Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poodle has a "groomers" phobia. Although, I've been bringing him routinely ever since he was 2 months old. He's almost a year now and he still won't let the groomer use the clippers on his face.

When I watch him, he's normally calm through the cutting and clipping on his body but his whole head area in general is an issue. He just will not stay still.

I would really like for him to have his face and head shaved. It's turning into a mini afro. He still has all his puppy fur on top of his head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned poodles for the last 30 years. If your dog is sensing the wrong energy from this groomer that could be the problem. You might like to try another groomer and see if this helps. I also find that my dogs behave better when they're groomed if I am not around.

·
Registered
258 Posts
will he not stay still as in he is just wiggly or is he thrashing about? also what lengh is you groomer trying to use?

i agree with the above statement about the owner not being around, it does make a huge diff in the dog.

Will he not let them scissor either?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Its still not "time" for him apparently. I give puppies a lot of lee-way. Once they go thru their "I'm afraid of everything phase"...they can usually level off in their anxiety. I have never seen a standard still be afraid by 18 months. But some toys take longer. I also think that a light touch and a very quiet clipper with an assistant (not the owner) can calm the dog down. These are the kind of dogs I don't talk to...I don't say a word to THEM. They don't hear me anyway.....so I might talk to the other groomer, I might talk to MY DOG but I don't make eye contact and I don't say their name. I use calm-assertive energy just like good old Ceasar Milan.....You just calmly go about the groom as if nothing is wrong, even if the dog is hanging from the chandelier mentally!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He finally gave in after we chose a different. He moved around a little but we got what needed to be done done :)

Here's a pictures of what he looks like now.

His snouts a little rounded. Is that normal ?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think its cute and I LOVE LOVE that collar!

·
Registered
6 Posts
He looks great! I think his face is fine, it depends on the look you're going for...some people prefer short, others like it long, whatever you like. Love his name and his collar!
Glad everything worked out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He looks great considering his behavior. I always tell people that when they see a really well-groomed dog, that dog is VERY well mannered an is agreeable to having everything done. If you see a dog that looks a little choppy and un-even, its NOT always the groomers fault. How would YOUR hair look if you twisted and spun around and pooped and choked yourself? Do you think those bangs would look even? NO....so lower your expectations and move on to the fun things in poodle-ville....like playing with toys!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts