Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Hard to resist that cute face, but good decision on your part! Stick with the plan.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

Registered
Is it common for poodles to not be able to be trusted off leash? My golden retriever and German shepherd have been off leash pretty much since the day they came home as puppies with no problems, or even any close calls. Just wondering if this is something I should write down in my 鈥減oodle traits鈥 list for when I eventually get one. Note to self: DO NOT let puppy off leash outside. ;)

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Is it common for poodles to not be able to be trusted off leash? My golden retriever and German shepherd have been off leash pretty much since the day they came home as puppies with no problems, or even any close calls. Just wondering if this is something I should write down in my 鈥減oodle traits鈥 list for when I eventually get one. Note to self: DO NOT let puppy off leash outside. ;)
I think it depends on if they were trained very early for it. I know there are some Poodles who can't be trusted off leash, but others are masters at being off leash. Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous!! My Australian Shepherd was the same. You might want to put that on your list馃槈

Registered
Mine have been off leash since day 1 with no issues. I think it really depends on your environment, the dog鈥檚 training, prey drive, and interest in people/dogs. However, in my experience, my poodles are more self-serving than my goldens were so I do need to make sure I get their attention before they decide that what鈥檚 over there is much more interesting...

Registered
I was going outside a few days ago and this is what I was. I wanted to let him go outside with me, but he didn't have on his leash and I know he can not be trusted off leash and would probably terrorize people馃槚
View attachment 467212
View attachment 467213
Terror is in the eye of the beholder.. he probably just wanted to say hi (and maybe jump and lick) 馃槤

Super Moderator
I was thinking of you and Sisko today as Peggy zoomed around our yard, burning off some energy. If she couldn't do that a couple of times a day, I can't imagine how we'd manage.

Is there somewhere Sisko can regularly run full-speed? It only takes a few minutes of that for Peggy to flop happily down in the grass. But if she didn't have that outlet.... I don't even like to think about it!

Super Moderator
my poodles are more self-serving than my goldens were
Yes. This. Their brains are wired so differently. The working breeds in our classes only have eyes for their humans. Meanwhile, Peggy seems able to watch everything and everyone at once.

My mini mix was solid off-leash, but it took a few years and we had a tight bond. She was much more into me than Peggy is, possibly because I was alone back then but Peggy's handled by both me and my husband.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking of you and Sisko today as Peggy zoomed around our yard, burning off some energy. If she couldn't do that a couple of times a day, I can't imagine how we'd manage.

Is there somewhere Sisko can regularly run full-speed? It only takes a few minutes of that for Peggy to flop happily down in the grass. But if she didn't have that outlet.... I don't even like to think about it!
There's the field in the apartment complex and a park, but only on his 30 ft lead. I have not checked to see if the dog park we go to is open yet, but that's the only place he could run full speed off leash at馃槩. There has been something else that kind of bothers me. Instead of running around he will just sniff around. Even when I bring a toy he still prefers to sniff around instead. The only time he doesn't is when I bring the flirt pole, but he seems tired after 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if he's okay.

Super Moderator
There's the field in the apartment complex and a park, but only on his 30 ft lead. I have not checked to see if the dog park we go to is open yet, but that's the only place he could run full speed off leash at馃槩. There has been something else that kind of bothers me. Instead of running around he will just sniff around. Even when I bring a toy he still prefers to sniff around instead. The only time he doesn't is when I bring the flirt pole, but he seems tired after 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if he's okay.
I think Peggy learned a lot of her energy-burning behaviours from the dogs she plays with. Plus, she's always had a yard to run in. Maybe Sisko just needs some practise. :)

Registered
Instead of running around he will just sniff around. Even when I bring a toy he still prefers to sniff around instead. The only time he doesn't is when I bring the flirt pole, but he seems tired after 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if he's okay.
A large chunk of dogs鈥 brains are dedicated to olfaction so this makes sense to me. Groot is the same. Once he鈥檚 done sniffing everything (anywhere from 10-45 min depending on where we are), he鈥檚 ready to play some fetch or chase with Snoop.

Super Moderator
A large chunk of dogs鈥 brains are dedicated to olfaction so this makes sense to me. Groot is the same. Once he鈥檚 done sniffing everything (anywhere from 10-45 min depending on where we are), he鈥檚 ready to play some fetch or chase with Snoop.
That totally makes sense. If it's a new place, or a place frequented by other dogs, that very important sniff could take a while!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts