·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking this morning:

Who gets the most out of Poodle Forum?

The simplest answer would be:

Those who stick around.

So how do we encourage new members to stick around? Some questions for you all, if you feel like sharing:

1. What brought you to Poodle Forum?

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum?

3. Do you use Poodle Forum primarily to:

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
c) Share your poodley experiences
d) Read about the poodley experiences of others
e) All of the above

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
My Poodles

Generally friendly folks and their poodles

a) Ask questions- Yep
b) Answer questions- Yep
c) Share your poodley experiences _ yep
d) Read about the poodley experiences of others_ yep
e) All of the above- yep

and lest we forget shore picture of our poodles

·
Registered
225 Posts
1. What brought me to Poodle Forum? I’ve been active her since July 2020. I started lurking about the same time Happy joined our family in June of the same year. PF was, and still is, a great place to get your questions answered by experienced Poodle parents and to participate in a community that’s passionate about their dogs. I imagine this is how most new Poodle parents start out. That said, after a year on PF the questions and answers can be a bit repetitive. I’ll move on to questions 2.

2. What keeps me coming back to Poodle Forum? I spend most of my time on PF in three areas: Poodle Talk, Grooming, Pictures and Health – in that order. I occasionally peek into other forums, but this is where my interest lie. I’m still learning and like to keep abreast of what’s going on with my favorite Poodles. Also, PF seems to be about the only place on the internet where folks of varied backgrounds can meet without it turning into a raging debate –I hope it remains that way.

3. Do you use Poodle Forum primarily to: e) All of the above

In response to your question on how to encourage new members to stick around, I suggest: continued constructive advice by senior members; there are never enough grooming product reviews; fun photo threads of Poodles looking good and doing Poodle stuff. Just my $.02…

·
Registered
557 Posts
It always came up when I was looking at different grooming styles.

The sense of community and wealth of knowledge of the forum members.

e) All of the above

·
Registered
889 Posts
1. What brought you to poodle forum?
Learning all things poodle as I lurked for over a year. Once I joined, continuing to learn about all things poodle but to also be a part of the community and have the ability to share back and forth, to get and give support and ideas and to share my pictures and look at everyone else’s pictures!😊 It’s my poodle social time, the only place I can go on and on about my poodle.😉

2. What keeps me coming back to Poodle Forum? Same as above. Love the community.
I really appreciate so much the kindness , caring, wisdom, the pictures and the stories on this forum. I’ve said this before… this forum is moderated so well. I always recommend this forum when I meet a poodle person in my community.

3. All of the above.

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
1. What brought you to Poodle Forum? I was preparing to purchase my first purebred standard poodle. I wanted to research breeders, poodle care, and the general experience of poodle ownership.

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum? I like the people.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above. This!

I was a member of several other forums and bulletin boards at the time I joined Poodle Forum. Each had its own social culture. One of the horse forums was lovely. People would offer advice, mentor new horse owners, warn about horse rescue scams, and tell funny stories. We had members ranging from home schooled teenagers to race track workers to famous clinicians. I'm still friend with some people from that board, even though the board itself is defunct.

I didn't actually feel very welcome on Poodle Forum when I first joined. There were a lot of battling breeder cliques, and some of them could be pretty savage. To this day I have never revealed Pogo's breeder's name, as she got so badly trashed here. I stopped posting at all for a few years. I didn't like getting drawn into the battles, and I felt myself a lesser person when I did. However, eventually I did return. To my surprise, it was a kinder, gentler Poodle Forum. Most of the really awful people had left, and some very helpful people had joined in my absence. The tone was much more like the horse board I had loved so much.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
362 Posts

I wanted a Doberman Pinscher, so I joined DobermanTalk. They had links to other forums owned by the same company (then VerticalScope) including this one, so I knew about it for several years before I made the decision to get a SPoo puppy. Once I knew I was getting a pup, I went ahead and joined.

Lots of things. I like learning about all things Poodle, especially grooming, since I need all the help I can get there.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above

All of the above. Simon is my first ever Poodle, and my first baby puppy in over 20 years. So while I know a lot of theory, I am limited in my practical experience with both Poodles and puppies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I plan to get a poodle and came looking for advice and to establish relationships for the future

Like minded people. We all LOVE dogs!

a) Ask questions;
yes
b) Answer questions
not really
Sad lack of experiences yet lol

Definitely
e) All of the above N/A

·
Registered
174 Posts
I joined after the loss of my 16 year old poodle. I was beginning my search for another poodle—and found the site helpful. Over the past few years, I have really appreciated the people and their poodle stories! I’m pretty obsessed with poodles—not everyone I meet on a daily basis understands that 😂. I really think it is neat to share poodle stories and advice with poodle owners. I have learned so much! I just get a kick out of all of us in our different locations—and we all share a common bond of being in awe of our poodles!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. What brought you to Poodle Forum? I was researching knowing that we were going to buy a poodle, and poodle forum came up while researching grooming needs and styles.

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum? Helpful information and friendly people.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above

All but answer questions really, I’m brand new to having a poodle so I don’t have many answers yet haha.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll join in!

A member recommended Poodle Forum to me. I lurked for a little while, learning as much as I possibly could about standard poodle puppies and checking in on the thread she’d started about puppy Peggy.

Inspired by @cowpony, I’ll be candid here: It was hard to read some of the things that were said about Peggy’s breeder. I’ve not gone back and looked at that thread with more seasoned eyes—I’m sure it would all read a little differently now, especially because I feel like I know you all and better understand where you’re coming from—but at the time it felt like some folks relished the chance to dissect everything about Peggy’s breeder, right down to her website design.

Not only did I squirm at the thought of an extremely kind, supportive, and well-intentioned breeder reading that stuff, I felt like I’d done something wrong. I’d tried really hard to make the “right” choice while puppy shopping, but still apparently I’d failed. I wasn’t sure if we’d even be welcomed here. If we were, I wasn’t sure if the stigma would haunt everything I shared about Peggy.

But my need for specialized advice won out over my fears. And I’m glad it did.

Despite my initial concerns, I quickly fell in love with the refreshing kindness that characterizes this forum. And the advice! Blessed advice! It guided me through my first year with Peggy. I’ll be forever grateful.

Poodle Forum is actually now my preferred place to spend my social media time. It’s fun chatting poodle minutiae! Plus, I log off happy instead of stressed or anxious or annoyed like I often feel after engaging on Facebook, etc. Not sure what it is about poodles, but they sure do attract some good humans.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I got my first poodle, my mom developed some serious allergies. I was desperate, I couldn't bring myself to even think about rehoming my Charlie. PF was the perfect place to ask for advice!

Experienced poodle owners with very useful and wise advices... AND beautiful furry faces!! :love:

3. I use Poodle Forum primarily to
a) Ask questions
I often do not feel confident enough to answer questions as I'm a new poodle owner and lack experiences. Plus, english is not my first langage.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,093 Posts
A 9 week old spoo puppy - hard to believe that was 11 years ago! Mia is my first dog who I raised alone from a puppy.

Poodle photos, poodle stories, and delightful poodle afficionadi. Frankly, it's nostalgic to read about puppyhood, training, adventures and misadventures, and the indomitable poodle spirit!

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above

And photos!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
1. What brought you to Poodle Forum? A Google search for a group of poodle owners

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum? 1) The pleasant tone and welcoming atmosphere. 2) Really helpful information. 3) Poodle pictures!

a) Ask questions.
b) Answer questions.
c) Share your poodley experiences.
e) All of the above. yes!

I appreciate that we've all tried to avoid discussing politics. My poodle doesn't vote and I need a break.
There have been times in the past when I've worried that new members have been driven away by those who have very strong opinions about breeding issues. Sometimes it's hard to be tactful about topics we're passionate about. It's good to see the mods step in and diffuse these situations.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
1. What brought you to Poodle Forum? suddenly inheriting Meisha and wanting to know what these exotic creatures need to thrive.

2. What makes you keep coming back to Poodle Forum? friendly answers to my questions, useful information, enjoying the poodle experiences of the community.

3. Do you use Poodle Forum primarily to: all of the above!

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,298 Posts
I had recently decided to get a dog. I was able to get on a list for a standard Poodle from a breeder nearby. I had some experience with forums and figured there must be a dog owners forum. I joined a dog forum and found it to be very restrictive, and it didn't allow any medical issue related talk at all. I wasn't having any fun there, so I needed to find another. Then I thought, "Hey! I wonder if there's a forum specifically for poodles". I searched and found poodle forum. I joined immediately to see what it was like.

1) Generally a enjoyable social experience with other dog owners, and more specifically, poodles. The atmosphere of the forum is uplifting. Sometimes I want to comment on certain things that I know will hurt somebody's feelings, and when this is the case, unless withholding the comment could lead to harm in some way, I refrain from making that comment. I feel that others here (most) do the same, and in doing this, it keeps a good social atmosphere. 2) I can ask questions about anything Poodle (or dog) and expect to get pretty prompt feedback from several people, each with their own experiences. 3) The forum is very active. When I'm relaxing for the evening, I can always count on PF to pass the time and absorb some new poodle knowledge!

a) Ask questions. Yes, of course. And generally I can expect answers right away!
b) Answer questions. That isn't really WHY I come here, but it is a good side effect. As I gain more experience I can provide more input.
c) Share your poodley experiences. Yes. Another side effect. It's fun to share! Pictures too!
d) Read about the poodley experiences of others. Yes. I love reading about all the poodley things!
e) All of the above. Yes, a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I had NO idea about Poodles, a breed change, a size change and as a retired librarian I am wired to research. I joined a couple of months before I got Buck, because every query I posted on Google lead me here for solid information. I do agree about the breeder partisanship. Buck’s Breeder has shown many times at Westminster and Crufts and a member comment zinged me about her. I didn’t engage. Otherwise this is a good group, timely crowdsourcing for everything I need to know. Awesome trainer advice, some, not enough, breeder input. Pictures! I stay here because I want to pay forward what I’ve learned with a companion poodle as a novice. PF People are also nice and engaged, so I do enjoy off topic:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I joined 9 months ago when I was trying to navigate the process of finding a good breeder in the middle of a pandemic.

Helpful advice, useful current and past discussion threads, civil and supportive tone from members, my newish adoration of all things poodle.

a) Ask questions (for sure!)
b) Answer questions (as I'm able, with the limitation of being a novice!)
c) Share your poodley experiences (yes, and photos!)
d) Read about the poodley experiences of others (yes, and view photos!)
e) All of the above

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think I first came to PF to learn about the best tools and techniques for grooming my family's poodles at home.

I enjoy reading about all the poodle shenanigans, the friendly community, and all the pictures of beautiful poodles.

a) Ask questions
b) Answer questions
e) All of the above😁

1 - 20 of 40 Posts