Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s easy to focus on what our dogs can’t do and the issues they may have but today is a reminder to also focus on what they can do, the training successes, the proud moments. Had to get a new hot water tank today as ours pooped out. The water has definitely been cold! 🥶Bobby was put in his room per their request and I would have done so anyway just to keep things calm so the person can work and easily go in and out our back door. Bobby will totally be safe and calm in his room. Anyway, Bobby definitely knew there was a stranger walking back to and into the house with me. He began to bark. I think to myself, Good boy Bobby. So what am I proud of? After a few barks I told him calmly through the bedroom door, “It’s all good,” “Thank you,” my usual words to let him know...it’s all good in any situation I need him to be calm and stop barking. Not a peep since. I really am so pleased with him and I am pleased that our training really worked! Because our Great Dane was such a barker I worked really, really hard to train so Bobby wouldn’t be an out of control barker. Part of it is his personality but I do like to think the training helped. I’m so proud. He really believed me when I said, “It’s all good!” 😊

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
that is lovely to have happen. We normally don't have much of anyone other than us at our home, especially since COVID started it is mostly just food deliveries at the front door and that is often a bit hectic. We have some plumbing work going on now too, being done in 3 parts. Part 1 and 2 are done, part 3 will be next Monday. Everyone was hyper for the first part but eventually settled. By the time part 2 was done they all hardly paid attention. I am looking forward to part 3 so that I can further take advantage on more training for this situation. You've definitely a few steps ahead of me in this area. You should be proud!

Reactions: Spottytoes

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Good boy Bobby. Good work Spottytoes.

You are wise to step back and enjoy the progress you have accomplished. I do this too. Sometimes when you are training a behavior, especially in the middle it can feel like it is taking too long or maybe you won’t be successful. A few months later when you are seeing reliable success it’s good to remember how you felt and enjoy your success and use that to encourage you with teaching new behaviors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts