Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned one of Peggy's littermates was diagnosed with this very rare condition and has since had two surgeries. I can't seem to find much information online, but would really like to know if it's genetic. Peggy hasn't shown any symptoms, but the breeder is planning another litter next summer.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
That sounds potentially very bad. I hope Peggy doesn't have it. If you haven't noticed any of the signs mentioned, she may well be in the clear. But since you know that one of her litter mates has it, it should definitely be brought to the attention of the breeder. If she's responsible and has integrity, she won't do a repeat breeding of those dogs. It's anyone's place to inform a breeder of something she may not be aware of and that could cause much suffering of future dogs and their owners. I would definitely tell her what you have found out, adding that you thought she'd like to know so she would not breed those dogs that seem to be passing this on genetically.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, PB. The breeder is aware of it. Not sure if she paid vet bills, etc. but she was so supportive when we had concerns about Peggy, I wouldn't be surprised if she helped out. But....her website still says another litter is coming summer 2020. Maybe I'll reach out and ask for some information about the condition to get the conversation started.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am currently disgusted with the lack of integrity that's going on in spoo breeding, so I'm doubtful this breeder will not breed the dogs again, but I'm praying she doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am currently disgusted with the lack of integrity that's going on in spoo breeding, so I'm doubtful this breeder will not breed the dogs again, but I'm praying she doesn't.
Me, too. I've learned a lot in a short time, and a lot of it's discouraging. The internet makes it so easy to reach potential customers. Then again, it also gives us a place to "out" unscrupulous folks.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I hope it’s not genetically based, makes me sad she is breeding the same dogs. I hope this disease doesn’t affect the other puppies.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
PeggytheParti, Yes I agree..knowing several have it in the earlier litter should be a strong indicator not to have the same pairing. It could be on one side or the other so using a different stud may be an option.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PeggytheParti, Yes I agree..knowing several have it in the earlier litter should be a strong indicator not to have the same pairing. It could be on one side or the other so using a different stud may be an option.
Only one puppy from the litter has it, as far as I know. And the owner tells me it's only the 7th documented case, ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts