Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my Poos from age six to eighteen.Get a load of the way I am holding that poordogs tail in the fgirst photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Love these old photos Arreau....My favorite is the Christmas one, who is playing the little organ in the background? How wonderful it must be to have all your memories of poodles for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Alicia. It has been quite a ride, having Spoos in my life all the way. You are pretty observant. We had Christmas at my Grandma and Grandpa's home every year (they just lived up the street) and they had bought the organ for us kids and for them. My father was a country entertainer so we were all into music.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Some good thing's never change! Very nice pictures. They are lovely.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thank you Spoofly. They are funny aren't they???
They are indeed... but so wonderful! I so enjoy seeing your photos.
Again, look at those nice thick coats... I can't help but think how much more difficult their work was, caring for them, as I'm sure they didn't have as many helpful products and equiptment/tools we have today.

Would love to see an old dryer photo! :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are indeed... but so wonderful! I so enjoy seeing your photos.
Again, look at those nice thick coats... I can't help but think how much more difficult their work was, caring for them, as I'm sure they didn't have as many helpful products and equiptment/tools we have today.

Would love to see an old dryer photo! :)
Thanks Karen. I will keep my eye out for any old grooming photos. Honestly, the old dryers are pretty much the same as the newer stand dryers they sell now. We used to have an old stand dryer called a Bonat, and it looked much like the ones in the catalogues. They are so unlike the high velocity dryers. More like a super powerful human hair dryer with added heat. and I got two nasty burns from the metal arms on those things. They would get so hot you didn't dare touch them. As I get through the old photos I will pull out any shwoing older equipment.

Those coats were something else. With the old stand dryers, a show coat took anywhere from four to six hours to dry.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Arreau I love all the old pics. How much fun are they. Its amazing to see how you have grown constantly surrounded be poodles. How wonderful is that

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arreau I love all the old pics. How much fun are they. Its amazing to see how you have grown constantly surrounded be poodles. How wonderful is that
Pretty special and wonderful. no matter what was going on, there were Spoos by my side. Did you notice how I have that poor soul by the tail??

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Pretty special and wonderful. no matter what was going on, there were Spoos by my side. Did you notice how I have that poor soul by the tail??
Yes I noticed it made me think of how my own kids hold our dogs tails from time to time. Maybe they have a lifetime of poodles ahead of them like you did and have. My oldest is already thinking of it and has talked about when he grows up how he wants to have one of Betty Jo's or Jenny's puppies or grandpuppies as the case may be.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I hope one day that goal comes to fruition. He is amazing with dogs
and puppies, and I can certainly see him getting into this and for the right reasons.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much. It was a blessing to be surrounded by these gorgeous furkids back as far as I can remember, because it set my course in life.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What wonderful photo's, did you have to help with the care/grooming of mom's Spoo's? In the summer (when I am crazy at work), I will often ask the kids 20, 22 and 23) for help with baths..........it is like pulling teeth.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What wonderful photo's, did you have to help with the care/grooming of mom's Spoo's? In the summer (when I am crazy at work), I will often ask the kids 20, 22 and 23) for help with baths..........it is like pulling teeth.
Thanks so much.Yes. I began helping my Mom with the care pretty much from the get go...feeding and watering, brushing ( as well as a little kid can). My interest in the dogs grew, and by the time I was twelve, Mom would let me bath and clip feet (not on the show dogs). By sixteen, I could put a continental into rough pattern, but no major scissoring. And by nineteen, I opened my own grooming salon in Toronto and did nearly all of the grooming of our own dogs. I began showing in Junior Showmanship at about eight or nine, and if something happened that two of our dogs had to go in for a class, I got to show one or the other if needed. I loved every aspect of it, particularly when we had puppies in the house, and it just became part of who I am.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts