Poodle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What an accomplishment indeed! Your parents must be so proud of you and your brother! I hope and aspire to be the kind of mom (like your mom) that was able to provide a safe and secure family environment to succeed life confidently!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I know my mom is very happy to see where we have gotten in life. My dad passed away a very long time ago. My older niece (now in college) was just a newborn. If there is one big thing I could change it would be to have had him here long enough to know his grandchildren well and for them to know him. I do believe his spirit watches over us.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Asta's Mom, my mother's road to becoming a librarian was, I think, very typical of women in her age range. She went to college, got a BA in English literature and a job (where she met my father). After about a year working, they got married and my mom got pregnant (with me) and stopped working outside our home. Once we were both in grade school, the woman who was the director of our town's library, hired her as a librarian assistant in the children's department. The library director and her husband were good friends of my parents. My mom was initially reluctant about the job, but took it with the promise that she would be able to leave at lunch time to be there for us (we walked home at lunch time) and that she would leave early enough to be home when we got home from school. Once my brother started middle school and now neither of us came home at lunch time and both had some after school activities she extended her hours.

By the time I started college my mom decided to go to library school and she graduated the same semester that I finished undergrad. She now was hired full time as a librarian in a different town, but eventually went back to our hometown library. She made really great friends there and still has lunch with a bunch of them about once a month.
Sounds like you had a very progressive household for that time period! So fortunate you were to be exposed to that.

How terrible for your childhood friend though- depression just permeates a household, and in the 60s there were no good treatments. I know this all too well. I loved my Dad, but he was terribly depressed for much of his life and it took a toll on all of us. He lost his job, lost his career- my Mom was the strong one. But he was a good man, and I was close to him in spite of the wall the depression created. One of my early childhood memories was my grandfather gathering up all the guns my Dad had hidden around the house so he could end it all. My grandfather insisted he be admitted to the hospital for everyone's safety. But my Mom refused, and he just kept spiraling down. However, in her defense- there were no good treatments then, and she was a smart woman- she knew that. Of course this story is way too long for this forum, but your childhood friend's tragedy brought me down this path.

But...funny thing ... in the few years before my Dad died, he all of a sudden was happy. It was like someone had flipped a switch. That was when Prozac came out, and he finally got the medication he needed. Unfortunately, he died of pancreatic cancer not long after that. We know so little about psychiatric conditions, and much less about how to treat them. They take a toll.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Carolinek I recall you mentioning recently somewhere that you will be 57 at your next birthday and I just turned 57, so we grew up in the same times. My dad was almost 11 years older than my mom (he was born in 1925), so he was a very progressive man for his age and times!

I am sorry your dad suffered so terribly with depression. Even now it can be so terribly vexing despite many choices of medications. A friend of my aunt's has suffered chronic depression so badly that she has tried to kill herself more than once. The last time she waited until her partner was away on a business trip and took pills. She fell on the floor in their kitchen. Their dog laid down on top of her with her leg folded under her and she ended up having an amputation. She is still depressed.

On a happier note I am hoping that you might have your own title announcements before too long for agility with your Lily.

Reactions: Carolinek

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yes, these years are creeping up! I think I was thirty like maybe- yesterday???!

Terrible for your aunt's friend. The Meds are better now for depression but it still can be tough to treat. And they're not without side effects.

Thank you for your sentiments about Lily. I enjoy reading about your accomplishments and will be happy if we just get through this first trial without zoomies. I missed the deadline for the last trial so we will be competing for the first time in October instead. Just as well, we do a lot of traveling in the summer, so this way she'll get some good practices in right before. She's as ready as she'll ever be! Like everything else with Miss Lily-
I'm sure it will be an adventure. Never a dull moment�� But I do love that crazy girl!

Reactions: lily cd re
21 - 25 of 25 Posts