Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a while since I have visited here. Searching for the right Breeder /puppy has been a roller coaster. A few past attempts did not work out.

I am getting a puppy from a litter than was newly born from a show home. I expressed interest was a female. The breeder recommended a male... not the first time by far

do breeders push males? I honestly do not get they are more loving than a female. I had female dogs my entire adult life (first time Poodle mom to be) and they were all filled with love for their human family,

my question to breeders... why do all of you push your males?? It makes it so confusing to a new puppy home when your heart is set on a female... so to hear how a male will make a better dog/pet/family member has truly thrown me

I want to make the right choice, first time ever having a large dog ... all my pets have been full toy breeds. (All females)

stepping away from my comfort zone is big enough. Would truly appreciate some honest feed back
Thanks in advance 🐾

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Do you know if it has to do with the number of available pups of each gender? With poodles it seems the girls are in higher demand, so the breeder may just have more males available. But personality is much more important than gender.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if it has to do with the number of available pups of each gender? With poodles it seems the girls are in higher demand, so the breeder may just have more males available. But personality is much more important than gender.
there is a female available for me, but he still felt I should go with a male. He personally thinks they are better pets. He’s super nice and does speak from his heart. He’s truly a top notch reputable breeder

In the past , the breeders I talked with all pushed males.

I am finding it odd they all do this when a female is available. Figured I’d ask 😊

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
That doesn't really make sense to me. So he's okay with giving the "less good pet" to another owner? No. It sounds like he's got multiple people wanting females and is being a salesman. That doesn't mean he's not a nice person, but it does make it tricky to trust his assessment of each puppy's suitability for you.

If he was saying he had a specific puppy in mind for you, which he feels is an excellent fit for your specific needs and circumstances and just happens to be a male, that would be a different story. I'd appreciate that input from a breeder.

But what he's currently saying would have me feeling torn, too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some breeds, like Bedlingtons, produce more males than females and for this reason females will either be kept by the breeder, or only go to a breeding/show home. I don't know about poodles. I only had a male and he was a sweetheart. However, it depends on your personality. If you they say females aren't as loving, maybe that is fine with you.

Or, if it is a standard poodle thing rather than all poodles, maybe a large mini wold work for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
My two cents on males vs. females: My experience with the challenges of a hyper-smart female poodle has me open to trying something different next time. I never thought I'd consider a male, but Poodle Forum has definitely changed my mind. Now I'd just want the best puppy in the litter for me. Male or female.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have been wondering the same🤔 Sisko's breeder pushed Sisko on us. I'm not unhappy with him, but I do find it odd when breeders do this.

I'm thinking the same as PTP with just wanting the best and a good fit for me.

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
My boy's breeder, described Leonard's personality to a T, he is my first boy after 6 girls.
Someone here on the forum once said
"That poodle females love you and poodle males are in love with you."
I have to agree.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That doesn't really make sense to me. So he's okay with giving the "less good pet" to another owner? No. It sounds like he's got multiple people wanting females and is being a salesman. That doesn't mean he's not a nice person, but it does make it tricky to trust his assessment of each puppy's suitability for you.

If he was saying he had a specific puppy in mind for you, which he feels is an excellent fit for your specific needs and circumstances and just happens to be a male, that would be a different story. I'd appreciate that input from a breeder.

But what he's currently saying would have me feeling torn, too.
He still offered for me to have a female. But he felt a male would be better for us.

its not solely about him, I have a lot of trust in him and his program. In the past most talked how their males were better than females.
hearing time and time again I really am wondering why... that is all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been wondering the same🤔 Sisko's breeder pushed Sisko on us. I'm not unhappy with him, but I do find it odd when breeders do this.

I'm thinking the same as PTP with just wanting the best and a good fit for me.
have you had females in the past? I agree, most do this. I think more so when they do not have females. On the flip, even when they do have females, they tried to talk you into a male. I am thinking most desire the female so they try to push the males on who ever was open to take one.

I can’t say for sure they are more lovable because my girls have all been attached to everyone in our family. I have a female toy and she does not leave my side. She will happily take the love from all of us with out reservations...

I am not opposed to a male at all, some times I think a change will be good. But wanted to know the reasoning behind it.
Do you prefer your females over your male?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My two cents on males vs. females: My experience with the challenges of a hyper-smart female poodle has me open to trying something different next time. I never thought I'd consider a male, but Poodle Forum has definitely changed my mind. Now I'd just want the best puppy in the litter for me. Male or female.
I am not opposed to a male. I often think change may be good. I was just wondering why most breeders push males

I am just torn in what to do. Yes, he wants me to have the right puppy. right now they are a few days old so there is no way to tell about temperament right now... won’t be for a while. I will wait and see!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My boy's breeder, described Leonard's personality to a T, he is my first boy after 6 girls.
Someone here on the forum once said
"That poodle females love you and poodle males are in love with you."
I have to agree.
Oh wow. You are another who always had females! Glad to hear you are loving your boy. I will wait and see where this goes.. I could very well end up with a male.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
have you had females in the past? I agree, most do this. I think more so when they do not have females. On the flip, even when they do have females, they tried to talk you into a male. I am thinking most desire the female so they try to push the males on who ever was open to take one.

I can’t say for sure they are more lovable because my girls have all been attached to everyone in our family. I have a female toy and she does not leave my side. She will happily take the love from all of us with out reservations...

I am not opposed to a male at all, some times I think a change will be good. But wanted to know the reasoning behind it.
Do you prefer your females over your male?
Yes, my family and I had a female Australian Shepherd and she was the best. I'm not sure if it was because of her being a female or not though. I don't think I have a preference, because I haven't owned a male dog from when it was a puppy, Sisko is my first time.

I started a thread about males vs females. I'll find it and post the link for you.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Okay, I just searched on here and there's a lot of threads about it. I would suggest that you read through them. I can post mine here too if you like. Good luck with picking one!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I suspect the breeder is doing this because females are easier to place. Even if he has a female available, perhaps he knows the males in the litter will be harder to place than females so he would prefer you go with one of them. My family has had both and I think they both make great pets. Males have a reputation as being slower to mature and more clingy than females, whereas females are more independent. But there's a lot of individual variation. I love my current boy very much. I prefer a breeder that pairs pups with owners based on temperament.

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
I wanted a super healthy poodle with a good temperament, and that is what I got. I love my boy, I will always have a soft spot for girls, but I am open to getting another boy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have always had females and will always have females. I know people who are the reverse, they always had and always will have males. Then there are some people to whom it really doesn't matter. That being said, my breeder said she loves the boys the best and if it weren't for needing the bitches for breeding, she would have all boys LOL...On average, there are definitely general differences between bitches and dogs personality-wise and I gravitate towards bitches, I like their attitude, demeanor, and I like training, working and showing them. Some people feel just as strongly about working with boys. Ultimately, it comes down to what you really want. My breeder knew I would never consider a boy, so our conversations never went there.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I get an inquiry for an upcoming litter, I normally try to steer the prospective puppy client to be neutral toward the sex of the puppy. My wait list is normally full before the puppies are born and I have had (rarely) litters in the past that were all male or all female, or heavy male or female. When that is the case the puppy buyer ends up very disappointed.
I hear what you are saying about people wanting females, but in most cases I have more people looking for boys. In my current litter I have 8 puppies, 4 boys and 4 girls, 6 reds and 2 apricots. My wait list had 2 wanting girls, 4 only wanting boys, and 2 that were open leaning toward a boy.
After the puppy temperament test I will be able to begin determining which puppy will be placed in which forever home.

·
Premium Member
9,712 Posts
I would want a red boy from you Terry, and would wait and wait, for the right one. I believe you can get the gender you want, the personality you want, the color you want, if you are patient and get in line early. If it has to be the current litter, and you want a puppy from that breeding, the smart play is to defer to the breeder on gender/color.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts