Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this can be a sticky subject, but I really am just curious.

I contemplated a raw diet for about 15 seconds, I know I'm too OCD with my house to do it.

I am slowly mixing Flip off of some brand called American Natural Premium (or something similar) from Fromm onto Royal Canin (the digestive/skin) Puppy.

What do you feed and why?

I am also a big believer in bottled water. Before you scoff, I've been doing it for years with our Cavalier and he never has runny/gunky/sticky eyes.

:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Taxtell - My breeder had Snoops on Royal Canin and I switched him over to Halo.. didn't agree with him so switched him over to Wellness Core Chicken. He loves it! Every once in awhile I boil him some free range chicken and give it to him in his food as a treat.

I liked the ingredients in Wellness.. I recognize all of the ingredients and know what it all means! No weird long chemical names... They say Wellness is as close to raw as you can get. Who knows if that is some tricky marketing ploy. I liked that the protein % wasn't too high as well, but moderate.

I also give Snoops bottled water. Some say to add a bit of vinegar to the water to help with the eye gook. I don't do this, but some people swear by it..

·
Registered
62 Posts
well we have used everything from Eukanuba (Sp?) to Dad's....he really likes the Little Bites from Pedigree though. We got a free sample of it from Sam's Club a couple weeks ago and we actually used it to train him more on obedience, but when we get done with this bag of food we're going to put him strictly on that. I think that really is helpful, it makes his coat super soft and shiny and he's got TONS of energy after we train him. He devours it like nobody's business too...it's awesome.

And although we don't use bottled water, we use filtered water from our refrigerator, it definitely helps to keep him from having yuck eyes (as we call them) and it seems to help with his potty time, his piddle doesn't have a strong smell...

:cow:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My pup (whenever I get him) will eat raw. My mom already preps raw for her dogs, so it will be easy for her to add a little more for a mini poodle! He'll be eating it in the bath tub, since I live in a condo. :)

When we do occasionally feed kibble, we feed those without grains or white potatoes too high up the ingredient list. We also switch it up every time, so that they get different sorts of nutrients (fish, beef, chicken, etc). It doesn't really make sense to me to always feed your dog the same brand and type of food, as different meats and veg give different nutrients.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My pup (whenever I get him) will eat raw. My mom already preps raw for her dogs, so it will be easy for her to add a little more for a mini poodle! He'll be eating it in the bath tub, since I live in a condo. :)

We feed our dogs in the bathroom too, my parents who use to feed outdoors were having too many issues with the magpies and crows knowing when dinner time was and picking on the dogs! haha (think 3 magpies dragging a rotti's food away from him, I'll have to find the pictures!) anyway I've started suggesting this to everyone I meet who feeds raw its a heck of a lot easier to feed in the tub than in a crate or on a mat(the clean up part), bonus the tub isnt a scary place anymore! lol

·
Premium Member
379 Posts

When we do occasionally feed kibble, we feed those without grains or white potatoes too high up the ingredient list. We also switch it up every time, so that they get different sorts of nutrients (fish, beef, chicken, etc). It doesn't really make sense to me to always feed your dog the same brand and type of food, as different meats and veg give different nutrients.
I feel the same Cdnjennga, raw food and in the morning (breakfast rush :) ) some good quality kibble - didn't decide which one yet.
The water I'm planing to use is RO/DI filtered water, since I'm using that for my reef tank and for me too :) , I hope this is acceptable for puppies too.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
We feed our dogs in the bathroom too, my parents who use to feed outdoors were having too many issues with the magpies and crows knowing when dinner time was and picking on the dogs! haha (think 3 magpies dragging a rotti's food away from him, I'll have to find the pictures!) anyway I've started suggesting this to everyone I meet who feeds raw its a heck of a lot easier to feed in the tub than in a crate or on a mat(the clean up part), bonus the tub isnt a scary place anymore! lol
Haha, that's too funny! Please do find the pics, although I'm not even sure they could be as funny as what I have pictured...

Yeah, my mom feeds outside mostly if it's something they have to gnaw on and are going to make a mess with. If it's ground up and fits in a bowl they're good about keeping it pretty clean. We always wipe their faces when they finish though, just so they're not wiping raw meat all around the house!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I feel the same Cdnjennga, raw food and in the morning (breakfast rush :) ) some good quality kibble - didn't decide which one yet.
The water I'm planing to use is RO/DI filtered water, since I'm using that for my reef tank and for me too :) , I hope this is acceptable for puppies too.
I'm sure that water is fine! I'm not sure what I'll do with my mini poo, but my mom only feeds our PWDs once a day in the evening. Obviously a pup needs to be fed more often, but I'm not sure if I'll also do kibble in the morning and raw at night or raw at both meals.

Really my mom is going to tell me what to do, haha. She has been feeding raw for 5 years now and has really good knowledge about it all. I really don't know anything (yet).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm sure that water is fine! I'm not sure what I'll do with my mini poo, but my mom only feeds our PWDs once a day in the evening. Obviously a pup needs to be fed more often, but I'm not sure if I'll also do kibble in the morning and raw at night or raw at both meals.

Really my mom is going to tell me what to do, haha. She has been feeding raw for 5 years now and has really good knowledge about it all. I really don't know anything (yet).
I think your momma will tell you to feed raw all the time... :p
With a pup that small it shouldn't be an issue feeding two or three times a day, think how fast a frozen protion of food for a dog that small will thaw! lol

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I feed Riley raw. I feed prey-model, and he has been doing really well on this for 6 years. My favorite benefit (besides the poop) is his white teeth/nice breath! I see SO many dogs with Horrible teeth daily, that it is very nice to have a dog (7yo none the less) with nice teeth/gums.

Riley eats outside, and always has. It works really well for us, Riley is comfortable out there, and we dont have a problem with animals/insects bothering him. If it is super cold or rainy out then he is shut in teh garage. He eats once a day.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We feed evanger Pheasant and Brown rice dogs do great on it Plus we cook for them as well as feed Raw elk bones

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato plus a protein source such as hamburger or Natural Balance tube o' food.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Currently, Taste of the Wild, Wilderness blend.

In the past we have fed Innova, California Natural, as well as Natural Balance duck and potato. Due to special needs we have had one dog on raw food as well.

I think they do better on a grain free diet. Raw would be ideal but I just can't do it at this time. I do give them occasional bit of Primal raw as a treat.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We feed Diamond Chicken & Brown Rice. Ours seem to do better on this then anything else we have tried. Their tummies do not get sensitive like they did on a lot of the different ones that we tried in the past. It was trial and error there for a while. Their weights stay proper, their energy level is great and their stools are very normal, not messy or stinky or an over abundance of. We use to use bottled water, but recently bought a "Drinkwell" pet water bowl that has a pump that continuously pushes water thru a charcoal filter. It has different caps w/various amts. of holes in it to choose from, for various types of water flow. It is actually very soothing, looks like and sounds like an indoor water fountain, our dogs just love it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nuetro Max kibble in the morning mixed with unflavored yogurt, oil with vitamins, garlic tablets to control fleas, and an egg. Raw meat in the evening.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I currently feed Diamond Naturals: Chicken and Rice. If I only had my poodles they would be on Taste of the Wild: Pacific Stream. I really want to try their new line of caned foods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts