Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Lily, not Javelin, not even Peeves, but my mom and her mpoo titled in Rally Advanced today. Yesterday they got an 84 and took the class (Advanced A). I stewarded for the trial today working for the judge who was doing rally. When I got there she told me to teach my mom a station she did wrong yesterday (which cost 10 points). So when they arrived I explained to her what to do (the same sign was in today's advanced course too) and they did it right and got a 95 and again took the class!

Hooray for mom and Wolfie, now I just have to teach her the excellent only signs before December.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
congratulations to your mom and wolfie. your mom is a feisty lady!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
YAY WOLFIE AND LILY'S MOM!!! You must be proud of your Mom!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Congratulations to you and your mom! It is indeed very special that you both share an interest in dogs. I know that you cherish this time you have with her.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My mom is very pleased and proud! She is a pretty neat person. She will be 81 early next year and runs a summer outdoor concert series in her town, plays bridge a couple of days a week and comes to my novice obedience class almost every week. There are times i can't find her because she is a real on the go person. In her working life outside our family she eventually was a librarian who brought an electronic catalog and internet facilities into our home town's public library. When my brother and I were in grade school and middle school if we came home for lunch she was there with it ready for us and she was at home when we came home.

The judge is the president of my obedience club and is a person who I know very well and have shown to myself more than once. She knows my mom as being my mom, so we had a bit of an inside scoop about what was wrong yesterday, but not really since she is very fair and explained to all of the people who asked what they had done wrong so they could fix it.

I should add that we didn't get to do anything together today since my mom left not long after her class ended and I was committed to table stewarding through the end of rally novice. We will try to do something next week.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Your mom is a wonderful role model - congratulations.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is definitely a poster model for the saying "use it or lose it."

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Asta's Mom, my mother's road to becoming a librarian was, I think, very typical of women in her age range. She went to college, got a BA in English literature and a job (where she met my father). After about a year working, they got married and my mom got pregnant (with me) and stopped working outside our home. Once we were both in grade school, the woman who was the director of our town's library, hired her as a librarian assistant in the children's department. The library director and her husband were good friends of my parents. My mom was initially reluctant about the job, but took it with the promise that she would be able to leave at lunch time to be there for us (we walked home at lunch time) and that she would leave early enough to be home when we got home from school. Once my brother started middle school and now neither of us came home at lunch time and both had some after school activities she extended her hours.

By the time I started college my mom decided to go to library school and she graduated the same semester that I finished undergrad. She now was hired full time as a librarian in a different town, but eventually went back to our hometown library. She made really great friends there and still has lunch with a bunch of them about once a month.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Many congratulations to your Mom and Wolfie. She sounds like an inspiring woman- little wonder she raised such a successful daughter!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carolinek when we were young in the 60s and early 70s (when my mom started her first library job) I can remember her having afternoon coffee with two of her friends who were the moms of two sets of kids on our block that we played with frequently. One had two daughters who we spent tons of time with and the other had a daughter a bit older and a son who was one of my brother's very close friends. I think that they must have been talking about wanting jobs outside their homes, because the mom who had the two girls went back to college and got a degree in education. Sadly the other, who I remember as being never very relaxed or happy, killed herself by CO poisoning in her car in their garage. It was her son who found her. For the next couple of years he ate breakfast and lunch with us before he and my brother went to the grade school.

My father and the father of the two girls both were always very supportive of the careers of their wives. I think my father would have done so even without the suicide, because he always had encouraged me to be whatever I wanted even long before that tragedy. However once my mom started library school he took over most of the cooking and the food shopping. He was a great cook, even if he had a devotion to peas that I didn't find endearing.

My brother also has had a great career. He worked his way to being a lieutenant in the NYPD. After 9/11 he was recruited into the Counterterrorism Strategic Planning Bureau of the department and did great things there. He earned two special promotions with the last one being assistant commissioner. He has since retired from the NYPD but continues to work in security and counterterrorism at a highly regarded firm in NYC.

My parents have both been fabulous accomplished people and I think both my brother and I properly credit them with being the foundations for our own success.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What an accomplishment indeed! Your parents must be so proud of you and your brother! I hope and aspire to be the kind of mom (like your mom) that was able to provide a safe and secure family environment to succeed life confidently!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts