Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so sorry...fair warning. Back out if you're easily grossed out.

My mini poodle, Helmet, tends to pee on his front legs when we take him outside. He has to be bathed constantly and I have these wipes that I use to wipe down his legs....but is there anything I can do to stop it? Is it just a "poodle" thing...or is my dog just "special'?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe quite a few members here with male dogs have mentioned this happening to them, so your definitely not alone. It's just something you have to deal with as a poodle owner.

I think some have suggested ordering waterproof leggings and keeping wipes handy!

Actually I found the previous topic. Hope you find something useful.

http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=480

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I don't understand...Helmet doesn't squat.....he lifts his leg. He either pees right between his front two legs or hits the outside of his front leg. It's insane. When he suqated, he never did that.

And he's sitting here on the back of the couching trying to look all "angelic". Stinkin poodle. If only he knew what I was typing...

mwahahahahaha

·
Registered
843 Posts
LOL...he alternates between all of our fruit trees.
I find the worst pee used to be the morning one...long one.. he would get bored with it and moved on while still peeing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think I remember something about the length of hair on the penis being the answer but cant remember if it is long or short better Casey lifts his leg now so problem mostly gone.
I can see how in a smaller dog it would still be issue.
humm sorry no answer

·
Registered
486 Posts
"They" say to leave a few strands long to make a wick on the end so it will deflect the stream. Never worked with any of my boys. I think it is a young dog thing, my older guy grew out of pissing on his leg.
Carole

·
Registered
17 Posts
FUNNY! I laughed when I saw this post...Sampson does the same thing! It's not as bad now that we trimmed his legs down some, but he will still manages to sprinkle himself from time to time! I can't wait untill he starts lifting his leg...

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes Enzo does the same thing. I cut his hair off because leaving the hair does not work plus it looks nasty in the show ring. All of the show people I have seen cut the hair off too lol

We made some leggins for Enzo's so he will not pee on his legs they work great.

·
Registered
315 Posts
you could buy some fox urin or take some of your dogs stool/urin and put it on a stump or on a large rock so he has to raise leg to pee on it.

Otherwise.. aside from that its gross and has minor corosive properties..
Pee is completely sterile, unlike stool it is not from digestion but is water and metabolic waste. BUT.. being so rich in solute. sugar, salt, dead blood cells, and protien bacteria can proliferate in it rather quickly.

So technically if you rinsed it off him he should be fine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yes, I agree that it is a young boy dog problem. Our light cream male spoo use to have this problem when he was younger, but has outgrown it as an adult. He was 10 mo. old when we got him and was cut in a continintal clip with pom poms on his legs. If we had not rinsed him off almost every time he peed, he would have been going around with yellow pom poms on his legs, guess we could have not rinsed him off and tried to pass him off as a designer dog in color. LOL

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose is over 2 and he still does this occasionally.

This morning I had to hose his leg he did it so bad though :( He normally starts out great, going outside of his body and then he gets tired or bored and slowly it works its way to his leg! If we are lucky it goes past the leg and between both his legs and he goes into a squat again.

What's really bad is if he's running and then decides he has to poop but also has to pee... he pees on his chest, and poops at the same time... now that is not pretty!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Poodle Lover, your spoos look great also. I just noticed that you are from San Francisco, we're distant neighbors. We are in the valley, near Modesto.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Within 10 minutes from the groomer, my grandparents standard has peed on the back of his front legs.

He is 18 months now, but I think it has something to do with how he runs off before he finishes peeing lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts