Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We were scheduled to pick up our standard pup at the end of July but I learned today that two didn鈥檛 make it and we were too far down the waiting list 馃槥 I feel such a sense of loss, we have been planning and researching and truly felt connected to the pup鈥檚 parents. Has anyone else been through this? So sad for the breeder too.

Premium Member
I am sorry to see that, We've been very lucky with puppy finding. Our GSD is from BFs breeder of his previous dog. I found Lily close to home about a minth after I started looking and Javelin's breeder is someone who I had been watching for a while and who had a litter arrive just about when I had decided I was ready to go.

Will the breeder you've worked wiht have another litter soon that you could be closer to the top of the wait list? Or are you going to look at other breeders?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I am unsure of the exact cause of the pups' deaths. They were both born small and the breeder was working closely with them from day 1. They were only 4 days old today. Is this something that happens with litters from time to time?

The breeder has offered to put us on the wait list for her next litter, which will be bred in September. She also has a friend who she is mentoring who is planning to breed a litter in July with the father of this current litter and a female that is co-owned with this breeder.

We were very much hoping for a summer pup due to kids' school schedules and our work schedule, but of course we are willing to wait.

What does everyone think with regard to checking out other breeders? I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

Registered
I'm not sure if it's normal but if it we're me I'd be a little concerned that she lost 2. That's just me though, it may be completely normal. hopefully, someone on here knows more about that. I'd go on the waitlist but I'd also check around. Never hurts to check, you may find a breeder that you like more. I know when our breeder called us, I still checked around for a few days before putting my deposit down. It gave me time to check everything, and let the pups develop a bit before choosing and ensured I got the pup I truly wanted bc I tend to jump into things. After looking and talking with a few breeders, I just knew I preferred our breeder. I prefer summer pups too, that way their potty trained before winter! Our winters are cold! lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback. This is all new to me. I do know that this was the first litter for this mom. I had put down a deposit while mom was pregnant (is that typical?).

Premium Member
Not all pups (or for that matter human babies) "make it." There are any number of possible reasons: genetic developmental abnormalitites; poor in utero nutrition or that pup's placenta wasn't positioned well or had some defect and pup had general failure to thrive prenatally, various mom factors and so forth. Unless the dam is experienced and this has happened with her before I would not worry about it. I would not particularly go on a wait list and then withdraw because you decided to go with someone else. It is one thing to be on a list and withdraw for "life change" reasons, but I don't think I woul djust dump a breeder I really felt a good rapport with. It is fine to look at her mentee since it was the original breeder who mentioned her, but totally someone else feels not quite like something I would do.

Reactions: Whoiscoconut

Registered
I've personally never put down a deposit until I picked out the puppy. This was my first time going off a waitlist but she still allowed us to wait and watch them develop before the deposit. I know all breeders work differently though. All that matters is what you're comfortable with.

Registered
I don't think I'd feel guilty checking out others. Mainly because if you happen to find the perfect pup elsewhere, there's always people below you on the waitlists. Again, all in what makes you comfortable.

Premium Member
I don't think I'd feel guilty checking out others. Mainly because if you happen to find the perfect pup elsewhere, there's always people below you on the waitlists. Again, all in what makes you comfortable.

For me not guilty but since I show in obedience which is sort of a smallish world I think about how word gets around and want to not think I left a breeder feeling I was fickle so to speak if I hoped to get a puppy from them down the road. I expect though that there is likely to be only one more poodle in my future since I am over 60 and spoos are a handful for at least two years. My bad knees probably won't be any better ten years or more from now than they are now. Silly on me, huh?

Reactions: Asta's Mom

Registered
For me not guilty but since I show in obedience which is sort of a smallish world I think about how word gets around and want to not think I left a breeder feeling I was fickle so to speak if I hoped to get a puppy from them down the road. I expect though that there is likely to be only one more poodle in my future since I am over 60 and spoos are a handful for at least two years. My bad knees probably won't be any better ten years or more from now than they are now. Silly on me, huh?
I didn't say you we're silly. It's all in what someone wants. I purchase for pets, you purchase for show. Our wants in a dog are probably much different. All Breeders are different and I'm sure run in different ways. Most I've met just want their clients to find their perfect puppy, whether it's with them or elsewhere. I personally wouldn't place money on a puppy prior to picking one, you may feel differently. For me I'd worry what if the pups come and none were what I wanted? What if the next time the dam loses more puppies and that reveals problems? Differences in opinions doesn't make anyone silly or wrong. I'm sorry if you felt I was aiming at you bc I wasn't. There's so many different options, and everyone has various preferences. You may also see different sides of breeders that I don't since I'm not in the spotlight of the dog world.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for asking. They are OK, sad, but understanding overall. My 10 year old is definitely processing it the most fully. I'm having the hardest time holding it together of the 5 of us in my family to be honest. We had just voted on names and have been reading the Monks of New Skete (the "What to Expect" for dog owners LOL), had just found a trainer, etc. We also planned our trip in July to pick up the pup, we literally picked a date yesterday. Maybe this early on it was a little much but I wanted to be prepared. The parents of this litter are lovely as well and I enjoyed learning all about them. I keep thinking of the breeder, and how hard this must be. I'm sure sharing news like this with potential new owners is not an easy thing to do.

Super Moderator
That would truly be crushing. I'm so sorry.

Peggy's mama recently had an emergency c-section. Luckily, all the pups survived. But things do happen that are beyond anyone's control.

Even more than your connection to the breeder, if you really felt a connection to that dam and sire (assuming they're being bred again, and assuming this is an excellent, experienced breeder) I'd wait for that litter. There are pros and cons to summer pups (and fall pups and winter pups and spring pups), so I wouldn't let that sway me too much, but you know your lifestyle best.

Registered
I'm not sure if it's normal but if it we're me I'd be a little concerned that she lost 2. That's just me though, it may be completely normal. hopefully, someone on here knows more about that. I'd go on the waitlist but I'd also check around. Never hurts to check, you may find a breeder that you like more. I know when our breeder called us, I still checked around for a few days before putting my deposit down. It gave me time to check everything, and let the pups develop a bit before choosing and ensured I got the pup I truly wanted bc I tend to jump into things. After looking and talking with a few breeders, I just knew I preferred our breeder. I prefer summer pups too, that way their potty trained before winter! Our winters are cold! lol
Having newborn puppies die can be due to a wide variety of causes. It is not often caused by negligence on the part of the breeder. If it was a large litter, it is not at all unusual to lose one or two, usually the ones who are the smallest/weakest. Such puppies may have had less nutrition in utero and are unable to compete strongly for the best teat after birth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts