Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I was at work today, adventurous Phoebe Duck went prancing thru the sticky burrs. Last time this happened, it took 2 hrs of combing to get them out and I found more the next day. This time, I couldn't comb them. There were too many! 馃槶 So Phoebe Duck had to be shaved down with a 10 blade. It's a butcher cut, no mistake! Her puppy coat is gone, and she looks like a funny little (shorn) sheep!! I tried saving her topknot, but I think that'll have to go, too! 馃槙

It's hair, and it grows, right???
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Water dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Registered
She doesn't look the least bit concerned, look at those eyes and head tilts 馃構 "What's wrong mama?!"
The "original puppy coat fluff" may be hacked off, but she's not really in coat change so you'll still see the soft and sweet hair grow back in. At least that was my experience. Bennie's coat change has been so gradual. I've shaved her down a number of times now and she's still not all tight curls. The shift from wave to curl is a process. All good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She doesn't look the least bit concerned, look at those eyes and head tilts 馃構 "What's wrong mama?!"
The "original puppy coat fluff" may be hacked off, but she's not really in coat change so you'll still see the soft and sweet hair grow back in. At least that was my experience. Bennie's coat change has been so gradual. I've shaved her down a number of times now and she's still not all tight curls. The shift from wave to curl is a process. All good.
On the plus side, DH is convinced we made the right choice by buying all the grooming supplies we did. 3 baths, 2 shave downs, her FFT, multiple sticky burr removals. All in the past 3 weeks (the first 2 weeks we had her were grooming free).

She's still got a few months until coat change. I'm just a little upset because she was looking just so cute and poodley!!! it'll grow back, I know, but still... Now I'm going to have to spend my weekend hunting sticky burr plants. If I can avoid a third shave down... Some of these were matted down to the skin. She had them in her ears, right at the corners of her eyes, even on her yak-a-boo!! she was not happy with this grooming!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But an adorable sheep!

For future reference a bit of coconut oil is great for removing burrs. Rub it into the burr and they comb right out with a steel comb. Might help you salvage some of the topknot. I don't have the patience to deburr a whole dog.

Also what on earth is a yack-a-boo?
I had sprayed her with CC detangling solution. It wasn't enough for her body and legs, but I think her topknot will live another day. There were also small sticks wrapped up in her fur. As in 1 or 2 inch pieces that snapped off. I don't know if coconut oil would have worked with the amount of debris, but I'll try it next time. I wish there weren't going to be a next time for the sticky burrs, though!

A yak-a-boo is her vulva. Much more fun to say. 馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, go short. Make life easy.
I'm thinking I'll have to be extra careful with my lawn care next year. Death to the Sticky Burrs!!!

But regarding her fur, DH wants a version of the lamb cut with long legs. I'm thinking a short version of the modified Continental would work better, since her legs and back half would be shaved. That's where the majority of trouble was. Granted, she did get them everywhere... I really don't want to shave her all over (again) if I don't have to!

Premium Member
I had sprayed her with CC detangling solution. It wasn't enough for her body and legs, but I think her topknot will live another day. There were also small sticks wrapped up in her fur. As in 1 or 2 inch pieces that snapped off. I don't know if coconut oil would have worked with the amount of debris, but I'll try it next time. I wish there weren't going to be a next time for the sticky burrs, though!

A yak-a-boo is her vulva. Much more fun to say. 馃槣
Yak a boo sure is more fun to say! I call it a hoo ha!

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
I'm thinking I'll have to be extra careful with my lawn care next year. Death to the Sticky Burrs!!!

But regarding her fur, DH wants a version of the lamb cut with long legs. I'm thinking a short version of the modified Continental would work better, since her legs and back half would be shaved. That's where the majority of trouble was. Granted, she did get them everywhere... I really don't want to shave her all over (again) if I don't have to!
Compromise and go with a Bikini. That's the clip Simon's been in most of his 17 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Compromise and go with a Bikini. That's the clip Simon's been in most of his 17 months.
I'll put it on my list of possibilities for when she finally gets her adult coat. It might be the least painful way to go.

And does Simon know he's wearing a bikini ?!?! (Sorry! I couldn't resist!)

Registered

Registered
Elroy is in more of a Kennel Clip. The Bikini is a Miami pattern set with a short blade, like a 10. That's according to the Shirlee Kalstone book, anyway.

Registered
The main difference between the Miami/Bikini and the Kennel/Retriever clips are the foot floofs, aka bracelets. The former have them, and the latter don't.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom
1 - 18 of 18 Posts