Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to a party with one of my friends. There was this woman with a little labradoodle puppy. She kept telling everyone how expensive the puppy was.
Sooooo.... being the activist I am... I asked her: "why would you pay that much money for a mutt... you could have gotten a really nice show dog for the same price"

Her reply was that she hates a the way a poodle looks and she doesn't like their personality?!?!?!?
The only thing I could think was that some people are real idiots!!!!
If it's a poodle mix isn't there at least 50% chance that it will either kinda look like a poodle or have a poodle's personality?.... REALLY LADY! :doh:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow... I totally agree. I've been meeting more and more "doodle" people and they're all just a little weird! They say the funniest things! Also, all the doodle's I've met look SO totally different, no one really knows what their dog is going to look like as an adult!! Why would anyone want that?! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Don't like a poodle personality but bought a dog that's a mixed poodle. Boy that's a smart thing to do.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So yesterday I went to a party with one of my friends. There was this woman with a little labradoodle puppy. She kept telling everyone how expensive the puppy was.
Sooooo.... being the activist I am... I asked her: "why would you pay that much money for a mutt... you could have gotten a really nice show dog for the same price"

Her reply was that she hates a the way a poodle looks and she doesn't like their personality?!?!?!?
The only thing I could think was that some people are real idiots!!!!
If it's a poodle mix isn't there at least 50% chance that it will either kinda look like a poodle or have a poodle's personality?.... REALLY LADY! :doh:

Haha Ponki - it's baffling isn't it? Sometimes, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt tho. I realize that yes, you are correct - people ARE idiots. There are alot of folks out there who really are not the sharpest tools in the box. So I keep my expectations low. I realize that there are many people out there who just don't know how to articulate their thoughts. Even with English as a first language, their command of it is extremely poor. Comprehension is at an all time low. It's sad, really.

So when this lady says she "doesn't like the way a poodle looks/personality" that could possibly translate to:

"I much prefer the outcome of the poodle x labrador. Personally speaking, I find the personality and appearance of the mix to be much more appealing compared with say, a pure-bred poodle."

Rather than clump all (labra)doodle lovers together as a bunch of weirdo/ dummies... I think it's much safer to say, as you have - SOME PEOPLE ARE REAL IDIOTS.

Their preference for the breed belongs to them... to each their own, right?

LOL :lol:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Nope, I think anyone willing to pay a lot of money for a mutt and then brag about their stupidity is an "idiot."

There are plenty of "doodles" in rescue, even puppies and it's not like rescuing a "doodle" is more risky than buying from a breeder. With purebred dogs, you can buy from a reputable breeder who health tests and pays attention to temperment and conformation. Good luck finding a "doodle" breeder that does that! Most "doodle" breeders use inferior breeding stock too so health testing is that much more important. As for the "I don't like the poodle look": my question is what is the "poodle look"? The target look for "doodles" seems to be what looks like an overweight, ungroomed poodle. Then there's the fact that "doodles" are a minimun of 50% Poodle (many are 75%). It makes no sense. I like Poodles, but not retrievers; I would never buy or even adopt a mix of the two.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nope, I think anyone willing to pay a lot of money for a mutt and then brag about their stupidity is an "idiot."

There are plenty of "doodles" in rescue, even puppies and it's not like rescuing a "doodle" is more risky than buying from a breeder. With purebred dogs, you can buy from a reputable breeder who health tests and pays attention to temperment and conformation. Good luck finding a "doodle" breeder that does that! Most "doodle" breeders use inferior breeding stock too so health testing is that much more important. As for the "I don't like the poodle look": my question is what is the "poodle look"? The target look for "doodles" seems to be what looks like an overweight, ungroomed poodle. Then there's the fact that "doodles" are a minimun of 50% Poodle (many are 75%). It makes no sense. I like Poodles, but not retrievers; I would never buy or even adopt a mix of the two.
Well said :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My thought’s exactly. If you "hated" poodles, what they look like, their personalities.... then why on earth would you even consider anything mixed with a poodle to begin with? And why on earth would you pay $2000 for a mutt???? That just baffled me :wacko:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

MTE and the inconsistency with a doodle is ridiculous. There are no two that look the same because you are mixing breeds and like you said most aren't using quality breeding dogs in order to achieve a desired look they are just breeding pups for bucks. They are ugly in my opinion. They look like an overgrown shaggy version of a poodle.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had a call from a person that had just had to put their Doodle down Due to Agression. Wow that was a new one for me.. i think that the whole doodle thing is a joke. If you want a retriever buy one . If you want a poodle buy one. if you want a Mutt go to the pound and rescue one. Simple as that .. How can there even be genetic tests for mutts?
There are no genetic markers in a mutt are there? It is scary to me that alot of poodle people either started out breeding doodles or it is their dirty little secret...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It is scary to me that alot of poodle people either started out breeding doodles or it is their dirty little secret...
Me too... It drives me nuts when poodle breeders on the one hand pretend they only breed pure poodles, then you do a little more searching and suddenly find they're in the doodle business.

Doodle puppies are cute (as are all puppies). IMO 95% of doodles when they are fully grown look like the sloppy and ill matched hybrids they are. They are also usually out of control because the owners have underestimated how much training they need. It's depressing to see how many come up in shelters between the ages of 1 and 3. :(

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Me too... It drives me nuts when poodle breeders on the one hand pretend they only breed pure poodles, then you do a little more searching and suddenly find they're in the doodle business.

Doodle puppies are cute (as are all puppies). IMO 95% of doodles when they are fully grown look like the sloppy and ill matched hybrids they are. They are also usually out of control because the owners have underestimated how much training they need. It's depressing to see how many come up in shelters between the ages of 1 and 3. :(
I know I understand that the shelters are full of them. Lots of health problems as well. I have been contacted by doodle breeders that are very indignent that I wont get on board with the devepment of this "NEW" breed HA! And the people that Lie about who they are is astounding.:doh:. I have given back several deposits after following up on references and or leads.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I wonder how the Golden people feel about Doodles?

We have SO MANY that come to the clinic, and they all seem out of control and hyper except ONE that I can think of off hand.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been contacted by doodle breeders that are very indignent that I wont get on board with the devepment of this "NEW" breed HA! And the people that Lie about who they are is astounding.:doh:. I have given back several deposits after following up on references and or leads.
Good for you bigredpoodle! I don't think any reputable breeder will ever even consider breeding mutts! And as you said... the shelters are full of them. No need to be breeding more.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What do you think makes them so hyper and out of control? I mean both of these breeds are pretty good breeds for training so mixing them makes them more energetic than a typical lab or poodle? I understand why they have health problems though. Most doodle breeders breed for money. There's no other way around it when they ask the outrageous prices they ask for a mixed breed dog. So most people that breed for money don't care a lick about genetic testing or what lines they get their breeding stock from they just breed them to sell them. I just want to know why they are so out of control just because you've mixed a poodle and a lab.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
People claim that mutts are healthier, however, impo, I think when you mix two purebreds, you're just breeding the health problems of both breeds into one dog. You never know exactly what the dogs going to look, whether it looks more like one parent or the other.

Being in the grooming business.. I don't know if this applies for other doodle clients, but our doodle clients are VERY VERY picky! They'll FREAK the heck out if their dog doesn't look like what they think they should look like. Okay, snoody clients, a poodle gets it's face shaved, a golden or lab doesn't grow hair on it's face, tell me how this dogs face is SUPPOSE to look.

I actually groomed a goldendoodle yesterday, and lucky his owners were basically all 'He's matted, do whatever to make him look good' and he was a good dog. But the others that come in.. if they call and I'm making the appointment, I don't book the dog with myself. ^^

And what I think makes the breed out of control is that people see this fluffy dog, and think it's a puppy forever. So they treat it like a puppy all the way until adulthood and neglect training and discipline.

Though after looking at all the doodles, aussiedoodles, labradoodles, goldendoodles, cockapoos... I think they generally all look the same. =/ Shaggy, ungroomed looking dogs with faces you can never get to look good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have fostered some of these mutts. They are all not hyper. In fact, one Lab/Poodle mix was about the calmest 10-month old I've ever been around. She was also a great beauty (in spite of her obvious mixed lineage) and is now learning to be a therapy dog.

Because I am often at the dog park with one of these mixes I usually get approached by their enthusiastic fans. I have a hard time not criticizing the goofballs who think they have some fabulous new breed and are only supporting a pretty rotten industry. But the dogs themselves can be fabulous pets given the proper socialization. In my state the numbers of these mixes found in shelters has been rising. Still nowhere close to the number of pitbulls that are abandoned every week.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
People claim that mutts are healthier, however, impo, I think when you mix two purebreds, you're just breeding the health problems of both breeds into one dog. You never know exactly what the dogs going to look, whether it looks more like one parent or the other.

Being in the grooming business.. I don't know if this applies for other doodle clients, but our doodle clients are VERY VERY picky! They'll FREAK the heck out if their dog doesn't look like what they think they should look like. Okay, snoody clients, a poodle gets it's face shaved, a golden or lab doesn't grow hair on it's face, tell me how this dogs face is SUPPOSE to look.

I actually groomed a goldendoodle yesterday, and lucky his owners were basically all 'He's matted, do whatever to make him look good' and he was a good dog. But the others that come in.. if they call and I'm making the appointment, I don't book the dog with myself. ^^

And what I think makes the breed out of control is that people see this fluffy dog, and think it's a puppy forever. So they treat it like a puppy all the way until adulthood and neglect training and discipline.

Though after looking at all the doodles, aussiedoodles, labradoodles, goldendoodles, cockapoos... I think they generally all look the same. =/ Shaggy, ungroomed looking dogs with faces you can never get to look good.
I love this claim that Mutts are healthier :doh:

There is no data collected on Mutts.... When the Labrodoodle goldendoodle and every other thing that is crossed with a poodle, can have a database then they can verify this claim till then it is bull...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
While I don't have a lot of experience w/ Goldens, I've never met a Lab that wasn't hyper. Maybe the show lines aren't too bad, but the rest of them are super energetic, especially as puppies and young adults. Combine that w/ an owner who isn't willing to educate themselves, and you aren't going to get a responsible pet owner, who will set limits for their dog or provide them w/ an outlet for all that energy. Doodle breeders are also notorious liars, so I'm sure they are telling people that "doodles are perfect pets, that housebreak themselves, don't need much exercise or any professional training and only need to be groomed once a year. You can find that last tidbit on many "doodle" breeder websites. I think that's why they are so hyper and out of control. People get them as status symbols and novelties and aren't willing to put the work into them.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I had a call from a person that had just had to put their Doodle down Due to Agression. Wow that was a new one for me.. i think that the whole doodle thing is a joke. If you want a retriever buy one . If you want a poodle buy one. if you want a Mutt go to the pound and rescue one. Simple as that .. How can there even be genetic tests for mutts?
There are no genetic markers in a mutt are there? It is scary to me that alot of poodle people either started out breeding doodles or it is their dirty little secret...
I wonder the same thing about testing. They would have to test for everything that affect both breeds (which would be more expensive) and even then, something could pop up. I've snooped on some "doodle" forums and HD is a big problem. I'm also curious about how many of them end up w/ cancer. I've heard Golden have a higher rate of cancer than any other breed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts