Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a plastic airline crate that works well at home (32 x 20 x 24). However, for short trips we would like something a little easier to travel with. We have a small car which is another consideration.

Does anyone have experience with soft sided crates? Any recommendations for which one? My concern with the wire ones are the weight. Looking for something easy to break down & not too heavy (or expensive) but sturdy enough.

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The first crate I had for TQ was a soft sided crate (not one of those pop-up ones). I really enjoyed having it, and TQ enjoyed that it was cave-like. However, HUGE drawback was that TQ was able to rip the "door" netting. Once it ripped... it ripped, and there was no fixing it. I eventually had to trash the entire crate because of this, which I feel was a waste of money.

I bit the bullet and bought a wire crate. And I'm pretty sure there is no car smaller than mine, and thankfully her crate still fits in there folded up. It takes some maneuvering, but it fits!

·
Registered
593 Posts
They are fine if you don't have a scratcher..My lab is fine in one..One of my cavs can have the zipper open in under 5 minutes..if I lock the zipper he can scratch through the mesh door in about 15 minutes..he has ruined more than one soft crate.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I recently got a folding one for my two, and it is brilliant. My dogs are not great scratchers or chewers, and I have positioned the crate so that the open door is against the door of the car, and usually keep the mesh door of the crate rolled up that side. If I am travelling anywhere where it could be dangerous if they broke their "Wait" and jumped out before I have their leads on, I can zip it up. They took to it very quickly, it keeps them safe, and it is also light enough (and portable enough) to use as a waiting crate for agility, shows, etc. I had great difficulty finding one to attach to a car seat belt, though - which would seem a sensible design element. The one I have has carry handles, and I have secured it by hooking one over the head rest on the back seat.

One drawback - I have seen MANY of these for sale on eBay, originally bought for large dogs, whose owners then found the crate would not fit in their car!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I bought a large (dark green) Pet Gear crate when Dexter was a puppy. I have a Honda Accord and it fits either in the trunk or on the floor behind the front seats, with something wedged to keep it from leaning into the back seat. I used it left open as a hang-out crate for him in the house when he was younger, and use it now at obedience trials. I am a klutz with a bad back, but find it pretty easy to lug around and put up and down. It is very sturdy for its weight.

As other posters have noted, the zippers/mesh are the weak spots. If your dog paws at the zippers even once, the zipper can be wonky for life. I crated him once as a pup at my MIL's and he pawed at the door. I can work that zipper now, but it has never been the same.

This is the model I have:

Pet Gear Home 'N Go Portable Soft Crate - Crates - Crates & Kennels - PetSmart

Attachments

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm also interested in this, as I need something light enough to take over to friend's houses on the TTC (I don't have a car). Vibrant, is yours pretty light to carry for a while? And did it smell at all of plastic or anything? Some of the reviews I have read of various soft crates talk about a strong odour.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I don't need it for the car as we will be using the Champion car harness.

However, when we are overnight elsewhere we would like her in a crate to sleep (in our bedroom). Also, we would need to leave her for a few hours in the crate at other houses. Just trying to make sure problems don't arise when she is in unfamilar places.

We aren't sure whether she would chew or not. The pluses of the soft sided ones are they are so much lighter. Thoughts on the pros & cons of soft sided vs wire?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Katy has one of the soft/mesh crates that she keeps in her trunk in case she ever needs one when she's out and about with Meau. It is super light, easy to set up and fold down, but does not have the durability of the wire crates.

When we traveled to Canada last month, we brought a folded wire crate for Lucy to use when necessary. We only used it a few times during our trip but it was always when we were actually absent from the home where we were staying - If it would've been a soft/mesh crate, I wouldn't have been as comfortable leaving her alone in it as I was with the wire one. The wire crates are much heavier, but still easy to pop up or fold down (IMO) and they will contain your dog more reliably than a soft/mesh.

I guess if I knew I was going to be able to supervise and would not be leaving my dog completely alone in a soft crate, I'd be OK with it. If I knew I would be leaving the location, I'd insist on a wire or plastic crate to contain my pup! (I own at least 6 wire crates in varying sizes and I only have 3 dogs!!) :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have had different soft crates over the years and so far, the Noz to Noz is my favorite - more sturdy and quick to set up. Plus, if the fabric gets torn, you can buy a replacement cover without buying a whole new kennel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm also interested in this, as I need something light enough to take over to friend's houses on the TTC (I don't have a car). Vibrant, is yours pretty light to carry for a while? And did it smell at all of plastic or anything? Some of the reviews I have read of various soft crates talk about a strong odour.
Yes, it's very lightweight, and you'd be looking at a smaller size than I have. I can't say I've noticed an odour, but it's quite possible there was one when it was newer. It never seemed to bother the dogs!
I don't think there's anywhere in Ontario that sells them. I got mine in the US.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have the Petmate version of the Noz to Noz (same parent company, essentially mine is the cheaper, more basic version of the nice Noz ones) and I do like it. I use it for my retired service dog so pawing or chewing isn't a problem. She did figure out how to unzip it so I have to make sure I lock it. I do plan to upgrade to the Noz to Noz eventually, I just didn't have the money when we bought this one.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I did notice a slight chemical odor when I took mine out of the box, but I just set it up and let it air out for a couple days and it's fine now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts