Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with my mom finally making the decision on not keeping my last puppy because of her dogs being older I finally advertised him locally and online. I’ve immediately have tons of messages from people who most have turned out to be doodlers. Which I have turned down. I don’t want that life for him. I had another person who wanted him but didn’t want to drive 3 hrs.

My FIL was talking about buying him from me but I talked it over with my daughter and we both agreed that’s not the right home for him either .Even though it would be nice that we could see him. I couldn’t imagine my MIL trying to train a puppy while my FIL is gone and she isn’t a dog person at all. Are we being too picky? So right now I’m playing the waiting game hoping the right family is out there but.....it’s only been a few days.

Remind me why is it bad to keep siblings. I’ve never had a dog that loving stares at me like this one. He will stay by my side and watch the others play and join in sometimes but he always comes back to hang out at my feet and lovingly stare at me. I’ve seriously never heard of a puppy like this. He is so sweet. I love the girl that we are keeping too and she is so sweet and playful but this little guy is so different.

My husband at this time is saying no to keeping a third dog. It’s not really in the plans right now. It really doesn’t help that boy is REALLY loud if you put him in the puppy pen. He wants free run of the house. The girls pups will sit back and look at him like he is crazy. Must be a boy thing. I wouldn’t know all my dogs and almost all animals have been females lol.

One thing I know would make it difficult is hormones...having a boy and a girl in a house would be rough during her season since it isn’t ideal to have him fixed until at least 18 months right? I have to keep reminding myself no but it is certainly hard .

3FE7A5A9-8BCB-4B14-B954-D712638D106D.jpg

Our first born girl taught herself how to play fetch by watching her mom and brings it back like a pro. So smart at 10 weeks! The others don’t have the interest yet. All of them know how to sit and leash training is going well. I sent a video to her new mom and she is thrilled . She will be going home this coming week.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That can be avoided though by making sure they have their own time and training time though right? He seems fine when I take him on his car rides without siblings.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, it can be dealt with, but it is a LOT of work. If you're motivated and committed to training each individually, I'm sure you can do it. Just so you know what you're getting into ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
This isn't very helpful of me, but GOSH he's sure cute. I think I'd give in to those little eyes gazing up at me, too.

Our trainer has some not-very-nice things to say about keeping siblings (as well as the integrity of breeders who knowingly sell siblings to the same household). And she's speaking from lots of firsthand experience.

Perhaps keep the boy, since you've bonded so tightly with him, and find a home for the girl?

P.S. What do you mean by doodlers? People who are looking to breed doodles?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This isn't very helpful of me, but GOSH he's sure cute. I think I'd give in to those little eyes gazing up at me, too.

Our trainer has some not-very-nice things to say about keeping siblings (as well as the integrity of breeders who knowingly sell siblings to the same household). And she's speaking from lots of firsthand experience.

Perhaps keep the boy, since you've bonded so tightly with him, and find a home for the girl?

Everyone loves the little girl. She isn’t like the boy but she is so spunky and bold I have plans on showing her. She just wiggles her whole body when she greets DH (lol I’m jealous) . I wouldn’t say I love him more than her .. they are just different.

Yes people who want to breed crosses. They seem to be almost pushy like “ Can I pick him up tomorrow? “ without even telling me a thing about them. Research is how I found out. Another seemed almost like perfect home but still I don’t agree with crossing. I told both people it’s limited AKC but that doesn’t bother them at all.

I guess I have to think about how much work I want to put in ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay not helping either but he’s so cute. Look at that awesome eye contact and focus I bet he’d be a dream to train since he just naturally looks to you. Is he not show quality? Maybe keep and show him instead? If you absolutely can only keep 1. And I heard at least from all the breeders I talked to it’s easier to find girls good homes than boys since most people want to put bows in their hair and dress them in cute little dresses and buy all these cute pink accessories they see in stores.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Everyone loves the little girl. She isn’t like the boy but she is so spunky and bold I have plans on showing her. She just wiggles her whole body when she greets DH (lol I’m jealous) . I wouldn’t say I love him more than her .. they are just different.

Yes people who want to breed crosses. They seem to be almost pushy like “ Can I pick him up tomorrow? “ without even telling me a thing about them. Research is how I found out. Another seemed almost like perfect home but still I don’t agree with crossing. I told both people it’s limited AKC but that doesn’t bother them at all.

I guess I have to think about how much work I want to put in ..
P.S the limited probably didn’t bother them because you can’t register mixed breed puppies with AKC anyway. There’s a bernadoodle breeder in Seattle who has fake AKC papers on her site for the parents to help her sell her 4K puppies. So I’d imagine a doodler hearing that the puppy will have legit AKC papers would be a dream come true to them lol less work having to make a fake one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aww she’s adorable too. Maybe you can have a powerhouse sibling duo. Her conquering conformation and him taking over the obedience ring. He just looks so in love with you. The saying girls love you and boys fall in love with you has seemed to be very true at least for the dogs I’ve owned and been around.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I will keep interviewing,give it more time and also keep working on my husband. The having different sexes in the house does make me concern for my sanity though I’m sure I could work through it...do I want to...? Decisions...

In October puppy classes start up and I am going to have my daughter take our girl. If I still have him will it be a big distraction to take the boy also? Or they have handling classes at the same time . I was planning on taking Sandy for the practice while my daughter does puppy class , but I could practice with the boy instead.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
... I’ve never had a dog that loving stares at me like this one. He will stay by my side and watch the others play and join in sometimes but he always comes back to hang out at my feet and lovingly stare at me. I’ve seriously never heard of a puppy like this. He is so sweet...

Soulmates?

Did you take this photo of him? I'm guessing you did. Yes he's beautiful and looks very smart, but there's something else in his eyes. That dog is all about you.

While you've been trying to pick a human for him, he clearly has picked you. My gut feeling is he'd be a fabulous dog for you, the kind that you remember well decades from now.

Or I could be reading too much into a photo.

My Hindsight

Decades ago I went to pick out a puppy from a large litter of eight or nine pups, and had gone there to specifically get a black one. However, there were also several reddish-golden pups from that litter. One in particular was very drawn to me, and she was very calm. She looked so disappointed and even gave a little bark of unhappiness when I told the owner I would get a black one. My decision was based on color and thinking I wanted a black puppy.

In hindsight, it didn't take long to feel I had made a mistake to chose based on color rather than chemistry. That little reddish-gold puppy knew we'd be a good fit. In my inexperience, I chose the wrong puppy, sort of like how when you're young you choose a boyfriend/girlfriend based on appearance rather than compatibility. The one I got was nice but had a high energy level and never connected on a deep level, so I later found her a good home that was better fit for her.

Downsides?

The downside of keeping two of the puppies is now you'll have three dogs. That's three times the food and poop to clean up, and the grooming. This may or may not be a big deal or problem.

As for the neutering, he'd be fine by doing this at 14 months. Keeping him away from your girls when they're in heat is doable, and will be an inconvenience only for brief periods. Maybe your in-laws would be happy to keep him during these times. Also I don't know all the ins & outs of how your MIL & FIL are, but giving/selling them the puppy might work out far better than expected and you'd still get to see him.

I don't put a lot of stock in the Sibling Syndrome, mainly b/c I've observed it to be different for different owners. Some people really say they had a problem, while others I've known personally bought two sibs and they're very happy. If your sibs get along great now, my guess is this won't change. Others will chime in with their experiences.

Where's Home Gonna Be?

Personally from my own life experience, I'd have a really tough time with this decision and would end up keeping him, but only if I had the space. Second to that to a relative or friend. Good luck screening the ads if you decide to sell, and try to do a home visit and meet all the family members and get referrals from them; this way your mind can rest easy that you found the right fit for him. That little guy is exceptional and hopefully will have a wonderful life.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I screen shot that from this video I took (last week I think) . I wasn’t holding a treat.

https://www.facebook.com/Merrilee7/videos/pcb.10218817582803970/10218817550763169/?type=3&theater

My FIL isn’t the problem I know he wants a dog. It’s just my MIL (she’s Chinese) has different views of animals than I and most animals lovers do. She doesn’t see dogs as part of the family though she likes that she doesn’t have to waste food when they are around. My daughter said no he needs to go to a home with kids. If I did give him to my FIL I know I would be doing all the grooming it almost would be the same as keeping him except I wouldnt be able to control things that I disagreed about.

Thank you for giving me your insight. I have a lot to think about and it would have to be a family decision. The space and room isn’t a problem as we have 10 acres...lots of places for them to poop:aetsch:. Florida heat breaks it down pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Oh he's so cute, and follows you around so nicely. As for your in-laws, it doesn't sound like your MIL will let him share their bed, and I'll bet she'll train him to stay off the furniture if nothing else. I'd guess he'd be your FIL's lap dog.

Looking at the video, though, I can easily see where the little guy would be happy with a family with one or more nice children, running and playing with them. I do hope he lands in such a family.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm not trying to nudge you, but my experience is that it is possible to raise two puppies at the same time, littermates or otherwise. The amount of effort is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced, but it is possible for you, your family, and the pups to all come thru the challenges, laughter, and sanity questioning, to success.

We meet 20170623_17_03_28_Moment(2).jpg

Recent 20190813_163826.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My husband was pretty firm with not adding a 2nd puppy. I figured I can work on him but at the same time I did keep advertising him. This morning I got contacted by someone who sounded like they would be a really good home for him. They had a mini poodle that passed last Easter from kidney failure at 8yrs old and have decided they were ready start over again with a puppy.

They live locally and we met with them and got to see where he would live and they got to meet him. They really like him ( well not sure anyone wouldn’t) and they are coming to see his mom and plan on picking him up tomorrow. I really like that the husband (retired) stays at home so he wouldn’t be left for hours and hours at a time. Pup is a really calm baby so I think he will fit them perfectly.

I will really miss him ..oh but wait. She would like me to groom him! I told her I’m not a professional but I don’t mind if she wants me to groom him for her.

This is him before I tried out my new mini Arco (which I like so far! So easy to do feet.) . I wasn’t sure to clip his face or grow it out so I asked the lady before we went to see her and she said she likes a clean poodle face so off the went the hair.

3CECB41B-AC68-4FC2-9843-1CA1BCCA4E1C.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
My husband was pretty firm with not adding a 2nd puppy. I figured I can work on him but at the same time I did keep advertising him. This morning I got contacted by someone who sounded like they would be a really good home for him. They had a mini poodle that passed last Easter from kidney failure at 8yrs old and have decided they were ready start over again with a puppy.

They live locally and we met with them and got to see where he would live and they got to meet him. They really like him ( well not sure anyone wouldn’t) and they are coming to see his mom and plan on picking him up tomorrow. I really like that the husband (retired) stays at home so he wouldn’t be left for hours and hours at a time. Pup is a really calm baby so I think he will fit them perfectly.

I will really miss him ..oh but wait. She would like me to groom him! I told her I’m not a professional but I don’t mind if she wants me to groom him for her.

This is him before I tried out my new mini Arco (which I like so far! So easy to do feet.) . I wasn’t sure to clip his face or grow it out so I asked the lady before we went to see her and she said she likes a clean poodle face so off the went the hair.

View attachment 451891

Well that's a no brainer. I was about to suggest getting rid of husband and keeping that face, but you were saved this a.m.

Sell....that face....to.....the.....locals. Groom that face. See that face as he grows up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts