Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. What brought you to Poodle Forum?

I came to this forum looking for answers. I was told Ren would not be able to keep his long fur even though his coat was line-brushed down to the skin daily and he was free of mats. I really did not want him to end up in the “one inch all over” doodle groom and wanted to figure out what I was doing wrong. Reading more on doodle coat care was getting me nowhere, but I remembered watching Siba on TV with her big coat and decided to search for “show poodle coat care,” which led me to finding the Poodle Forum.

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum?

Definitely the advice and the community. Everyone’s experiences and suggestions for dealing with different problems and situations has helped me as a first-time dog and “poodle” owner.

3. Do you use Poodle Forum primarily to:

a) Ask questions
This for sure!

b) Answer questions
A little bit, but usually I don’t know the answer either.

c) Share your poodley experiences
I’m a bit scare to share my poodley experiences since Ren is only ~50-70% poodle. I’m afraid this only applies to purebred poodles and do not want to upset anyone who is against doodles.

d) Read about the poodley experiences of others
Yes! I like reading about the funny or clever things others’ poodles are doing.

e) All of the above N/A

I like Happy'sDad's suggestion for more grooming product reviews; it would be great to have a whole section dedicated to reviews!

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
1. an 11 week poodle puppy. So much to learn - I really didn't know a thing about poodles at the time.
2. The community feel. And I love all my PF friends so much. Really like to welcome in new members. This is a special place.
3. All of the above

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts

Two almost 9 week old little boy miniature poodles, my first puppies in over 30 years! As others have said, no matter what I searched looking for help, PF was a constant. and personal experiences from poodle loving people, well, what's not to love?

I joined just so I could thank PF for the help.

The community feel that prevails now, love of poodles, love of learning, and hoping that something I have learned might be helpful to others. The vast majority of my work career has been to help people in one way or another. Retirement hasn't changed my hope to feel useful.

a) Ask questions
I have asked questions outright sometimes, more in my baby puppy days, and frequently search the history of PF to explore and go on tangent hunts. I've learned a lot about poodles and PF :).

b) Answer questions
See #2 :)

When I think they might be helpful if someone is looking for answers or support, when something has happened to me and my poodles that I might need support on, and when they might be funny if we're sharing laughs.

I love reading everyone's tales of the good times, and to just be there when times aren't so good.

e) All of the above
Oh yeah!

PTP, this is for you. It's the last line in the thread PBG wrote about you and Peggy Sue

"I hope she joins. I'd love to see the pup grow up."

We got our wish 🌠

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
As far as I recall after all these years I wanted some grooming advice for Poppy, after realising I was going to be clipping her myself for many years to come.

I like the atmosphere (although I too remember some of the rows years ago!), the peer pressure to keep things balanced and friendly, and the mostly excellent advice. It has been interesting to be part of things evolving over the years - when I first joined "dominance", Cesar Millan and pretty forceful training methods were popular and advocating force-free often felt like being a voice crying in the wilderness; now it feels mainstream. I feel I have connected to people all around the world through PF, finding support and kindness at difficult times, and sharing the joyful moments with people who understand how life can centre on dogs.

I don't do Facebook or much other social media, and limit forum membership to those where I feel a genuine sense of community around a common interest.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above
And for a puppy photo fix and other uplifting photos and experiences!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
What brought you to Poodle Forum?
I have two poodle mixes, one who is particularly poodley. I wanted to find out more about poodles. I recently bought a mini poodle and used the forum to learn how to do it safely. As many know, I am very pleased with the most recent addition to our family!

The conversations, the information, the friendliness. I enjoy that the forum is well moderated now and appreciate the moderators who nip potential hotbed topics in the bud.

e) All of the above

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
262 Posts
1. What brought me to Poodle Forum? I was researching breeds and trying to decide between a poodle and a Havanese. The information about finding a good breeder was invaluable. I am very happy with my choice of breed, breeder and puppy, and I owe a lot of it to what I have learned here from experienced poodle people.
2. What keeps me coming back? As my puppy grows up, I run into more challenges or have more questions. The first place I look for answers is the Poodle Forum. The friends and acquaintances I have made here keep me coming back. So do photos and anecdotes about life with poodles.The forum is well organized, too.
3. Do you use the Poodle Forum primarily to: All of the above.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
PTP, this is for you. It's the last line in the thread PBG wrote about you and Peggy Sue

"I hope she joins. I'd love to see the pup grow up."

We got our wish 🌠
Well that just made me cry! 🥰

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I adopted a dog from a rescue (listed as a toy poodle) with some behavioral issues. Immediately fell in love with her and was looking for some support and advice on training and grooming. Since I've joined, I have learned a lot more about the breed and also future breeders I might consider if I am ever in the position to get a poodle from an excellent breeder. I also enjoy looking at the pictures of the amazing poodles on this site and reading about their accomplishments.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Dogsavvy wrote it and I'm sure the rest of us felt it. Not long after, you officially joined and The Adventures of Peggy Sue and Her Peeps began :).
One of my favorite aspects of the Poodle Forum is Peggy Sue!!!!!!!!!
Aw! Group hug! :) Peggy and I both have gotten so much from this forum and its fabulous members.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A search to get the poodle I have dreamt of for 10 years landed me here. And when I finally got him, I registered an account to introduce him.

Email notifications. Just kidding 😆
I like to see how Whiskey compares to other poodles, especially standards since it’s hard to find one here locally.

a) Ask questions -definitely!! And I always get answers here based on the experience of others which is not what I can say about advice gotten from where I got Whiskey.
b) Answer questions -if I can, I try to help. What goes around, comes around :)
c) Share your poodley experiences -yes! If it’s helpful to fellow poodle owners!
d) Read about the poodley experiences of others -always! I am often curious what else is happening to the other poodles I have gotten to know on PF. I wonder who’s going on the next adventure and where.
e) All of the above -I guess 🤔

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking this morning:

Who gets the most out of Poodle Forum?

The simplest answer would be:

Those who stick around.

So how do we encourage new members to stick around? Some questions for you all, if you feel like sharing:

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above
1.Found this page incidentally while looking for answers to my poodle questions. We are 1st time puppy owners and have a red standard we adore.

2. I come back because PF is awesome and makes you feel part of a genuine community. The members are great and hospitable.

3. All of the above

·
Registered
Miniature Poos Mochi & Chuui
478 Posts
I was looking to learn as much as possible about poodles and find a good breeder. My husband had finally agreed to get a dog, but only a poodle, since he grew up with a standard and felt they were the best dogs ever. I had only had mutts, retrievers and huskies so had to convince and inform myself.
I like to see what new things I can learn, hear how other members and their pups are doing, see if there's anything exciting happening, and contribute to posts when I have the chance.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above
Honestly, all of the above, but since I've become so busy it's mostly d and b, and tiny bit of c these days

·
Registered
45 Posts
What brought me to the poodle forum?
As someone mentioned before me, it kept coming up in my internet searches, so it felt like the natural thing to do was to join

What keeps you coming back to the forum?
Honestly, as a newcomer to this particular forum, I’ve struggled to keep coming back. My particular experience has been different from those of you who have answered before me, I find a lot of judgment here that is upsetting to me. Over the many years of my life and pet ownership I have seen a lot of forums descend into elitist thinking, basically that their particular pet or breed of choice is extra special and no mere mortal should attempt to own a (fill in the blank). Unfortunately I have found that here too. I’ve seen in my short time here a couple of posts passing judgment on owners being unfit to have a dog based on extremely limited knowledge, and there doesn’t seem to be room for differing opinions here. That’s why I haven’t been coming back much. I have gone from raising cats and other animals and never wanting a dog to suddenly raising two standard poodles from puppyhood in the space of 4 years. My dogs are healthy and happy and so is my family so clearly mere mortals can do it. I believe that there are many ways to get this accomplished and even though it makes us humans uncomfortable to welcome different opinions, we need to. There’s a lot of work that goes into raising animals, and I’ve often wondered if the reason some try to make others feel as if they can’t do it is because they want their efforts to be validated continuously. As in “I’ve researched and worked and paid trainers to the nth degree and if you don’t do the same you aren’t going to be a good poodle owner.” I can’t with this attitude anymore, I just can’t. I’ve seen it with everything from hermit crabs to guinea pigs to cats to every breed of dog there is. I want to start seeing people support each other and empowering them to think that they can do it! I’m sure that’s happening here more than I know, but from the little I’ve seen, I just don’t really want to be in this space of the internet. That’s just my view, maybe it will help someone? Maybe it won’t, but here it is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We had settled on getting a poodle, so I was trying to find first-hand accounts of people's experiences with different breeders and PF came up repeatedly during this search. I really loved how candid, passionate, and open the members are in answering and asking questions, so I broke my own personal rule and joined a public forum. :)

The people and the poodles! I have benefitted so much from the collective experience and knowledge from this community and have continued to do so. It has also been very reassuring to see that other people share similar experiences ("Why does he keep peeing on his front paws?! ...Oh. It's a boy poodle thing. Does it ever get better?"). Finally, PF members are excellent storytellers and I love reading the poodley stories.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above
e. All of the above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking this morning:

Who gets the most out of Poodle Forum?

The simplest answer would be:

Those who stick around.

So how do we encourage new members to stick around? Some questions for you all, if you feel like sharing:

My little Java-J passed away on June 18th, just one day past his 18th birthday, and I was looking for breeder or poodle adoption lead.

I just subscribed.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above - E

·
Registered
295 Posts
What brought me to the poodle forum?
As someone mentioned before me, it kept coming up in my internet searches, so it felt like the natural thing to do was to join

What keeps you coming back to the forum?
Honestly, as a newcomer to this particular forum, I’ve struggled to keep coming back. My particular experience has been different from those of you who have answered before me, I find a lot of judgment here that is upsetting to me. Over the many years of my life and pet ownership I have seen a lot of forums descend into elitist thinking, basically that their particular pet or breed of choice is extra special and no mere mortal should attempt to own a (fill in the blank). Unfortunately I have found that here too. I’ve seen in my short time here a couple of posts passing judgment on owners being unfit to have a dog based on extremely limited knowledge, and there doesn’t seem to be room for differing opinions here. That’s why I haven’t been coming back much. I have gone from raising cats and other animals and never wanting a dog to suddenly raising two standard poodles from puppyhood in the space of 4 years. My dogs are healthy and happy and so is my family so clearly mere mortals can do it. I believe that there are many ways to get this accomplished and even though it makes us humans uncomfortable to welcome different opinions, we need to. There’s a lot of work that goes into raising animals, and I’ve often wondered if the reason some try to make others feel as if they can’t do it is because they want their efforts to be validated continuously. As in “I’ve researched and worked and paid trainers to the nth degree and if you don’t do the same you aren’t going to be a good poodle owner.” I can’t with this attitude anymore, I just can’t. I’ve seen it with everything from hermit crabs to guinea pigs to cats to every breed of dog there is. I want to start seeing people support each other and empowering them to think that they can do it! I’m sure that’s happening here more than I know, but from the little I’ve seen, I just don’t really want to be in this space of the internet. That’s just my view, maybe it will help someone? Maybe it won’t, but here it is.
I am so sorry and surprised that your experience has not been favorable. I am a first time poodle owner, have made many mistakes and feel that I have leaned on this forum too much for support and guidance. Everyone that has responded to me has always been caring, authentic, supportive, honest,encouraging and knowledgable. I rarely post replies as I don't think I have enough experience, but read frequently and have not seen the people here to be judgemental at all, quite the opposite.

I do think any pet owner that joins a breed specific forum is highly dedicated to their pet. Maybe that enthusiasm made you feel judged? I know most everyone in my close circle is tired of hearing about my Sammy! So, I post here.

If classes, dog sports etc. aren't your thing, than it's not and that's fine ( as long as your poodles are loved and cared for). When I was raising my kids I would never have been able to dedicate myself to,or had the desire, to care for a dog like I do now. Different life stages. I have adult children that love me,but my Sammy is my constant companion and I have alot of time, so maybe I go overboard, but I never judge anyone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I came to this forum looking for answers. I was told Ren would not be able to keep his long fur even though his coat was line-brushed down to the skin daily and he was free of mats. I really did not want him to end up in the “one inch all over” doodle groom and wanted to figure out what I was doing wrong. Reading more on doodle coat care was getting me nowhere, but I remembered watching Siba on TV with her big coat and decided to search for “show poodle coat care,” which led me to finding the Poodle Forum.

Definitely the advice and the community. Everyone’s experiences and suggestions for dealing with different problems and situations has helped me as a first-time dog and “poodle” owner.

a) Ask questions
This for sure!

b) Answer questions
A little bit, but usually I don’t know the answer either.

I’m a bit scare to share my poodley experiences since Ren is only ~50-70% poodle. I’m afraid this only applies to purebred poodles and do not want to upset anyone who is against doodles.

Yes! I like reading about the funny or clever things others’ poodles are doing.

e) All of the above N/A

I like Happy'sDad's suggestion for more grooming product reviews; it would be great to have a whole section dedicated to reviews!

·
Registered
7 Posts
1) I was preparing to get a standard poodle and looking on advice on how to evaluate a breeder.
2) I look for areas of interest, for example Standard poodles and water and swimming ages.
3 I look for answers and I enjoy hearing about people’s experiences. I’m not experienced enough to share advice on Standard poodles. I’m learning. However, I can advise on greyhounds!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts