Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I live in a really small town, and I need to socialize my puppy. I found a couple puppy classes, but, they are all closed/canceled because of COVID-19 and the state's restrictions. Any tips on socializing a puppy (especially during COVID-19)?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,783 Posts
Here's a good place to start:

I would also start working through an online course like this one:

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a good place to start:

I would also start working through an online course like this one:

thanks!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
So, I live in a really small town, and I need to socialize my puppy. I found a couple puppy classes, but, they are all closed/canceled because of COVID-19 and the state's restrictions. Any tips on socializing a puppy (especially during COVID-19)?
There are some great lists on things to expose puppies to. I'm sure if you search for puppy socialization checklist you will find them. It is about environmental socialization as much as with people and dogs. In particular I would think about different noises, surfaces (especially height and unstable surface), yard equipment, big trucks and busses, elevators, etc. If you have a friend with a well behaved fully vaccinated dog it is safe to introduce them. People watching at a distance outside is good. And some trustworthy friends can handle the pup outside.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just took my puppy out for walks in all kinds of places. I let her meet all kinds of people and dogs that were vaccinated. She is very friendly and super social now. Almost too social and friendly. She is afraid of small children because of their voices but she's very nice to babies until they cry of course lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I actually posted on my neighborhood FB website asking for people with vaccinated pup-friendly dogs who’d be interested in masked-up fenced-yard play dates. We have had one unsuccessful play date with a five month old chiweenie who was petrified, but the rest (a mixture of hound mutts, Golden labs and doodles) have gone really well. The doodles seem to have the most compatible playing styles (bouncy, paws up).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts