Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were having some agression issues with our tpoo. Mostly it's only when we try to get a tissue from him. I posted about it under training. Anyway, I purchased a few enrichment books to help with additional training and to make sure he wasn't bored. One of the books reads like a textbook and is by 2 behaviorists.

Well, right at the beginning there was a description of odd behavior in an otherwise well behaved dog. After multiple vet visits to rule out illnesses they called in a behaviorist.

Turns out they were able to pinpoint it to one of those plug in sonar bug repellents they had recently purchased. They unplugged it and within a matter of days the dog was back to normal.

Well, after reading this I started thinking about the misbehavior my dog did at my in-laws. He never seems to be able to relax there and was very aggressive with me & actually bit my husband (his best buddy) over a tissue. At other homes he plays a bit and eventually finds a soft pillow and falls asleep. At their home he's always on alert and doesn't ever fall asleep. Then I remembered the bug repellent. It's plugged in right near the main gathering areas. He has never ever, bitten anyone, much less his best buddy. Nor has he been aggressive.

He's been his normal self since, and we've brought him to my dad's and also a friends house where his behavior was normal and he was able to relax.

So if you have one of those things.... unplug it......

·
Registered
7,270 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Weird. I had two links and they got combined into one quote above.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Goodness Mary2e, glad you figured it out. I just went through a little mystery myself, Bea's anxiety has been affecting my other dogs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goodness Mary2e, glad you figured it out. I just went through a little mystery myself, Bea's anxiety has been affecting my other dogs.
I wish I had figured it out... it never would have occurred to me had I not read it in that book. And then I remembered asking about that "thing" plugged in at my inlaws house. The test will be if he relaxes the next time we go there. I will make sure to unplug it.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Knowledge gained none the less, I hope that's the issue at the in-laws.
Bea is calmer now with the CBD oil and thunder shirt which has made the other dogs calmer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knowledge gained none the less, I hope that's the issue at the in-laws.
Bea is calmer now with the CBD oil and thunder shirt which has made the other dogs calmer.
Thank goodness. When Gilligan was young, I had good success spreading a calming product with lavendar on his little nose. If you're interested, I'll go find the tube and get you the name. It's a gel and safe to eat.

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Thank goodness. When Gilligan was young, I had good success spreading a calming product with lavendar on his little nose. If you're interested, I'll go find the tube and get you the name. It's a gel and safe to eat.
Thank you Mary2e that would be nice to know

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
A little late to this party, but wow! Totally makes sense.

There was one in our garage when we moved in, to repel rodents, and we had to unplug it because I couldn't handle the sound. My teeth clench just at the memory.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
My bad, I have several of these throughout the house. After finding a mouse in my garage I tend to go overboard, I have lemon scented bags out there and a new garage door. Been good since. I have also found silver fish, and palmetto bugs time to time but since putting those in no more plus the ones I have are also mini air filters. Not sure they work though. They do drive my daughter nuts she is the only one who can hear them. They don't seem to bother my dogs they are no different since I added them. Its good to know though as it could very well contribute to ones anxiety.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I wish I had figured it out... it never would have occurred to me had I not read it in that book. And then I remembered asking about that "thing" plugged in at my inlaws house. The test will be if he relaxes the next time we go there. I will make sure to unplug it.
That will be interesting to see if he calms down next time. But beware of the "test." He may have already made an association with being there at their house and being on edge. And even if the thing is unplugged, he may be apprehensive. Of course, one would hope he would, over some time be okay again. I sure hope so.

I haven't read those links yet but it makes sense that if he can hear it, it would put him on edge, which could certainly affect his behavior. That's smart of you to figure it out. Hope that truly is the culprit for sure and this problem will be solved.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
My bad, I have several of these throughout the house. After finding a mouse in my garage I tend to go overboard, I have lemon scented bags out there and a new garage door. Been good since. I have also found silver fish, and palmetto bugs time to time but since putting those in no more plus the ones I have are also mini air filters. Not sure they work though. They do drive my daughter nuts she is the only one who can hear them. They don't seem to bother my dogs they are no different since I added them. Its good to know though as it could very well contribute to ones anxiety.
Your daughter can hear the ultra sonic things or the air filters? Gosh, that's really something. And interesting the dogs aren't bothered by them.

Another thing that is suppose to repel insects is cedar shavings. I went to the pet store or maybe it was the Co op (before I moved here) and got a small bale of the cedar stuff that's used for rodents cages and put some in cheese cloth. I put little "sachets" in my pantry. lol. I can't tell if it works or not because I haven't seen any insects in this pantry like my last house. (they were the tiniest little black bugs...tiny!) So it may be that they wouldn't be here anyhow. Experiments are hard to prove. LOL.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That will be interesting to see if he calms down next time. But beware of the "test." He may have already made an association with being there at their house and being on edge. And even if the thing is unplugged, he may be apprehensive. Of course, one would hope he would, over some time be okay again. I sure hope so.

I haven't read those links yet but it makes sense that if he can hear it, it would put him on edge, which could certainly affect his behavior. That's smart of you to figure it out. Hope that truly is the culprit for sure and this problem will be solved.
He hasn't been there all that often, so I hope he doesn't remember. But being a poodle, he probably will :) Sometimes I think he's smarter than we are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts