELL puppies. I'm guessing that they don't even know much about poodles.

Clues:
They cut their puppy tails wayyyyyy too short (bunny tails).
They are clearly mixing colors because they have Creams w/ liver pigment.
Their dogs are poorly groomed.
They mention "Champions in the pedigreee". :wacko:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMO - since you already have a sickly dog that you got from a BYB - WHY would you repeat same mistake ??? : (((
Our first Standard is no longer with us -- she was "pre-internet" (16 years ago) and we were ignorant about looking for a breeder. Apparently I am STILL ignorant about looking for a breeder :doh: ... but becoming educated bit-by-bit. It's hard for me to tell a backyard breeder from someone who has a champion that they breed occassionally. One of my (self-imposed) constraints is that we'd like a small female Standard. Our (neutered male) Golden is 70 lbs....plenty of body to manage :). We had my parents' 35 lb. (loveable) mutt during the last months of her life, and found that she was the perfect companion size. The fact that the mom of their upcoming litter is 35 lbs. seemed like good news to us (especially since many fine breeders seem to be going for *big*).

Thanks for all of the advice.
I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There are good breeders w/ smaller Standards, but have you considered a Mini? The difference between a BYB and someone who breeds their Champion is they have a Champion. Most good breeders put more effort into showing off their adults than showing cute puppies. Check out the links to the Poodle Club and you'll get an idea of what good breeder sites look like. Have you gone to any dogs shows? Not only are they fun but you'll find good breeders that may not have a website, be club members or advertise.

I don't see why also having Maltese is a neccessarily a bad thing. There are plenty of good breeders out there who have two (even three) breeds. It comes down to how many adult dogs they have and how many litters they produce. Maybe the wife prefers one breed and the husband another. Maybe it's a mother/daughter who live in separate homes yet use the same kennel name and/or website. Maybe the person really likes both breeds and has the time/ambition to properly breed both.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ugh.. NO!

These people are typical BYBs. There is little or no information about their dogs: pedigrees, titles, testing, etc. The whole purpose of their web site is to SELL, SELL, SELL puppies. I'm guessing that they don't even know much about poodles.

Clues:
ditto... I agree, but I also run away when I see people post on their website "Isaac's price reduced".
Ask yourself why is this puppy worth $400 less than the others?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
One of my (self-imposed) constraints is that we'd like a small female Standard. Our (neutered male) Golden is 70 lbs....plenty of body to manage :). We had my parents' 35 lb. (loveable) mutt during the last months of her life, and found that she was the perfect companion size. The fact that the mom of their upcoming litter is 35 lbs. seemed like good news to us (especially since many fine breeders seem to be going for *big*).

Thanks for all of the advice.
I'll keep looking.
Have you seen this thread on moyens/kleinpudels?? Another avenue for a smaller than average standard poodle... Good Luck!!!

http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=5288&page=2

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ugh.. NO!

Clues:

The list of things you posted was exactly my first thoughts when looking at the website. The poor grooming and tails stood out the most to me. Then I saw the pigment on a creme pup.....sorry but yep they are byb's.

Dont waste your time.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just looked over the site as well, and I agree tails are to short, there is no info on pedigree's, no titles listed, and no health testing info. I would NOT purchase a pup from this breeder ever.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ugh.. NO!

Clues:
I agree 100% here, but if you noticed they do a bang up job "advertising" products LOL to use on/for dogs lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts