Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know recently the we talked about what type of dog food as well as the economy and so on.

Although i feel as though I spend much less by using higher quality food (they eat much less) I have a tough time some mornings getting them to eat. Some morinings can take almost an hour just to get them to eat! I have all toys pulled up, I sit down with them and "coach" them to eat a decent portion.

So my question would be do you feed just soft or just hard OR both?

Getting off to work on time is a must, if I feed them some soft mixture I am certain they will eat quickly. BUT the prices on some are pretty high. I have used cesar and also eukinuba soft. Any suggestions on the eating and maybe some cost cutting ideas.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think for a canned food I like the Kibbles-N-Bits. I know I know don't fish me but for a little added flavor I like it and it does have real veggies in it and its not that expensive.

I don't feed canned to all the dogs, I have been feeding it to my dog Clover as she has started to loose weight and I had a bunch of coupons for Pedigree and she likes it.

As for not eating in the mornings, how much are they fed at night/evening? They not be hungry in the morning due to the meal in the evening so I would skip the morning meal and see about an afternoon meal if you can. If not do the evening meal a bit earlier.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just the hard foods. I do agree that a higher quality food lasts longer because you don't feed as much and they aren't constantly hungry. We switched from Natural Balance to Wellness Core because I felt that their bowel movements were too large on Natural Balance.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I know recently the we talked about what type of dog food as well as the economy and so on.

Although i feel as though I spend much less by using higher quality food (they eat much less) I have a tough time some mornings getting them to eat. Some morinings can take almost an hour just to get them to eat! I have all toys pulled up, I sit down with them and "coach" them to eat a decent portion.

So my question would be do you feed just soft or just hard OR both?

Getting off to work on time is a must, if I feed them some soft mixture I am certain they will eat quickly. BUT the prices on some are pretty high. I have used cesar and also eukinuba soft. Any suggestions on the eating and maybe some cost cutting ideas.
I feed a mix of things to my guys. For breakfast, my spoos get kibble mixed with either raw or home cooked. I don't feed canned, as I find that my home cooked or raw is much better and less expensive (good quality canned is really pricey). My 12.5 lb Havanese gets all home cooked or raw for breakfast. For dinner everyone gets raw meaty bones.

Now, what kind of food do you feed your guys? It should not take an hour to feed your dog. Decide what you want to feed (kibble, canned or mix), put the food out for 15 to 20 minutes and let them do what they will. After that, pick up the food and go to work. When you come home, offer them the food for dinner. I promise you, they will learn and no dog will starve itself when there is food available. When they are hungry, they will eat.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feed all of them Eukinuba kibble. I have not used the soft that often and purchased Eukinuba as well when I mixed them.

We feed them around 7am & 5:30pm-6pm daily.

I usualy do the food for 30 minutes, maybe I need to pull it after 15 minutes. It is tough in the AM.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I agree with not "coaching" them to eat. Do some tough love, and pick the food up after a certain amount of time (set a timer in the morning). They will learn to eat what is offered very quickly. If you want to add something less expensive then you can put some hot water on the food. It will bring out the flavor, and most dogs really like it. Adding a little broth or those flavor cubes (boion???) are ok too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cassy hates eating so what my cousins tried was, when you cook chicken or turkey or any animal with fat that becoms liquid quickly you can take the fat, freeze it and put a little in the food. Because the slow cooking there is ALOT of flavor in a very small amount of the fat.

But really I think what makes a good food is whats in it. I'm no expert but I would avoid foods with corn that do not cut back on sugar. Corn essentially is sugar so unless the food cuts back on other food sources I would disaprove. Furthermore fructose, sucrose, and sorbital are only digested in the liver, if there is alot of corn in the food thats alot of work for the liver. The left over sugar is converted into adipose tissue.

I was always was under the impression that soft food was better for the teeth though, since hard food can coagulate on the rim of gums and decay, but it really depends on the brand, some are made to not have that property and some are even designed to clean the teeth. I would assume that soft food is more natural for them to eat though.

Again this is all hypothisis and theory, I am not stating any of this as fact.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The coaching could be the problem. Bailey hate's to be watched when he's eating. He also doesn't like kibble, but he eats it if he's hungry. Being the weirdo he is, he'd rather eat out of Harley's bowl. Have you thought about soaking the food in some warm water? It really helps with Bailey. I know it's not great for their teeth, but I brush his teeth several times a week. I also feed a little bit of canned and some "people food" too. I don't mix it b/c Bailey is an expert on picking out the good stuff and spitting out the kibble.

I know you didn't ask, but just like with kibble, you get what you pay for w/ canned food. Many of the cheaper brands are mostly water and filler. I've been feeding Bailey Nature's Recipe venison and rice. He really likes it. One can last about 3 days.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is Eukinuba considered not good dog food? The ratings are pretty high.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So is Eukinuba considered not good dog food? The ratings are pretty high.
Please take a look at this site:

http://http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ Click on reviews.

Eukanuba is only a 2 star food. It's full of fillers. I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild (TOTW) Pacific Stream to my lab and boxer, and Innova Puppy to Fonzie. Both of them are 5 star foods. The six star foods tend to be very pricey and too rich for my dogs' stomachs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was using Eukanuba with my guys as that was what the breeder used-then I noticed the rating were rather mediocre...I am now feeding Blue...mix a bit of yogurt in the mornings and some canned in the evenings. But these poodles are not hungry right away-it seems like they need to play and exercise for about 30 minutes before they go to eating. Even then, Levi just picks at his. But he is over a year now-the 6 month old eats his in the morning. So if you can walk them or let them run in the yard for a bit?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts

Eukanuba is only a 2 star food. It's full of fillers. I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild (TOTW) Pacific Stream to my lab and boxer, and Innova Puppy to Fonzie. Both of them are 5 star foods. The six star foods tend to be very pricey and too rich for my dogs' stomachs.
Hey do you have issues with your dogs smelling a little fishy on this food. I tried it several months ago and noticed the fishy smell Saleen had right away. I could have handled it if just her breath was a little fishy but it was actualy her skin that started to take on an odor. I took her off of it after just one big bag. I tried one of the other formulas but didn't notice any great changes in Saleen so I put her back on the Blue and have reccently switchd from Blue to chicken soup.

As for the couching the dogs to eat, you'd be wise to stop that. Wonder used to be a really picky eater and she seemed skinny all the time. I have always been of the opinion that they'll eat when they are hungry but while I lived at home my mother do jump through hoops to try and get her to eat in spite of my objections. It was a real pain!! When I got married two years ago and moved out on my own Wonder lost about a pound 1/2 before she figured out that the new rule was eat or go hungry. Now she weighs more than she ever has lol. She sucks down half a cup of food every evening lol and rarely misses a meal. My routine at home goes something like make food for spoos and put them in kennel to eat, put tibby food down, check e-mail or phone messages let spoos out to potty. Takes about 20 minutes since I try and keep the big dogs confined for 20-30 minutes right after a meal. If the tibbies haven't eaten I take their food away and they can try again tomarrow. I also don't give dog treats hardly ever. Only during training usualy. I've noticed that helps.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My biggest issue with brands like Eukanuba and Science Diet is that they cost so much more than say plain pedigree or purina, but they aren't much better. (I honestly think the SD is worse.) You can feed a much better quality food for the same exact price and probably get more for your money.

I didn't mean to turn this into a food discussion, but I noticed Ceasar and Pedigree were mentioned and neither are good foods. (I've fed pedigree in the pouch, but just to give meds, not as a regular diet.) I haven't fed or even looked into Eukanuba canned. I used to feed my dogs Eukanuba (kibble) years ago and wasn't impressed with it. JMO

It's really hard to know what to feed. Most vets know nothing about nutrition. (Why else would the recommend SD?) The companies straight up lie. (I was recently looking at the Alpo site and they claim their food is 100% healthy and balanced!) I was feeding Nutro Natural, but switched to the Tractor Supply version of it before yet another Nutro recall. I'm not that happy w/ it, so I'm looking for something else. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to have it shipped in. My cats eat TotW and I'm not that happy w/ it for them, but I may still give a shot w/ the dogs. I've also been looking into raw, which I think is best, but it looks like a lot of work. If there were a butcher in my town or even more variety at the grocery store, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I switched to Innova large breed puppy from Science Diet after reading the posts on this forum. I get different brands of canned food to put in her kong but my husband said today that he puts about a tablespoon in her food in the morning to get her to eat. We're going to stop so she doesn't get into the habit of needing canned food to eat. I use whatever leftovers we have for treats with training. I agree that if they're hungry, they'll eat.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I just gotta warn you, don't be like most people and treat that website like the holy grail. The person is neither a dog nutritionist nor a vet. And yes I know that vets take like at most 4 credit hours of nutrition so they arnt much experts either.. But I am saying what she says about the food is opinion. While it is certainly logical opinion and backed up with some fact it is still opinion, she has no credentials to make it anything else.

Before you condone a food because of a rating research each ingredient. And don't make an opinion until you have at least read one primary peer reviewed source. Aka a scientific report that has an abstract, intro, procedures of experiments ect ect. Science reports are the only way you wont get bias in your research.

Im not saying I am an expert either, but I have done enough research to make my own opinions on the matter. which I already stated, so long as sugar content is lowered in leu of adding corn it should be fine because the indigestible parts are either ground up allowing the body to digest the starchy endosperm and pass the shell, or the shell of the seed is completely removed. I would never feed a dog something with corn meal in it though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wish people would go to that one instead.
When your doc tells you to take a medication or get a surgery, you gotta do your research, not just google it but make sure the sources are credible. I mean its your body at stake, I think when you own a dog you owe that animal the same research in everything including his diet.

Not saying that Dogfoodproject is bad, I would actually count that as a credible source since she is a canine neutritionalist. But I would like to see people get a basis from her and still further their conclusion with even more research. I mean doctors dont even agree on things lol.

Note again, I am not down talking Sabine, I am just trying to make a point that even one vet, or one neutritionalist should not be the crux for your opinion. It should only be the basis, the foundation for it and you should have other information you found along with personal experience to build onto that base.

Thanks for posting that link poodle lover ;d

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just gotta warn you, don't be like most people and treat that website like the holy grail. The person is neither a dog nutritionist nor a vet. And yes I know that vets take like at most 4 credit hours of nutrition so they arnt much experts either.. But I am saying what she says about the food is opinion. While it is certainly logical opinion and backed up with some fact it is still opinion, she has no credentials to make it anything else.

Before you condone a food because of a rating research each ingredient. And don't make an opinion until you have at least read one primary peer reviewed source. Aka a scientific report that has an abstract, intro, procedures of experiments ect ect. Science reports are the only way you wont get bias in your research.

Im not saying I am an expert either, but I have done enough research to make my own opinions on the matter. which I already stated, so long as sugar content is lowered in leu of adding corn it should be fine because the indigestible parts are either ground up allowing the body to digest the starchy endosperm and pass the shell, or the shell of the seed is completely removed. I would never feed a dog something with corn meal in it though.
Ouch! I don't treat the site I mentioned in my post as the "holy grail". I do appreciate the fact that each food's content is listed, and the reason for its rating is given. Notice I didn't push the 6-star foods. In fact, I've fed Chicken Soup in the past, which is only rated 4 stars, but is really a pretty good food. Costco's dog food (Kirkland's ?) is also considered pretty decent by people who are on a budget, and it rates even lower. I've had dogs all of my life, and only through research within the past 2 years (not just on the above-mentioned site) have I learned that most of the food I used to feed isn't worth much. I'm still learning. There's also a list of recommended foods listed in (I think) Dog Journal that's supposed to be pretty good.

Every dog is different and will do better on some foods than others, as everyone already knows. My boxer, and also Fonzie, for that matter, won't eat some of the "top" rated foods, or they make them sick (esp. my boxer, who had a severe case of Pancreatitis before I adopted him). The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine; that's all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I never said you were taking it like the holy grail, I said most people do. I'm just warning you to do research before making an opinion or believing what a website says

1 - 20 of 25 Posts